Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 44,015 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Browser: Opera Mini, Opera mobile, Netfront, or Mozilla Minimo?

Tip us?

Menneisyys
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextalionis View Post
Did anyone here get a chance to try Deep Fish?

http://labs.live.com/deepfish/
Don't bother - see my latest, related news collection: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=364567
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices, 2006, 2007, 2008. Make sure you follow my PPC & SP Mag Expert blog HERE.

Menneisyys
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejipster View Post
On that note,
Does anyone know how to configure your WM6.1 device (Tilt) to launch Opera Mini whenever I click on a link from an email for example, instead of IE, which is the default browser?

-------
just read the "bible" and it said you cannot launch OM directly from email links. That is a bummer.
Sorry, I haven't had the time to update ALL my previous Bibles (there're tons of them - just think of how much time I'd need to update all of them whenever a new, say, hack is implemented / new version is released) to reflect the latest changes. You'll need to check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=347689 . Start at the END of the thread and read in the opposite direction because the latest enhancements aren't reflected in the thread starter post.
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices, 2006, 2007, 2008. Make sure you follow my PPC & SP Mag Expert blog HERE.

trjons
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My Opera Mobile automatically opens email links instead of letting PIE open them.

I never remember setting it up this way. Is this a registry setting? What if you want to switch back?
iPhone 5, 6.1, Jailbroke
Zophone Clone...work in progress...or for sale

jdmspecdc5
Old
Thanks Meter 0
has anyone else had a problem downloading opera on their phones? the midlet manager opens and looks like it'll download but gives an error that the url is not found.
AT&T Tilt (8925)
ROM: AT&T 1.62.502.0
Radio: 1.27.14.09
SanDisk 4GB microSDHC

wormdevil
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey thanks for that Kaiser/Tilt (I have an AT&T Tilt branded Kaiser) IE Slow Scroll Cab fix. Brilliant!
This issue was driving me nuts!!! Only today on my second attempt at researching this issue did I find this post.
Thanks!!!

Menneisyys
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trjons View Post
My Opera Mobile automatically opens email links instead of letting PIE open them.

I never remember setting it up this way. Is this a registry setting? What if you want to switch back?
There is an option in Settings to unregister this.

stolli
Old
Thanks Meter 0
can anybody link me to picsel for the kaiser? i was using it for my Wizard but cant remember what i did with the file...

thanks!

dardar2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Opera mini is great... on my sony ericsson K810i.

But for polaris or kaiser, Netfront 3.5 technical preview is awesome.
The rendering is perfect and it is as fast or faster than opera mini. It is like desktop browsing. Please install and see by yourself. The 3.5 technical preview is valid till 31 march I think.

I have tried picsel browser, minimo and opera mobile (9.5 beta) but my choise is for sure netfront 3.5

dara

dungbeetle
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I couldn't figure out why everyone was so gung ho about opera mini, til I realized I was using mini v.3, not v.4. Holy cow, big difference!
'Scuse me while I whip this out...

MACkjam
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I have used and tried the following:

1. Opera Mini v3.1.7203 advanced
2. Opera Mobile v8.6
3. Minimo
4. Netfront v3.5
5. PIE

I dislike Opera Mini because you have to go into Java, and it's not that great for me. Yes, it is fast but useless for my needs.
PIE is usable but not great.
Opera 8.6 is very good, handles downloads well and I like the tabs. This is my second choice for a ppc browser.
Minimo is crapola...it is actually unusable it is so slow. I use Firefox on my laptop and it's great, but minimo sux like electrolux.
NETFRONT is the way to go for mobiles!!! You get VGA resolution up to 1024x860 I think and it has smart scroll which is as smooth as silk. It is also much faster than any of the other browsers above. I have only started using this and I haven't tried downloading anything yet. It also has tabs and lots of user-defined settings for display etc. Very fast and the closest to a pc browsing experience IMHO.

I will keep you posted as to my experience with Netfront v3.5.
Mundus Technologae est Semper Quantum
HTC One
Android v4.3
HTC Sense v5.5
Build Number 3.62.401.1 CL264544
WebKit/534.30