ICS Control v.21 - utility for controlling internet connection sharing

Search This thread

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
UPDATE
April 5, 2008 - v0.21 released.

ICS Control is a GUI front-end for Internet Connection Sharing, a component of Microsoft Windows Mobile. It can be configured to do a variety of things including sharing your cellular internet connection over an adhoc WiFi network.

Requirements: .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Windows Mobile 5 or later with the IPNAT driver included (most WM6 builds have this built-in). The "Internet Sharing" application that some phones have is not required, but IPNAT is.

ICSControl is a single .exe file, included in the zip file below. You can place it directly in /Windows/Start Menu/Programs/ on your device and it will appear as an icon in Programs. Or you can place it elsewhere and create a shortcut.

Comments, bug reports, and requests are welcome.

If you like this program and would like to express your appreciation with money, you can donate via Paypal.

Changelog

v0.21
- Added host names from DHCP leases to DMZ and InternalHost dropdown lists.

v0.2
- DHCP Lease editing is completed.
- Virtual Server (aka incoming port mapping) configuration is completed.
- Application definitions (aka outgoing port triggers) configuration is completed.
- Added really simple icons.
- Attempts to accomodate weird ipnat driver configurations.
- Other minor changes/fixes.

v0.11
- Added auto-dialing to Connection Manager destinations
- Added private interface IP setting
- Fixed bugs involving the up/down controls.
- IMPORTANT: If you were using v.1, some of your saved settings may be messed up. To fix this, press the Set All Defaults button at the bottom of the settings panel.

More info on Internet Connection Sharing

ICS allows a private network (for example, an ad-hoc WiFi network) to access another network (for example, the internet) as long as the Windows Mobile device is connected to both networks. It should be able to share between any set of adapters. The common configurations of course would be:

Cellular to WiFi (probably the most common scenario, sharing internet access to a WiFi network)
Cellular to Bluetooth PAN
Cellular to USB

But it should also work with more "interesting" combinations like:

VPN to Wifi - get wireless clients onto a VPN
Wifi to Bluetooth - allow bluetooth network devices to access a WLAN.
Wifi to USB - basically the pda acts as a wireless network card for the PC (neat, eh?)

Attachments

• ICSControl.jpg
    ICSControl.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 22,088
  • ICSControl-0.21.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 38,228
Last edited:
Reactions: trinitysinz

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Will this allow you to select the wifi adapter as well?

Yes. I guess I should point that out as that is probably what people want to do with it. It should be able to share between any set of adapters. The common ones of course would be:
Cellular to Wifi,
Cellular to Bluetooth PAN,
Cellular to USB.

Wifi to USB - basically the pda acts as a wireless network card for the pc

aarmd

Mar 4, 2008
This looks interesting. I am hoping this might help me get my phone connected to my laptop as a modem. I do not appear to have the ipnat.dll. Any suggestions?? TIA. AARMD

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
This looks interesting. I am hoping this might help me get my phone connected to my laptop as a modem. I do not appear to have the ipnat.dll. Any suggestions?? TIA. AARMD

Transplanting ipnat.dll (and the necessary registry settings) from another device is possible but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to distribute it. I know, people do it all the time, and there is no reason for MS to care, but I'd still rather not be the one to do it.

aarmd

Mar 4, 2008
I am using a Verizon 6800 with WM6 Pro and DCD 2.2.5 ROM installed by an acquaintance. I can find an ipnat file, but it is not listed as a .dll. It shows up with the Windows logo. Does this help at all? I am sorry, but I am somewhat new at all this. AARMD

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
I am using a Verizon 6800 with WM6 Pro and DCD 2.2.5 ROM installed by an acquaintance. I can find an ipnat file, but it is not listed as a .dll. It shows up with the Windows logo. Does this help at all? I am sorry, but I am somewhat new at all this. AARMD

That's it. File Explorer hides the extension.

dangelon

Feb 27, 2008
Cool, this is working on my Alltel 6800. I have a laptop that had its internal wireless hosed, I am now posting using the HTC as a (very expensive) wireless card :)
Right now I am running through USB, I have to check it out and see if it works with bluetooth.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Cool, this is working on my Alltel 6800. I have a laptop that had its internal wireless hosed, I am now posting using the HTC as a (very expensive) wireless card :)
Right now I am running through USB, I have to check it out and see if it works with bluetooth.

