Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,143 Members 51,975 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Garmin Mobile XT

Tip us?

Vancelot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Garmin Mobile XT

I have Garmin Mobile XT installed that I have used with the Garmin GPS10 bluetooth receiver.
Is there a way to make Mobile XT use the internal GPS? When I start it, it scans bluetooth for gps device. I don't see any other options.

Buggy222
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Garmin Beta

I think if you search Garmin's website there is a beta version which uses internal gps in the new test rom

jrebeiro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Even if that is true the maps are still locked to your GPS10's serial number. You will need to use GPSGate to emulate the Garmin GPS protocol and cloak your GPS10's serial number. I am looking for a version of Mobile XT which will use the internal GPS as well. I'd love to ditch my GPS10 and go all internal. I like Mobile XT a lot and since I paid for Garmin maps I want to use them!

ilogik
Old
Thanks Meter 65
I am using Garmin with the internal GPS, I cant really point you in the right direction because this sort of "talk" is prohibited here but it can be done quite easily.

TalynOne
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Post on getting Garmin XT to work with the Internal GPS is in my FAQ:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363431

jrebeiro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
OK ummm... WOW!!!

All I can say is that Garmin Mobile XT is awesome! After a little hacking (not discussing here...Vancelot, PM me if you want info) I got the software unlocked to allow non-garmin GPS receivers. This software works with the intermediary driver so no launcher is necessary. It works like a charm! Now I don't feel so bad for buying the new maps nor the GPS10 receiver... even though I don't need it

parcou
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I spotted a copy of Garmin 2009 recently and downloaded it. By chance can anyone here tell me their experiences with TomTom compared to Garmin?

I currently have TomTom6 on my vz6800 but was curious about this application now?

Thx

proxcee
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by parcou View Post
I spotted a copy of Garmin 2009 recently and downloaded it. By chance can anyone here tell me their experiences with TomTom compared to Garmin?

I currently have TomTom6 on my vz6800 but was curious about this application now?

Thx
I started out with TomTom...very good app. A friend of mine had me give Garmin XT a try...another good app. I'm starting to prefer Garmin though. It "was" easier to use with the intermidiate driver when I had dcd 3.1.6 installed...since 3.56 and 3.2.0 all have gone to hell...works very sporadically.

The biggest difference to me is with Garmin I can select just a few states about 4 or 5 and load them on my storage card (115 megs) as opposed to TomTom with no way to select the states you want (that I know of) to my storage card (just about 1 gig worth).

parcou
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxcee View Post
I started out with TomTom...very good app. A friend of mine had me give Garmin XT a try...another good app. I'm starting to prefer Garmin though. It "was" easier to use with the intermidiate driver when I had dcd 3.1.6 installed...since 3.56 and 3.2.0 all have gone to hell...works very sporadically.

The biggest difference to me is with Garmin I can select just a few states about 4 or 5 and load them on my storage card (115 megs) as opposed to TomTom with no way to select the states you want (that I know of) to my storage card (just about 1 gig worth).
Good info proxcee...yeah I am still on 3.16 I may pause here for a moment...

Between the two apps, how did the maps look or the map rendering as it navigated along? ...about the same. I like on the car version how it shows buildings but this might not be an option for the mobile version...???

One thing I was looking for that the TomTom does not do was to see if Garmin Mobile app announce street names for the next turn...???

NetworkPIMP
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxcee View Post
How were you able to do this? I just have a giant 1GB .IMG file...

I have a 2GB SD and an 8GB on order, so it's not really a matter of space - I'm just thinking that a smaller map would yield better performance...