Thread Closed

Let people ask whatever they like!

OP j1ngles

17th March 2008, 12:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

112 posts
All,

I've been a member of this forum for a few months now and am sincerely grateful for all the useful advice and help I have received. My own posting count is relatively low because I only try to help if I have something useful to say.

The one overriding post I tend to see these days is the idiot who likes bash the other users for not reading threads, doing searches etc. Now I actually have a full time job in the I.T industry, am pretty much computer savvy and enjoy tinkering with my phone when time allows. It seems to me some of the members here have far much too time on their hands and spend it endlessly trawling to give someone a mauling.

I wonder how many useful posts these people ever actually put in to the forum.

Now I agree that if you have the time to read all the relevant threads, do the searches etc you have a good chance of finding an answer. But there comes a time when some of these posts are just not feasible anymore. Dutty's rom post for 6.1 is a major epic these days and I for one don't have the time or inclination to scroll through all this especially when a whole load of it is just crap from people increasing their post count.

So my point is let people ask, especially the n00bs who probably don't realise the lambasting they're going to get. If you know the answer then reply, if you don't then shut up. That way the posts will get shorter and the idiots will get bored quicker.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to j1ngles For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th March 2008, 12:15 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

112 posts
Let people say whatever they like!
All,

I've been a member of this forum for a few months now and am sincerely grateful for all the useful advice and help I have received. My own posting count is relatively low because I only try to help if I have something useful to say.

The one overriding post I tend to see these days is the idiot who likes bash the other users for not reading threads, doing searches etc. Now I actually have a full time job in the I.T industry, am pretty much computer savvy and enjoy tinkering with my phone when time allows. It seems to me some of the members here have far much too time on their hands and spend it endlessly trawling to give someone a mauling.

Now I agree that if you have the time to read all the relevant threads, do the searches etc you have a good chance of finding an answer. But there comes a time when some of these posts are just not feasible anymore. Dutty's rom post for 6.1 is a major epic these days and I for one don't have the time or inclination to scroll through all this especially when a whole load of it is just crap from people increasing their post count.

So my point is let people ask, especially the n00bs who probably don't realise the lambasting they're going to get. If you know the answer then reply, if you don't then shut up. That way the posts will get shorter and the idiots will get bored quicker.
17th March 2008, 12:19 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

38 posts
Well said. This is the worst forum I've ever come across for noob bashing. It's a shame because there are a lot of helpful people here.

The odd post I have had to make asking for help took me 30 mins or so of searching just to make sure it's not been covered before, for fear of getting jumped on by the resident 'net police'.
17th March 2008, 12:19 PM   |  #4  

38 posts
By the way, if this subject has come up before, I don't care because I didn't search so there!
17th March 2008, 12:27 PM   |  #5  
Flag Boca Raton, Florida
Thanks Meter: 2

116 posts
More
I agree. Isn't a forum supossed to be just that, a place where people can come to ask questions even though there is a wiki, search, etc?
17th March 2008, 12:38 PM   |  #6  
Flag Johannesburg
Thanks Meter: 8

607 posts
More
HEAR HEAR!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1ngles

All,

Well put j1ngles!!! I never had this newbie bashing in the Wizard forum, which I joined almost 2 years ago.

This is the worst forum for n00b bashing this side of the whirlpool galaxy!!!

I agree 110%. If people ask "stupid" questions and someone feels obliged to assist, then by all means do so or shut up.

I have helped n00bs by providing certain cabs etc and then I have been criticised!!!

Good point here - I do believe that one of the mods has actually issued a warning against n00b bashing, so that's a step in the right direction.
17th March 2008, 12:39 PM   |  #7  

52 posts
More
Totally agree with you.

The search function is useful, but if you are new how are you supposed to know the exact techie term to make the search results useful?! Who knows how many budding chefs etc we are turning away becuz someone jumps on their back within 2 minutes giving them a hard time?

We're all here becuz we want to learn, and develop our devices into something different and better, so lets try to support each other and be gentle on the new guys.
17th March 2008, 12:52 PM   |  #8  
Flag Barcelona

11 posts
Well said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1ngles

All,

I fully agree with you j1ngles!!!
17th March 2008, 01:09 PM   |  #9  
Flag London (nearly)

540 posts
More
You learn, search terms, how to search and even better (and something difficult for me) patience... after all if you are going to spend the money on a serious piece of equipment (even if you get it as part of a deal with a phone company you brick it you will have to pay) you better learn properly how to do whatever it is you want to do... I am about as far from computer savvy as you can get but I have learned what terms to use in a search, how to use the search and even better how to make notes on what I read and where I get up to so I can refer to a thread and pick up where I left off... I too dont have much time (especially lately) but I still take my time and read, search etc before asking the SAME question for the 2359834098345054390843986th time... on the same page...
17th March 2008, 01:11 PM   |  #10  
Flag Aberdeen

19 posts
More
A good point very well made.

If you don't want to help someone out fine , just don't post a reply. Better that than to ridicule someone and put them off posting again.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread