Tip us?

lhasistos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mr Joshua , can you tell us something about Algasys 1710 rom

thank you , its a big work

Mr Joshua
Old
(Last edited by Mr Joshua; 28th June 2008 at 02:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
@Mr Joshua

Hi,

Seems you have tested a lot of roms. Which rom you advise to a newbie as me? Running WM2003 SE 64MB ram PDA.

My most concern is to lose free memory, now hav 40 MB main memory and not sure if wm6.1 give me less.

Any idea when you have tested andy's v1g versione? Was about to flash that rom but rather wait as you testing now

cheers
i've tested pretty much all of the roms released since i started posting here at the beginning of this month, with exceptions like sanjay's rom and alga systems. but i never posted reviews about them and only recently have been reviewing roms, as i don't mind re-flashing my device multiple times and re-installing software. as for a new user, it would depend on what your using your device for, if you want stability, sanjay's served me well for a number of days without any issues. alga systems was also another good choice. andy's v1g which i am in the process of on and off again reviewing, is also a good choice. most of the differences between andys modded versions of kozhura's RK5 are in this thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398762
which i've posted in and posted the issues i've found. some issues seem to appear in all the roms i test, like wifi refusing to connect after turning on wifi for the first time. but connects right away on the second try. same with the random occurrence of infinite re-connect loop after suspend.
i'd say that andys v1g has the best all around performance/stability. however if you want a rom that was made specifically for the hx4700 you'll need to find the wm 2005 upgrade from HP. and like everything else it's kind of bloated and doesn't give the best memory allocation, program offerings and latest software/drivers as the unofficial cooked wm6.1 roms.
make sure whichever rom you go with you use chris's non gui bootloader tool

which information on can be found here.
http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=243857

and downloaded from here
http://www.freetrafficsite.com/BootLoader.exe

and modpp.exe
which can be downloaded from here
http://4pda.ru/forum/attach/906881/modpp.exe

how to use the program
Quote:
modpp.exe <filename> <pagepool>
<filename> - path to ROM file
<pagepool> - size of pagepool in megabytes

Example
modpp nk.nbf
output is now pagepool size for nk.nbf

modpp nk.nbf 8
set pagepool size for nk.nbf to 8 megabyte
i put it in the same directory i put the bootloader into
C:\bootloader
extract the rom you downloaded into C:\bootloader
you'll then have to open up a command console
Start -> Run-> cmd

CD \bootloader

then follow the above quoted directions to change the pagepool size to either 4MB or 4.5MB for your 64meg device. seems to work quicker for day to day tasks.

then run bootloader.exe and follow the prompts and instructions on the bootloader instruction page

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhasistos View Post
Mr Joshua , can you tell us something about Algasys 1710 rom

thank you , its a big work
sure i just flashed it to my device this morning as some changes to phamquangs and andys v1g roms didn't go so well.. registry modifications are always a challenge..
i'll post up some basic data on algasystems rom a little later today

Edit1:
Hx4700 64MB bare, bluetooth/wifi = off, Algasys 1710

Storage:
Total: 82.59MB
In use: 2.44MB
Free: 80.15

Program:
Total: 58.31MB
In use: 20.86MB
Free: 37.45

Puzom
Old
(Last edited by Puzom; 28th June 2008 at 07:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
@Mr Joshua

Thank you for the clear reply

I've been doing some research and decided to use Andy's v1g (Thanks Andy for this ROM )

Used the bootloader from Chris and already had some issues installing the Vista drivers, as my system does not have wmdc.exe, but has wmdSync.exe.....so after looking on this forum i added the driver manually and all worked.

Flashed the ROM and after hard reset...waiting a bit....soft reset...waiting a bit.....hard reset once more and it booted with a nice 6.1 screen .

Been testing it for some time and all seems to be OK, free RAM about 35 MB so that's OK.

Indeed i also have the WIFI drop on first connection and on second run it is working stable, so only the first connect is disconnected right away. Odd.

Bluetooth is working fine....yet very rarely I get the automatic bluetooth starting after soft reset, only happens when i used bluetooth before the soft reset. (note that i turned bluetooth OFF before soft resetting).

Perhaps I will test some other ROMS to that will come out after Andy's v1g, as I hardly install software into the RAM, most runs from SD card.

Just to get it confirmed, Andy's v1g is the latest ROM to date right?
Does this ROM come with an 8 MB pagepool?

Cheers.

Mr Joshua
Old
(Last edited by Mr Joshua; 28th June 2008 at 08:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
it comes with a 4.5MB pagepool
andys latest is v1g
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...398762&page=30 post# 299
based off of kozhura's latest release
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398762

Puzom
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@Mr Joshua

Ok just thought huh v2g....

