Firefox OS Architecture and Collaboration Opportunities w/ Asa Dotzler – XDA:DevCon 2014

We were privileged to host many presentations … more

Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Deleted

As promised, "FIXED THE AUDIO ADAPTER PROBLEM"

OP madman34

12th March 2008, 06:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

244 posts
Greetings all,
Well here it is as promised, the fix for the dreaded audio adapter not working after upgradeio flash was of ROM. First of all, I upgraded my ROM and radio to DCD's newest 3.0.0 and radio, which fixed my SelectRadio issue where it dropped out, and looked at the RNC and discovered that it was as I suspected a timer value in the radio ROM was tweaked wrong causing the BER to run away and make the PPP session reinitialize very quickly or go dormant all together, but new radio fixed it. Still we had the audio adapter broken after upgrade issue, so here it is and how to fix it:

First, there is no 'electronics that you have to have' in the adapter as advertised. The problem was that a pin is wired differently in the ones that exibit the problem. The fix is as simple as clipping a wire ! Yep, thats right. Ok, with the connector of the adapter pointed at you, the curved part down, you will notice there are 6 pins on the lower edge. Numbered 1 thru 6 from left to right, pin 1 is unused, 2 is the tip of the 3.5mm jack, 3is unused, 4 & 5 are audio ground (sleve), 6 is the ring on the connector. On the stock adapter and the pigtail sound only adapters that do work properly this is how it is. The ones that mess up are a little different in that pin 1 is shorted to 4 & 5 which did not make a difference before, but really seems to upset any ROM based on 6.1. All you have to do is GENTLY cut the adapter and clip the wire going to pin 1 and all is good, no loss of any functio, it even still powers/charges as this is done by pins 1 & 5 on the top row. A tiny odity is that on some adapters the tip and ring are reversed resulting in left and right channels being reversed, but you can fix or ignore that at your leisure. ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Maybe a mod would make this easy to find or sticky it ??? I bet many people are wrestling with this easy to fix issue, I know it bugged the stew out of me til I just sat down and figured it out. Thanks for looking at my rant and being patient as I took a long time to follow thru with my promise.
13th March 2008, 02:47 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I've read what you posted in both of the adapter threads, and just want to confirm. I have the adapter shown in this link:

http://www.semsons.com/2miusband3st.html

Your fix works on this adapter? I wonder if there is a way to just remove pin 1 from the adapter without having to cut it open. How did you reseal the molded plastic (I assume some sort of glue). Thanks!
Last edited by MIK1200; 13th March 2008 at 02:55 AM.
13th March 2008, 03:52 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

244 posts
Thats the one
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK1200

I've read what you posted in both of the adapter threads, and just want to confirm. I have the adapter shown in this link:

http://www.semsons.com/2miusband3st.html

Your fix works on this adapter? I wonder if there is a way to just remove pin 1 from the adapter without having to cut it open. How did you reseal the molded plastic (I assume some sort of glue). Thanks!

Thats the one I am talking about and i was thinking you might just be able to pull the pin but i was worried about damaging the connector.
13th March 2008, 10:37 PM   |  #4  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 1

77 posts
More
Confirm
This fix works also with the HTC adapter that comes with the device.
Don't cut open the adapter, try to cut the pin 1 from outside in.
Thanks!
14th March 2008, 12:26 AM   |  #5  

21 posts
Pretty ghetto fix....
But I'll have to try it later, because rigging up 2 adapter and having to plug them in, in a certain order is really sucking.
14th March 2008, 03:37 AM   |  #6  
Flag Idaho
Thanks Meter: 1

121 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman34

P.S. Maybe a mod would make this easy to find or sticky it ??? I bet many people are wrestling with this easy to fix issue, I know it bugged the stew out of me til I just sat down and figured it out. Thanks for looking at my rant and being patient as I took a long time to follow thru with my promise.

Maybe this could be a Wiki topic
14th March 2008, 05:13 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 36

1,002 posts
Talking I can't believe this
First of all thank you for saving everyone on this forum money, because now we don't have to buy adapters to try and figure this out.
I spent months without being able to use the adapter and finally broke down and downgraded to the original 2.17 ROM.
Now, I can finally use the adapter again and can't believe that it was so simple all along.
I can't thank you enough.
This modification of the adapter works - I just confirmed it.

Michael
14th March 2008, 04:14 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

30 posts
this is great. I now have garmin mobile gps, all my bluetooth devices working, and at last music through my headphones. life is good.
14th March 2008, 05:10 PM   |  #9  

6 posts
This will be great if I can get it to work. How are you guys removing pin-1? Are you opening the adapter or are you removing from the connector? If your removing from the connector, what are you using?
14th March 2008, 06:46 PM   |  #10  
Flag Marlton, NJ

14 posts
I took an exacto knife and bent pin 1 up and tried to bend it to get it to break to no avail, so I just bent it up as much as possible and pushed it into the connector hoping it would not short out any other wires, got lucky cause it works now, thanks for the tutorial

Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread