Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,311 Members 48,695 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Really Off-Topic] Military vehicle on the roads?

Tip us?

N1c0_ds
Old
(Last edited by N1c0_ds; 21st October 2007 at 07:16 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Really Off-Topic] Military vehicle on the roads?

Considering I'm getting my driving liscence soon, I was looking to buy a military jeep/car/tank(?!) just for fun. Is it legal to drive these in Canada? I wonder what the insurance people would think.

P.S.: This is just a crazy idea, I won't have a tank as my first car, but I'm interested nonetheless.

momentarylapseofreason
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Tanks no... everything else yes.

Alan Chan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
well i think it depends how heavy in tonnes your ideal vehicle is. A tank is around 20 tonnes or more so i dun think the governments will allow it.

i got a good recommendation for you. Why dont just buy a Range Rover have it painted in camo?
Blackberry Z10
Samsung S3

momentarylapseofreason
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
well i think it depends how heavy in tonnes your ideal vehicle is. A tank is around 20 tonnes or more so i dun think the governments will allow it.

i got a good recommendation for you. Why dont just buy a Range Rover have it painted in camo?
Yeah... waste a ton of money on a yuppie-mobile and paint it

You can buy several vehicles to drive on the street. I would however recommend the M1009 (Basically a K5 Blazer on a larger 3/4 ton chassis)

Dependable, safe, and CHEAP! (Oh... and Diesel..which = better gas mileage)

Alan Chan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i would actually preffer not to buy a military vehicle to be honest. Although it looks very cool and you can be unique from other motorist, but most military vehicles themselves are heavily used by previous owners

I still think buying a conventional 4x4 car painted in camo is a better alternative to that. You can always make it fancy too by adding few extra bits to it including a gun turret and catapillar tracks if you can afford it

howabout buying a Hummer? The US military loves it because of its size and durability. Expensive though and its definately a gas guzzler, but u get leather seats and sat nav in it at least...
Blackberry Z10
Samsung S3

momentarylapseofreason
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
i would actually preffer not to buy a military vehicle to be honest. Although it looks very cool and you can be unique from other motorist, but most military vehicles themselves are heavily used by previous owners

I still think buying a conventional 4x4 car painted in camo is a better alternative to that. You can always make it fancy too by adding few extra bits to it including a gun turret and catapillar tracks if you can afford it

howabout buying a Hummer? The US military loves it because of its size and durability. Expensive though and its definately a gas guzzler, but u get leather seats and sat nav in it at least...
OK... the problem is... this is his FIRST CAR. If he buys a military Hummer (Humvee).. there's no leather (vinyl) and no amenities. To buy a civvy Hummer, you're looking at 30,000+ for a 8-9 year old used one. H2 and H3 models are JUNK.

Yes, the military vehicles are beaten up. The catch? They also maintain the bejebus out of them. (Worked in the motor pool for the US Army). Most of the time if we had something like a T-Case leak.. we would just drop in a whole new unit.

N1c0_ds
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_wagon#Military_operators

*drools*

Alan Chan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Howabout a 2nd hand 1990's range rover?

its only around 7000 pounds if you are lucky to see one.

and besides, it gives a good feel like operating a tank because of the size and suspensions. My father used to own a range rover and its useful when driving off-road.
Blackberry Z10
Samsung S3

mariner_heart
Old
Thanks Meter 0
get an old chevy.........modify it to look like a tank.
have u seen "dumb and the dumber" ....remember the dog van??