And is it wise to change the 4.5 pagepool to either 4 or 8? Where should I noticed the difference?

Cheers!

Mr Joshua
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
@Mr Joshua

Ok just thought huh v2g....

And is it wise to change the 4.5 pagepool to either 4 or 8? Where should I noticed the difference?

Cheers!
edited v1g
i left mine at 4.5 i wouldn't think you'd notice much w/ .5MB
the 8MB pagepool seems to work better for 128MB modified hx4700's as they have more ram to utilize..

Puzom
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@Mr Joshua

Ok thanks for the info on the pagepool. Will leave it at 4.5 as it runs OK for me.

Sofar it runs as good as the original WM2003 SE ROM I had before, so nothing lost only gaining with the new WM6 sofware tools that don't run on WM2003 nomore

Cheers.

lhasistos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you Mr Joshua , as I see all roms have the same litle issue with WIFI , Im work with Algasys 1710 , its very very stable and all soft that I have test works fine , BT with activesync , BT A2xx earphones , BT GPS , BT in point to point net , etc the only issue that i cant solve yet its with outlook , incoming mails force to old mails dissapear from screen and goes to messaging folder en CF and I can t see anymore , but all are in this folder , i try all settings , from the past 7 days , all messages etc ....

Puzom
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@ Mr Joshua

Hi,

As you tested the ROMS and mentioned you have this WiFi issues with the first connect attempt failing (which I also have), yet I noticed that when you do the first attempt and then just wait for say 5-10 sec, you see the wifi starting automatically and it connects right away.

Does this happen at your side too? if so then i think it's by design as I've found this post on another board:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=442

Perhaps anyone else knows if these ROMS have this by design?

Cheers!

Mr Joshua
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhasistos View Post
Thank you Mr Joshua , as I see all roms have the same litle issue with WIFI , Im work with Algasys 1710 , its very very stable and all soft that I have test works fine , BT with activesync , BT A2xx earphones , BT GPS , BT in point to point net , etc the only issue that i cant solve yet its with outlook , incoming mails force to old mails dissapear from screen and goes to messaging folder en CF and I can t see anymore , but all are in this folder , i try all settings , from the past 7 days , all messages etc ....
I’m not sure what that issue, would be, I’m using kozhura’s modified rom by andy v1g w/ exchange push mail over Open WEP b/g wifi without any issues.
When I get ready to reflash my hx4700 after my vacation this week, I’ll flash algasys 1710 rom to it and configure mail on it and see if I’ve got the same issue

Quote:
@ Mr Joshua

Hi,

As you tested the ROMS and mentioned you have this WiFi issues with the first connect attempt failing (which I also have), yet I noticed that when you do the first attempt and then just wait for say 5-10 sec, you see the wifi starting automatically and it connects right away.

Does this happen at your side too? if so then i think it's by design as I've found this post on another board:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=442

Perhaps anyone else knows if these ROMS have this by design?

Cheers!
I’m not sure it’s by design as I’ve found other issues.
I’m positive that after suspending the device by pressing the power button quickly. After I resume it by hitting the power button again, Bluetooth randomly doesn’t start, or wifi is off according to the lack of the today screen icon and the nice X in the upper task bar and in the tray icon. clicking on the settings button in the IPAQ Wireless screen and it brings me to the “configure network adapters” screen but it has no tab for the “configure wireless networks” menu. But the button for wifi in the “IPAQ Wireless” screen is tan, like it’s turned on.
There are other issues to be resolved with wifi/Bluetooth/IRD in these roms.

Which I can fully understand as
#1. WM6.x has only been out since april? 3 months tops?
#2. WM6.1 was never intended to run on the hx4700
#3. No one seems to have all the OEM files needed to build a rom specifically for the hx4700
#4. All the roms coming forth seem to be deconstructed upgrades from companies like HTC, etc..
#5. The roms being cooked are using some pre-release software, from M$’s Codename Crossbow WM 6.x or WM5

Better roms would be released faster if the community as a whole worked together to share information about the roms being cooked, similar to the way the open source community rallies around *nix and BSD. Repairs could be made that much quick if people didn’t employ encryption techniques while building their roms and released all the files needed to modify and re-cook them. As people are only human and no matter how hard they try, mistakes are still made, and idea’s can always be improved upon.
The roms that are being cooked have come a long way, and I give full credit to the people cooking them, as I’ve just started attempting it, and even with vivi’s kitchen, it’s an intimidating processes, takes a lot of dedication and trial and error to get things running even close to right.
So the more detailed information that’s made available the better. All the information people post here about the issues they have with the roms will help the people interested in either upgrading their devices, when improving on cooked roms, or cooking better roms.
So lets keep this alive and free, to improve the roms!

Tags
6.5, battery indicator, hx4700