Barcorama - barcode reader software [Updated 11/Oct/09]
I'm creating this thread to keep the Barcorama related discussion in a dedicated thread. The discussion spawned here
Barcorama is a Zxing-based (http://code.google.com/p/zxing/
) barcode reader software developed by me in C#. The program's main purpose is to provide a free (and hopefully powerful) tool in the consumer's toolchain!
Feel free to try out and comment on it.
The tool is being developed on my Kaiser, so any feedback on how it performs on other devices is welcomed!
Basic Usage (not yet updated for v0.9x
a. Press the "Shoot" button to launch the phones camera wizard and take a photo of the barcode by pressing the front "OK" button, or the normal side-shoot button. Barcorama will return automatically upon capture and try to recognize the code.
b. Press the "Open" button to launch the file dialog and navigate/select a previously taken photo. Again, after loading the photo, recognition starts.
After a successful recognition, a popup message may ask whether to run the specified external program with the recognized code. The program along with its arguments is specified in the settings. The code will be inserted wherever the !###! string is be found (may be multiple times).
In general, my tests show that the autofocus camera feature seems to achieve a good result when holding the phone more then 5cm away from the target.
Source code is available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/barcorama/
or download the trunk snapshot here: http://barcorama.svn.sourceforge.net...ar.gz?view=tar
-- Recognizes 1D and 2D barcodes. See the google page
for details. Version 0.3 is currently incorporated.
-- Runs an external program to pass the recognized code
- NETCF v2.0
-- ability for "continuous operation". After successful recognition, continues scanning/shooting/etc...
-- option to beep after successful recognition. Useful in "continuous operation"
v0.9g (for Testing!):
-- Costpad fixes regarding same name shops
-- QR recognition working (thanx to mao xuchu
!). Mind though that proper result handling is not present.
-- BUGFIX: many settings were not holding on their value
v0.9f (for Testing!):
-- Memory optimization. Thanx user jeutaw
for reporting the bug!
v0.9e (for Testing!):
-- BUGFIX: fixed exception at the end of the purchase submit procedure
v0.9d (for Testing!):
-- Warning: a bug has already been identified regarding the ability to submit purchases to costpad.com. Perhaps you want to wait a few hours until I get home and fix it <-- FIXED in v0.9e
-- Manual entry of the barcode (useful when scan/shoot/open methods fail)
-- More finger-oriented purchase date entry method
-- Able to register a new shop through Barcorama
-- Smoother button fading
-- Various fixes
v0.9c (for Testing!):
-- GUI fixes (should now cope better with high-res devices)
v0.9b (for Testing!):
-- not connecting to the Internet at startup
v0.9a (for Testing!):
-- Preliminary Costpad.com integration
-- Reintroduced the "Live" mode (thanks to WiMo project
), where continuous capturing is performed (low resolution only, thanks to HTC...
-- Experimental Autofocus tweak! Manually triggering the autofocus capability so to make the "Live" mode usable. Warning: not all devices/roms will be compatible!
-- Better File open method
-- Minor interface changes
-- Elastic GUI layout. Supporting landscape mode and greater resolutions.
- Bugfix: Normal handling of spaces in external program's path and arguments
- Added a program icon (thanx nibblah)
- Bugfix: proper saving/loading of external program settings.
- Can now run an external program passing the recognized barcode.
- Small fix for QR decoding
- Upgraded ZXing to 0.4.5 for 1D barcodes (only)
- Fixed a nasty bug that disabled EAN and UPC codes!
- Able to individually select what barcode types to try
- Option for selecting whether automatic return from the Camera application is desired. When not selected, the user has to manually exit the Camera application, beign able this way to recapture before decode
- Added a clickable link in the About page to easily reach this forum
- Black appearance
- Incorporated a ZXing bugfix regarding code-39 decoding
- Added a popup question to copy a recognized code into the clipboard
- Tweaked usage of the .net camera API. Using a file based method to detect when the capture was performed.
- Automatically returning back to the application after the user shoots the photo. No second "OK" is needed.
- Better UI behavior by using background thread for camera capture and image decoding
- Various bugfixes
-- False recognitions (encountered some EAN13 faults)
-- 3megapixel photos cannot be loaded
-- After shooting, image appears 90-degrees counter-clockwise rotated. Recognition works though.
P.S Please, if you encounter a bug/problem, report it and add your hardware/software configuration, or fill your signature with such info. Reporting of successful trials is also welcomed
Removed: The "speedy" version was removed as it was not functioning on par with the "normal" version...
Added a cab file that includes the .exe and creates a Start Menu shortcut. The shortcut seems to be missing the proper icon and perhaps it won't work in Non-English installations. Removed the ..v07a.zip as the cab seems stable.
Removed: The "Barcorama.zip" as it was too old...