Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 52,153 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No HSDPA on O2 UK

Tip us?

fantasist
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Default Email from o2

Got an email from o2 CS a few days ago after my HSDPA speed was increased by data support.

Hello XX,

Thank you for emailing us about using HSDPA.

This service hasn't been fully launched with O2 yet. This is why you aren't able to use it.

However, we are full launched HSDPA on 18 April 2008.

If you should have any further questions, please visit our online Help Centre at:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help

Kind Regards

Emma
Ecare Team Glasgow
O2 Customer Service

Is this the same Emma your all talking about?

MFC_Till_I_Die
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I don't think it's the same person, one is customer services and the other is PR.

dysoong
Old
(Last edited by dysoong; 14th April 2008 at 04:17 PM.) Reason: accuracy
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasist View Post
Got an email from o2 CS a few days ago after my HSDPA speed was increased by data support.
However, we are full launched HSDPA on 18 April 2008.
I just had an email from another PR person at O2:
Quote:
Hello. I hope you don’t mind me contacting you directly.

Emma’s on holiday this week, so I can’t check, but I think you were the first person to bring to our attention the issue with data speeds, for which we are grateful.

We would like to post something directly on the forum – with the owners’ permission of course - and I just thought it would be good to contact you first as you brought it to our attention in the first place, and get an idea of if that would be welcomed.

let me know what you think.

many thanks and kind regards

Sarah
I assumed that you lot won't mind and told her to go ahead.

I'm interested to see if they mention this 18th april HSDPA launch date that has suddenly appeared and try to apply it retrospectively to their "HSDPA for super fast browsing" adverts.

We can only wait and see I suppose.
So - if you're still reading Sarah - go ahead and post.

MFC_Till_I_Die
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Interesting...

dysoong
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just a little update:

Quote:
This week, we have sorted the problem that you so kindly alerted us to, and are looking for a way to explain ourselves. I have been in touch with the administrator of the xda developers forum, and she said I could start a thread or contribute to yours as long as we identified ourselves as O2, (I have registered as O2 UK, which seems to fit the bill, dont you think?), and she would like to see the first statement before we post it, which I am happy to do.

I think it would be great if you would announce it thank you. I am just trying to get hold of the senior technical person to actually do the session, so I am not sure yet when it will be. Certainly this week, but its looking less like today now, on account of it already being ten past four now.
hope this means they've got a proper policy and upgrade procedure in place.
grrr. I hate waiting.

MFC_Till_I_Die
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Where's that quote from? An Email?

dysoong
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFC_Till_I_Die View Post
Where's that quote from? An Email?
Yes - another email from the same person.

O2UK
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default from O2 press office

Hello. O2 press office here. Thanks for the opportunity to say something. As you know, we've been looking after customers on a case by case basis, but I'm pleased to tell you that this data speeds issue is all sorted now. Can I explain?

The vast majority of our 3G customers are able to access the internet on their mobile device at speeds of up to 384 KBps or typically up to 1.3 MBps if they have an HSDPA-enabled device. The O2 network is fully HSDPA-enabled and we will be further increasing the maximum speeds available on HSDPA throughout the year, up to 7.2 MBps.

Because of a provisioning error which came to our attention last week- thanks to this forum - a small proportion of our 3G customers have not been getting these higher speeds.

We apologise to those customers who were affected. The issue is simple to fix and we will be doing so this week. If you still have problems after that, all customer services representatives are now fully briefed on what to do if you call O2 in the normal way.

We would like to answer any questions you have on this matter. O2 UK's Head of Technology Engineering has offered to field your questions tomorrow. If you would like to post questions and comments tonight and tomorrow morning I will gather them all together, get him to answer them and then post the answers tomorrow afternoon. Does that work for you?

many thanks
O2 press office

mrvanx
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2UK View Post
Hello. O2 press office here. Thanks for the opportunity to say something. As you know, we've been looking after customers on a case by case basis, but I'm pleased to tell you that this data speeds issue is all sorted now. Can I explain?

The vast majority of our 3G customers are able to access the internet on their mobile device at speeds of up to 384 KBps or typically up to 1.3 MBps if they have an HSDPA-enabled device. The O2 network is fully HSDPA-enabled and we will be further increasing the maximum speeds available on HSDPA throughout the year, up to 7.2 MBps.

Because of a provisioning error which came to our attention last week- thanks to this forum - a small proportion of our 3G customers have not been getting these higher speeds.

We apologise to those customers who were affected. The issue is simple to fix and we will be doing so this week. If you still have problems after that, all customer services representatives are now fully briefed on what to do if you call O2 in the normal way.

We would like to answer any questions you have on this matter. O2 UK's Head of Technology Engineering has offered to field your questions tomorrow. If you would like to post questions and comments tonight and tomorrow morning I will gather them all together, get him to answer them and then post the answers tomorrow afternoon. Does that work for you?

many thanks
O2 press office
This is a credible post, the admin is aware of it and gave it the OK.

marisa4755
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well, something has certainly happened as before tonight the fastest I have had is 130 ish kbs and now it's 693kbit/sec! Thank goodness, it was getting embarassing, especially at work with other people downloading the same attachment 10 time quicker than I could! Let's hope this keeps up.
Marisa

HTC Diamond
O2 UK