5,597,937 Members 39,252 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sandisk 4Gb read-only on PC

Tip us?

leon100
Old
(Last edited by leon100; 20th October 2007 at 07:22 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Unhappy Sandisk 4Gb read-only on PC

I recently purchased a Sandisk 4Gb microsd card for use with the Tytn II. The card works correctly on the Tytn. I wanted to transfer a large file to the card by means of the card reader sddr-113 that came with the card. I plugged the microsd card into the sd adapter, put the latter into the card reader, and plugged the card reader into the usb port of the PC.

On trying to write the file to the card an error message popped up saying the card was read-only. I double-checked that the read-only tab on the sd adapter was in the correct position to enable writing but the error persisted. I formatted the card on the Tytn but to no avail. Sandisk support does not list any known issues.

Knowing that several users have purchased a similar card for the Tytn II, has anyone encountered such problems, and is there any fix/workaround? Thanks.

EDIT: Note that there is no problem reading files from the card on the PC. Transfer speed in this case seems quite good. MY PC is WinXP.

RemE
Old
Thanks Meter 4
You might check the microSD adapter. The adapters that are a std sized SD card have the small "read only" switch on the side of the card, you may have bumped it. Mine isn't even labeled, it should be switched forward, towards the gold contacts.

Good luck.

Gulp... iPhone 4S It just Works...

ATT Tilt-2 Energy 21916 Sense 2.5 Cookie 2.0 Jul 04
Radio 4.49.25.95 (stock was 4.47.25.24)

TyTn II Retired
ATT Tilt New in Box, Need one? PM Me
Cingy 8525 Retired

"Beneath the surface of the mud.... there's more mud still.... Suprise", CSN

leon100
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post
You might check the microSD adapter. The adapters that are a std sized SD card have the small "read only" switch on the side of the card, you may have bumped it. Mine isn't even labeled, it should be switched forward, towards the gold contacts.

Good luck.
As I said, I checked that the read-only switch was in the right position. That said the adapter may be defective, and I'll try to put the microSd into another adapter. However any news from others with possible the same problem will serve to see if mine is an isolated case or not.

RemE
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Oops, sorry, yup I'd try a different adapter, they're pretty cheap/fragile. I have only seen this once, on a friends card. The tip is that the native microSd card is writeable in another device so it really points to the adapter.

Gulp... iPhone 4S It just Works...

ATT Tilt-2 Energy 21916 Sense 2.5 Cookie 2.0 Jul 04
Radio 4.49.25.95 (stock was 4.47.25.24)

TyTn II Retired
ATT Tilt New in Box, Need one? PM Me
Cingy 8525 Retired

"Beneath the surface of the mud.... there's more mud still.... Suprise", CSN

fun_key
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am also experiencing this issue with the exact same card & adapter.

GRRR it really take age to copy data across active sync...
HTC Touch Pro
Stock ROM 6.1

ercave1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Sandisk 2 & 4 GB card

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun_key View Post
I am also experiencing this issue with the exact same card & adapter.

GRRR it really take age to copy data across active sync...
I had this problem as well. I later found that my PC wanted me to format the card when reading it with the adapter. Luckily my card didn't have anything important on it at the time. When I pulled the card to use it in my Tilt, the new device couldn't read it either.

I was able to use the card & adapter with a program found in a post on this forum to repair my corrupted card.
ercave1

At&t Samsung Galaxy Note III + Galaxy Gear
At&t Samsung Galaxy Note II
At&t Samsung Galaxy Note i717 - Retired
EVO 4G - Retired