Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Dell Axim X50v WM6 A02 RTM with 0Mb PP (Discussion/Download)

OP Zeus_Alex

26th September 2007, 01:16 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

53 posts
More
I opened a new thread to discuss the effects of Maglite's WM6 A02 ROM with 0Mb PAGEPOOL and to not overload his own thread.
All info transfered from the original post and waiting for feedback.
Test this please:
- Check if Filesys.exe hits harder or smoother.
- Check if there is any diference in responsivness(faster/slower)
- Install apps to your Main Storage and test

Note: All of the hard work was made by Maglite_Rus, i just changed the PagePool for testing.

Until now, all is good. My Axim is fast, Filesys.exe appears,but very smooth and briefly.

Zeus_Alex

Quote:

Uploading WM6 with 0Mb Pagepool to rapidshare... It will be up in a few moments for who wants to try it...
It has no changes yet, but its very good... In my spare time, will change some stuff, adding some more, removing a few stuff and then ill tell you guys whats new or not...

Greets from Portugal..

Edited: Now its the right link, the 0Mb PP rom..Ehehe...

http://rapidshare.com/files/57962070...o_0Mb.rar.html

Its the same procedure to flash.
Copy both files to root of SD Card with Fat32, press Wireless + Power + Soft reset to start...etc, etc...
Test it and tell something... I tested in 2 different X50v's and had diferent results in both..Mine has near 40Mb of free RAM and its quite fast, with no problems changing from one app to another.
The other one i flashed, had only 36Mb of Free Ram and it was as fast as mine...I dont understand why the Free RAM is diferent from one to another and with the same rom...Strange..lol...

P.S. - Try it at your own risk.. dont want to be blamed or flamed if anything goes wrong...

Greets again from Portugal...

Last edited by Zeus_Alex; 26th September 2007 at 01:35 AM.
26th September 2007, 02:05 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
I instaled 0mb pp version on my axim and only have 30 mb free.
When finishing instalation, first time of use I experimented a very low speed, and filesys.exe was stuck at ~50% of processor for several minutes.
Then work fine, not too fast, but fine, with wisbar installed work better.
I still have the filesys problem, 3 times on the day, for severals minutes the processor at ~50%.
I've give to 0 pp few more days.
26th September 2007, 02:09 AM   |  #3  

1 posts
Good try, but my guess is that when you set the pagepool to 0, it is like to let windows mobile o/s decide what pagepool is suitable for your axim. and the decision is dynamic. That explains why sometime you get 34MB free ram while the other times you get 30MB free ram.

Rember what windows xp does when you let xp decide its Virtual Memory on its own.
26th September 2007, 02:26 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

53 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jianxiongchen

Good try, but my guess is that when you set the pagepool to 0, it is like to let windows mobile o/s decide what pagepool is suitable for your axim. and the decision is dynamic. That explains why sometime you get 34MB free ram while the other times you get 30MB free ram.

Rember what windows xp does when you let xp decide its Virtual Memory on its own.

I dont think that the OS is deciding what pagepool to use, but something is happening because for me, filesys is much smoother.
But as i said, its just a test, nothing to serious, altough the rom is very stable.
But a few minutes ago i had an idea to, maybe, stop filesys.exe from hitting. A few more days and, if it works, ill release it for testing. But please, no PM's about it as this is only an idea of mine, and im going to have to rebuild the entire system..

Thank you both for your feedback.
26th September 2007, 03:46 AM   |  #5  

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jianxiongchen

I think like you. But by other hand, I go to settings -> memory and says Total: 61.34 mb (with pp 0mb) and 57.32 mb (with pp 4mb).
26th September 2007, 03:49 AM   |  #6  

372 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus_Alex

But a few minutes ago i had an idea to, maybe, stop filesys.exe from hitting.

By this, do you mean remove Filesys.exe entirely from Windows Mobile? Or are you referring to some other method of keeping Filesys.exe from firing as often?

I hope it's not the former, as removing Filesys.exe completely could seriously reduce the expected lifetime of an Axim. (as I'm sure you already know)
26th September 2007, 03:51 AM   |  #7  

372 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriketronic

I think like you. But by other hand, I go to settings -> memory and says Total: 61.34 mb (with pp 0mb) and 57.32 mb (with pp 4mb).

WHAT?!?! Are you talking about having ~60mb of free RAM???
26th September 2007, 04:01 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

53 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavyman

He's refering to the total of ram, not the free and available...eheh..sure it would be good having the total of 64Mb..eheh...

As for my ideia, i was thinking of another aproach on filesys.exe...not removing it completely, as the Axim could be very unstable. But i am thinking in switch it with another one...I have to make some tests an probably will damage one of my X50v's, but i think it will work...

We'll see...
26th September 2007, 04:11 AM   |  #9  

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavyman

TOTAL!!!! When you change PP the total is modified RAM. Why?? I don't know.
26th September 2007, 04:59 AM   |  #10  

372 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriketronic

TOTAL!!!! When you change PP the total is modified RAM. Why?? I don't know.

Okay, I see now. Now that I've looked at it, it does seem strange. It's saying I have roughly 18mb of free RAM, but I'm running without any slowdowns whatsoever! It doesn't make sense, but it's hard not to like it anyway!

I'm excited to see what happens with the alternate "Filesys" that you have in mind, Zeus! I hope it doesn't brick any of your Axims though!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread