Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara: Modified Android L and Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and software enthusiasts. The … more

difference between[E] and [G] icon?

15th March 2008, 10:16 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I found sthg really weird in my unlocked ATT tilt today. I m curently using T-mobile. As many of you know that, you rarely get signal/reception in basement if you are using t-mobile. but today, when i went down to the basement, reception was gone w/ the E icon, then after a while, the E icon was changed to G, then the signal was detected and I could make phone call too. and the carrier on the screen is still T-mobile. Nothing changed except the E/G Icon. I then checked w/ my friend who is also using T-mobile(nokia phone), no reception at all. Does any one know what the difference between E and G icon on top of the screen is? will I be charged for some type of service fee or something if I make calls or use the Tmobile web w/ the [G] icon? please tell me if you guys know anything about it.
thanks in advance...
15th March 2008, 10:33 AM   |  #2  
Flag Dundee/Louth

18 posts
More
The "E" is picking up an edge reception, i get it in the UK sometimes because i have a crappy t-mobile signal in my house. When its displayed i cant make phonecalls/txts etc so might be picking up another carriers signal because i dont think t-mob uses edge here. The "G" is gprs just the basic slow phones signal.
15th March 2008, 10:36 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

1,203 posts
More
G is when GPRS is available, E is when EDGE is available. No extra charge. This could have been easily answered by looking in the manual.......page 29
15th March 2008, 10:37 AM   |  #4  
Flag Alabama
Thanks Meter: 54

334 posts
More
I guess this may be different for T-Mobile (and could possibly vary on the ROM you're using) but the E on my device is for EDGE service, and G is for 3G service. 3G, obviously, is the better of the two. But I'm on AT&T of course...
15th March 2008, 11:28 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetique

I guess this may be different for T-Mobile (and could possibly vary on the ROM you're using) but the E on my device is for EDGE service, and G is for 3G service. 3G, obviously, is the better of the two. But I'm on AT&T of course...

I don't think T-mobile has 3G here in NY.

Thanks for all the replies above
so, the signal of GPRS is stronger than the EDGE? if yes, then we are all able to get reception even if in basement. No need to get verizon anymore... lol
but why can't my friends' phones picked up any GPRS signal? is that because their phones don't support GPRS?
15th March 2008, 12:14 PM   |  #6  
Flag Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
Thanks Meter: 32

914 posts
More
Quote:

And then H (HSDPA) just defeats them all.
15th March 2008, 12:25 PM   |  #7  
Flag Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 37

148 posts
More
Wink
One Icon to rule them all, One Icon to find them...
15th March 2008, 01:07 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 11

161 posts
More
Nono
Quote:

No no no, g is not 3g, G is GPRS, the slower version of EDGE, thats the reason why you can call in your basement now!

G is GPRS
E is EDGE
3G is UMTS
H is HPSDA

first is the slowest, last is the fastest, so if the fastest is not availible, it switches to a slower one, like happened in the TS situation
15th March 2008, 10:09 PM   |  #9  
Flag Washington DC

16 posts
More
My icon used to pretty much always be on 3G, sometimes switching to E when I drove to my brothers house which is about 25 miles away. But recently I haven't been seeing 3G at all, but only H. I did see E a couple days ago, but I haven't seen 3G in more than a week now. I thought H was only supposed to show up when you were using a data network or something? At least that's what I read somewhere on here a while ago... Any explanations?
15th March 2008, 11:10 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

1,203 posts
More
that H is wat you want to see

first H shows up when downloading data means you're using HSDPA, but is H shows up when u're not downloading data, you have HSUPA too

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread