FORUMS

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

CleanSlate Brings Fingerprint Scanner Mod to HTC One M9+

Work of XDA Recognized Developer tbalden, CleanSlate custom kernel for the HTC … more

Sunday Debate: Which Factors Caused HTC’s Woes?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on HTC’s situation. Come with your … more

HTC’s New Ad Campaign And What It Really Means

HTC has just released three new blind test adverts comparing app loading … more

walkie talkie

183 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By mech_supernova, Senior Member on 23rd March 2008, 07:36 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I searched and couldent find anything in this fourm or anywere else. I dont know how PTT or walkie talkie's work but I was thinking they work vary similar and I could be way off on this but I was wondering is there any way to use the PTT part of the phone as a simple short range walkie talkie that will communicate with simple stand alone walkie talkies? I saw a wifi program but I am prettysure walkie talkie's dont communicate via wifi.

23rd March 2008, 08:35 PM |#2  
Flag Temple

More
hmm that would be kinda cool. Wanna go out in the back yard and play commando?
23rd March 2008, 10:11 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumleyEX

hmm that would be kinda cool. Wanna go out in the back yard and play commando?

lol something like that, it would be useful to me at work when me and the guys I work for are on different floors.
23rd March 2008, 10:13 PM |#4  
Flag SL,UT
Thanks Meter: 48

More
I'm going to say no. AFAIK, PTT works more like a regular phone call than an actual walkie-talkie. I don't think the phone has any other kind of radio inside of it.
24th March 2008, 12:00 AM |#5  
Flag Temple

More
ah man, why the buzz kill. We're not friends anymore!
24th March 2008, 01:13 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthing

I'm going to say no. AFAIK, PTT works more like a regular phone call than an actual walkie-talkie. I don't think the phone has any other kind of radio inside of it.

yea thats kinda what I was thinking
24th March 2008, 09:19 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Several Instant messaging applications (Agile Mobile and Palringo(free), for example) offer a walkie talky like functionality, as long as you are on a data plan or WiFi you can use it.

Palringo even goes a step further with having "Groups" so that you can use the voice chat with a group of people all at the same time.
28th March 2008, 03:08 PM |#8  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 0

More
yea that was what i was about to say
28th March 2008, 04:53 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
you wont be able to use normal walki talki frequenzies. The normal frequenzies are PMR wich is in the ~446mhz band. our phone work in 850/900/1800/1900 mhz. way off.
Perhaps theres some way to make a new firmware for the radiochips wich would support them, but i doubt that its possible.

As you wont be able to communicate with normal radios, there wont be much sense for you to use that as work.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread