Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,175 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stupid Question But ... GSM Question

Tip us?

nbos04
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Stupid Question But ... GSM Question

OK, I have read the specs and the HTC Shift has the ability to connect to the GSM networks. Since I am still waiting for the back orders to arrive (and therefore make my order), I just have to ask. Does the HTC Shift conduct SMS through GSM or the GPRS/EDGE/3G/3.5G systems.

Why ask - I often travel a lot to other contries that ONLY have GSM. the HTC Shift not only lets me replace my current laptop for my travels, but also (if GSM works, either in country or through TELSTRA roaming) lets me SMS my family and use it as a modem through the cellular network. The HTC manual suggests it can do this (set the modem settings from "cellular.GPRS" to just "cellular"), and the setup is exactly like WM6 (funny about that I suppose).

So the question, once posed, is - does the HTC Shift recongnise GSM or only 2.5G up?

Pantaloonie
Old
Thanks Meter 7
My SMS service is set to send over GSM.

nbos04
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, that answers the question. With Snapvue cracked open, global roaming on 3G or GSM and the PC power I need for work-on-the-go (I don't really stress the laptop, nor this thing, on the road - the Laptop will still remain "Home Base" in a secure area), I finaly have a replacement for the very old and well loved CASSIOPIA (man I loved that thing - and it was such a pity to loose it to newer OS and software)

sonietje
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The Shift recognizes GSM to send and receive SMS but no phone calls. I have an UMTS data plan but I had to check with my provider because I had the 'call barring' function enabled for outgoing calls so I could not send SMS but only receive them.