Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Sandisk 4Gb read-only on PC

OP leon100

20th October 2007, 07:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

83 posts
I recently purchased a Sandisk 4Gb microsd card for use with the Tytn II. The card works correctly on the Tytn. I wanted to transfer a large file to the card by means of the card reader sddr-113 that came with the card. I plugged the microsd card into the sd adapter, put the latter into the card reader, and plugged the card reader into the usb port of the PC.

On trying to write the file to the card an error message popped up saying the card was read-only. I double-checked that the read-only tab on the sd adapter was in the correct position to enable writing but the error persisted. I formatted the card on the Tytn but to no avail. Sandisk support does not list any known issues.

Knowing that several users have purchased a similar card for the Tytn II, has anyone encountered such problems, and is there any fix/workaround? Thanks.

EDIT: Note that there is no problem reading files from the card on the PC. Transfer speed in this case seems quite good. MY PC is WinXP.
Last edited by leon100; 20th October 2007 at 07:22 PM.
20th October 2007, 08:52 PM   |  #2  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 4

1,291 posts
More
You might check the microSD adapter. The adapters that are a std sized SD card have the small "read only" switch on the side of the card, you may have bumped it. Mine isn't even labeled, it should be switched forward, towards the gold contacts.

Good luck.
20th October 2007, 10:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

83 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE

You might check the microSD adapter. The adapters that are a std sized SD card have the small "read only" switch on the side of the card, you may have bumped it. Mine isn't even labeled, it should be switched forward, towards the gold contacts.

Good luck.

As I said, I checked that the read-only switch was in the right position. That said the adapter may be defective, and I'll try to put the microSd into another adapter. However any news from others with possible the same problem will serve to see if mine is an isolated case or not.
20th October 2007, 10:49 PM   |  #4  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 4

1,291 posts
More
Oops, sorry, yup I'd try a different adapter, they're pretty cheap/fragile. I have only seen this once, on a friends card. The tip is that the native microSd card is writeable in another device so it really points to the adapter.
30th October 2007, 09:29 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

442 posts
More
I am also experiencing this issue with the exact same card & adapter.

GRRR it really take age to copy data across active sync...
5th November 2007, 01:26 AM   |  #6  
Flag Vallejo

133 posts
Sandisk 2 & 4 GB card
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun_key

I am also experiencing this issue with the exact same card & adapter.

GRRR it really take age to copy data across active sync...

I had this problem as well. I later found that my PC wanted me to format the card when reading it with the adapter. Luckily my card didn't have anything important on it at the time. When I pulled the card to use it in my Tilt, the new device couldn't read it either.

I was able to use the card & adapter with a program found in a post on this forum to repair my corrupted card.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread