Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,798 Members 50,003 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ICS Control v.21 - utility for controlling internet connection sharing

Tip us?

lysdexical
Old
(Last edited by lysdexical; 6th April 2008 at 05:36 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default ICS Control v.21 - utility for controlling internet connection sharing

UPDATE
April 5, 2008 - v0.21 released.

ICS Control is a GUI front-end for Internet Connection Sharing, a component of Microsoft Windows Mobile. It can be configured to do a variety of things including sharing your cellular internet connection over an adhoc WiFi network.

Requirements: .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Windows Mobile 5 or later with the IPNAT driver included (most WM6 builds have this built-in). The "Internet Sharing" application that some phones have is not required, but IPNAT is.

ICSControl is a single .exe file, included in the zip file below. You can place it directly in /Windows/Start Menu/Programs/ on your device and it will appear as an icon in Programs. Or you can place it elsewhere and create a shortcut.

Comments, bug reports, and requests are welcome.

If you like this program and would like to express your appreciation with money, you can donate via Paypal.

Changelog

v0.21
- Added host names from DHCP leases to DMZ and InternalHost dropdown lists.

v0.2
- DHCP Lease editing is completed.
- Virtual Server (aka incoming port mapping) configuration is completed.
- Application definitions (aka outgoing port triggers) configuration is completed.
- Added really simple icons.
- Attempts to accomodate weird ipnat driver configurations.
- Other minor changes/fixes.

v0.11
- Added auto-dialing to Connection Manager destinations
- Added private interface IP setting
- Fixed bugs involving the up/down controls.
- IMPORTANT: If you were using v.1, some of your saved settings may be messed up. To fix this, press the Set All Defaults button at the bottom of the settings panel.

More info on Internet Connection Sharing

ICS allows a private network (for example, an ad-hoc WiFi network) to access another network (for example, the internet) as long as the Windows Mobile device is connected to both networks. It should be able to share between any set of adapters. The common configurations of course would be:

Cellular to WiFi (probably the most common scenario, sharing internet access to a WiFi network)
Cellular to Bluetooth PAN
Cellular to USB

But it should also work with more "interesting" combinations like:

VPN to Wifi - get wireless clients onto a VPN
Wifi to Bluetooth - allow bluetooth network devices to access a WLAN.
Wifi to USB - basically the pda acts as a wireless network card for the PC (neat, eh?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICSControl.jpg
Views:	21101
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	79649  
Attached Files
File Type: zip ICSControl-0.21.zip - [Click for QR Code] (21.5 KB, 36276 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to lysdexical For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pflatlyne
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Will this allow you to select the wifi adapter as well?

lysdexical
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflatlyne View Post
Will this allow you to select the wifi adapter as well?
Yes. I guess I should point that out as that is probably what people want to do with it. It should be able to share between any set of adapters. The common ones of course would be:
Cellular to Wifi,
Cellular to Bluetooth PAN,
Cellular to USB.

But it should also work with more "interesting" combinations like:
VPN to Wifi - get wireless clients onto a VPN
Wifi to Bluetooth - allow bluetooth network devices to access a WLAN.
Wifi to USB - basically the pda acts as a wireless network card for the pc

marriotheblackguy
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Will test this out when I get home tonight...will find out if Sprint noticed it later this month when the bill comes in
Pass me my phone...It's the one that says "Bad Mutha#%&*"!
----------------------------------
SM-N900P - Stock
HTC Supersonic - Jellybread
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" - Cyanogenmod 9

bedoig
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Wow! Sounds great. Downloading now.

aarmd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This looks interesting. I am hoping this might help me get my phone connected to my laptop as a modem. I do not appear to have the ipnat.dll. Any suggestions?? TIA. AARMD

lysdexical
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarmd View Post
This looks interesting. I am hoping this might help me get my phone connected to my laptop as a modem. I do not appear to have the ipnat.dll. Any suggestions?? TIA. AARMD
Transplanting ipnat.dll (and the necessary registry settings) from another device is possible but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to distribute it. I know, people do it all the time, and there is no reason for MS to care, but I'd still rather not be the one to do it.

aarmd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am using a Verizon 6800 with WM6 Pro and DCD 2.2.5 ROM installed by an acquaintance. I can find an ipnat file, but it is not listed as a .dll. It shows up with the Windows logo. Does this help at all? I am sorry, but I am somewhat new at all this. AARMD

lysdexical
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarmd View Post
I am using a Verizon 6800 with WM6 Pro and DCD 2.2.5 ROM installed by an acquaintance. I can find an ipnat file, but it is not listed as a .dll. It shows up with the Windows logo. Does this help at all? I am sorry, but I am somewhat new at all this. AARMD
That's it. File Explorer hides the extension.

dangelon
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Cool, this is working on my Alltel 6800. I have a laptop that had its internal wireless hosed, I am now posting using the HTC as a (very expensive) wireless card
Right now I am running through USB, I have to check it out and see if it works with bluetooth.