Hey, most wireless cards can't make phone calls :) Let me know if it works with bluetooth. Also when bridging like that using the DMZ option could be useful since there is only one USB client so all traffic should route to it. If you hit Refresh after your laptop is connected you should see a host entry in the DMZ dropdown, just choose the laptop's ip and then hit stop ics then start ics.

dangelon

Feb 27, 2008
I couldn't get the WiFi to Bluetooth working, but this laptop has had ongoing bluetooth issues. I'll try it out on my MacBook Pro when I get back from vacation.
Yes, on vacation and still dorking around with the phone. The biggest challenge: finding where my girlfriend hid it after getting upset about where my attention has been focused.

diterex

Feb 16, 2007
Does using this program burn up you wireless minutes or do I need a special internet plan added to my account?

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Does using this program burn up you wireless minutes or do I need a special internet plan added to my account?

If you use it to share your internet access then you may be charged for your data usage depending on your service plan. If you don't have an unlimited data plan then you will be charged under most circumstances. On some older phone plans data usage is treated like phone minutes and nights and weekends are free.

diterex

Feb 16, 2007
I was talking to my sprint rep and they said if the phone is used as a modem then extra charges will be applied even though I have unlimited data. This program works around that?

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
I was talking to my sprint rep and they said if the phone is used as a modem then extra charges will be applied even though I have unlimited data. This program works around that?

I do not know how they determine whether you are tethering or not so I can't say for sure. But, seeing as how I've been using this myself quite a bit, I'll find out when I get my next bill from Sprint.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Changes in v0.11
- IMPORTANT: If you were using v0.1, some of your saved settings may be messed up. To fix this, press the Set All Defaults button at the bottom of the settings panel.

Nunim

Dec 26, 2007
Wow, this is a great looking app, sort of like a free WMWifiRouter except free and much more powerful with tons of neat options. Keep up the great work, this app has real potential.

Last edited:

etphonehome

Aug 26, 2007
Have this program stopped working? I down loaded the file and try to open the exe. file but a window pops up saying the program have stopped working. Any ideas of what is going on? I am running windows vista if it helps any.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE
    April 5, 2008 - v0.21 released.

ICS Control is a GUI front-end for Internet Connection Sharing, a component of Microsoft Windows Mobile. It can be configured to do a variety of things including sharing your cellular internet connection over an adhoc WiFi network.

Requirements: .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Windows Mobile 5 or later with the IPNAT driver included (most WM6 builds have this built-in). The "Internet Sharing" application that some phones have is not required, but IPNAT is.

ICSControl is a single .exe file, included in the zip file below. You can place it directly in /Windows/Start Menu/Programs/ on your device and it will appear as an icon in Programs. Or you can place it elsewhere and create a shortcut.

Comments, bug reports, and requests are welcome.

If you like this program and would like to express your appreciation with money, you can donate via Paypal.

Changelog

v0.21
    - Added host names from DHCP leases to DMZ and InternalHost dropdown lists.

v0.2
    - DHCP Lease editing is completed.
    - Virtual Server (aka incoming port mapping) configuration is completed.
    - Application definitions (aka outgoing port triggers) configuration is completed.
    - Added really simple icons.
    - Attempts to accomodate weird ipnat driver configurations.
    - Other minor changes/fixes.

v0.11
    - IMPORTANT: If you were using v.1, some of your saved settings may be messed up. To fix this, press the Set All Defaults button at the bottom of the settings panel.

More info on Internet Connection Sharing

ICS allows a private network (for example, an ad-hoc WiFi network) to access another network (for example, the internet) as long as the Windows Mobile device is connected to both networks. It should be able to share between any set of adapters. The common configurations of course would be:

Cellular to WiFi (probably the most common scenario, sharing internet access to a WiFi network)
    Cellular to Bluetooth PAN
    Cellular to USB

Wifi to USB - basically the pda acts as a wireless network card for the PC (neat, eh?)