Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,334 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

XT9 input - A BIG REQUEST FOR INTERNATIONALIZATION!

Tip us?

EazyVG
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Russian please, as well.
Primary Mobile: Xperia Z2 (6503) Unlocked|Root
Desktop|Notebook: openSUSE

OpenSource is good for you and for the world!

meschle
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctibor View Post
The new ROMs of both Tom and Meschle contain the new Touch Keyboard / Keypad with xT9 predictive input. It's a good input panel which can be operated by fingers. But only for those writing in English or a few other languages (German, French, etc.) Those belonging to other, smaller nations (like me: Hungarian) usually also have WWE rom, but in case of xT9 we just envy the users of the most common languages...

I've made an extensive search and found a very similar system, also made by 'Tegic' for HTC Vox smartphone. It's downloadable from the Modaco forum and I did it. Looking inside the cab file I saw that the system it creates, including the reg settings, is like the one we already have in the new ROMs. It's very similar but certainly cannot be identical, because smartphones don't have virtual keyboard.

So, my idea would be to use the proper files and the required additional reg settings from the Vox cab and create cabs for each language it has. The Vox cab supports:

Turkish
Spanish
Slovak
Romanian
Portuguese
Polish
Italian
Hungarian
Greek
German
French
English
Dutch
Czech

All together 14 languages and each is supported by predictive dictionary too!

I think it's worth to try to make use of it! But I'm not a developer... So I make an appeal to our admired forum-mates, mainly Tom and Meschle, who successfuly integrated the Touch keyboard into their roms, to make an effort and create CABs for the additional languages if possible. You would make a lot of people happy - first of all: me :))

I tried but cannot upload the Vox cab file from my computer in my work, sorry. The link:

http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-Vo...k/#entry853734

Disclaimer:

If I thought wrong and the two systems cannot be harmonised -- please, forgive me!

Thanks in advance all efforts - be successful or not.

cheers,
Hey ctibor - i am busy releasing roms at the mo

can someone unpack these cabs - xt9 needs kdb and lbd files in the language just for starters and also png files - but those could be made
Regards Mark

Retired from forum

Minotavrs
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Thanks m8

PHONE: LG-D802 | ROM: Stock Rooted | KERNEL: Stock 3.4.0 | ANDROID: 4.2.2 JDQ39B | RECOVERY: TWRP 2.6.3.4

ctibor
Old
(Last edited by ctibor; 11th November 2007 at 09:55 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default No success so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meschle View Post
xt9 needs kdb and lbd files in the language just for starters and also png files - but those could be made
Yes, the problem is that the Xt9 system of Vox and Excalibur stores the different dictionaries in .dll files, while the PPC WM6 Xt9 uses .ldb files.

I've tried to hack the system, extracting the Hungarian dll from the Vox cab, copying it to Windows, simply renaming it to ldb and adding Hungarian values to the registry but without any success. :(

Someone with more knowlegde and experience is needed, since I still believe that it's somehow possible!
ctibor

Huawei Ascend P7-L00 (Dual-SIM), Galaxy Note 8.0 3G; Transformer Pad TF300T

meschle
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Yes, the problem is that the Xt9 system of Vox and Excalibur stores the different dictionaries in .dll files, while the PPC WM6 Xt9 uses .ldb files.

I've tried to hack the system, extracting the Hungarian dll from the Vox cab, copying it to Windows, simply renaming it to ldb and adding Hungarian values to the registry but without any success. :(

Someone with more knowlegde and experience is needed, since I still believe that it's somehow possible!
hmm that may make it difficult or impossible - shame
Regards Mark

Retired from forum

ctibor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
I have a good news and a bad one.

The good news is that someone extracted the Touch keyboard's Xt9 files for 14 languages from a new rom!

Download link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/68813010...Board.rar.html

So, sooner or later we will have it in cab file, I'm sure. (The best would be to create different CABs: English + one more language.)

The bad news is that some smaller European languages are NOT SUPPORTED, e.g. Danish, and - unfortunately - Hungarian. :((

I tried to send an e-mail to Tegic's website but it leads to http://www.nuance.com/t9/xt9/
and it's practically impossible to reach the developer by e-mail... (you can check it if you want)

So my last hope it that the Smartphone system can somehow be 'ported' to our Artemises with the help of a real developer, member of our community.
ctibor

Huawei Ascend P7-L00 (Dual-SIM), Galaxy Note 8.0 3G; Transformer Pad TF300T

geezer78
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default would love a cab file

Quote:

The good news is that someone extracted the Touch keyboard's Xt9 files for 14 languages from a new rom!

Download link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/68813010...Board.rar.html

So, sooner or later we will have it in cab file, I'm sure. (The best would be to create different CABs: English + one more language.)
Good Work Ctibor! Unfortunately for you and others who's language is not included... but really nice for the others (i would love to see a dutch cab)

But as far as i understand these are oem files, therefore they can be used in creating a rom?!

Who could help us out and make a cab for standalone instalation?

thanks in advance,

Gijs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Google's XDA-Dev Site search : SEARCH

*Device: Artemis
*Rom Version: Meschle Artemis Vanilla 4.01 SDHC WWE ROM
*µSD: 6GB!!!

Andre13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can, is simple enough copy all files from archive in a folder windows? meschle, prompt, please - all to you will be grateful!!!) whether it is possible to add or expand languages of the keyboard??!!! In advance many thanks!

mamv
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Can you upload the file again. Maybe following this tutorial: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=319353 but using the ppc files we are able to do it...

Cobra2
Old
(Last edited by Cobra2; 14th November 2007 at 11:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:

The bad news is that some smaller European languages are NOT SUPPORTED, e.g. Danish, and - unfortunately - Hungarian. :((
Thanx for trien, found this thread with the HTC keyboard_Dual with some different lang. inc. the Danish but still not the Hungarian , Patr!k is just awaitin the .cab file....

Here is the lang. inc. :
czech, danish, dutch, english, finnish, french, german, italian, norwegian, polish, portuguese, russian, spanish, swedish

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=344533
Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.