Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 44,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Am I missing someting? Can't do a hard reset ...

Tip us?
 
aublumberg
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 102
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Default Am I missing someting? Can't do a hard reset ...

Trying to do a hardreset by following the manual ...

Press and hold the left SOFT KEY and the right SOFT KEY, and at the same time, use the stylus to press the RESET button at the bottom of your device.

OK ... tried that ... but the device just does a soft reset and starts up normally afterwards. The left / right soft keys are the ones you use to select the associated menu / selection options in applications.

Note that the hard reset through the other route works fine:

1. Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Clear Storage.
2. Type "1234" in the box and tap YES.

Am I missing something here ...?
HTC Touch Pro
 
gogol
Old
#2  
gogol's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 144
Posts: 3,403
Join Date: May 2005
I got same result.

However, you can do this :

1. Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Clear Storage.
2. Type "1234" in the box and tap YES.

I did that, and it hard reset the device nicely.
Nexus 5 : Android 4.4.1 stock ROM, stock recovery, rooted
 
sherpa
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 636
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogol View Post
I got same result.

However, you can do this :

1. Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Clear Storage.
2. Type "1234" in the box and tap YES.

I did that, and it hard reset the device nicely.
LOL! OP already said that this process works!
 
sherpa
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 636
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aublumberg View Post
Trying to do a hardreset by following the manual ...

Press and hold the left SOFT KEY and the right SOFT KEY, and at the same time, use the stylus to press the RESET button at the bottom of your device.

OK ... tried that ... but the device just does a soft reset and starts up normally afterwards. The left / right soft keys are the ones you use to select the associated menu / selection options in applications.

Note that the hard reset through the other route works fine:

1. Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Clear Storage.
2. Type "1234" in the box and tap YES.

Am I missing something here ...?
Make sure you have both buttons pressed and held when you hit the reset button and don't let the buttons go until you see the screen flash again. Then, as soon as the screen flashes let the buttons go and you should see the reset menu.
 
aublumberg
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 102
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa View Post
Make sure you have both buttons pressed and held when you hit the reset button and don't let the buttons go until you see the screen flash again. Then, as soon as the screen flashes let the buttons go and you should see the reset menu.
Tried that including numerous variations of how long to keep the buttons pressed ... doesn't work.

What exactly do you mean by "until you see the screen flash again"? Do you mean the screen first turning black, or do you mean the screen turning from black to the next screen with "smart mobility" shown in the middle?

Also can you please post your ROM details (mine are in the sig), thanks.
HTC Touch Pro
 
mhg2000
Old
#6  
mhg2000's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 114
Join Date: Mar 2005
Note that the two buttons you need to press are not exactley below the screen - as the yes and no buttons are little curved to let you press it by mistake
T O B E O R N O T B E

It is easy to talk about all the people - But greatness is let all people talk about you
 
aublumberg
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 102
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Default Finally ...

Yes the buttons really suck compared to the TyTN I unless you have miniscule girlie fingers ...

Anyway thanks for the pointer ... I changed tactics and pressed the keys with my right hand and making 100% sure that no other adjacent key is accidentally pressed as well ... use the left hand for the stylus to reset

Thanks!
HTC Touch Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Stream Your Media Files with the New Version of Droid Sync Manager

Android is a Linux-based operating system, but this fact doesn’t put … more

Old but Gold Internet Browser is a Blast from the Past

A Web browser is one of these applications that we can’t live without. We useit … more

Real-World Battery Saving Tips for Android – XDA Developer TV

You need Real-World Battery Saving Tips for your Android device. Our … more

Android L Will Have Data Encryption Turned On by Default

Android L, once it is eventually released, will featuredata encryption turned on by … more