Votes: 209 59.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

nicholasb

Nov 7, 2006
Oregon
ROM Advice

Hey All!

I haven't been following the rom scene lately and I don't wish to start a flame war on the topic.. I'm just interested in some general information on what different roms are available form my Dash. If there is an existing post, please direct me too it as I have been trolling but did not find anything terribly informative on the topic.

I've been experiencing weird issues on my 6.0 standard rom. ICScontrol not working, wm9 codecs not working and i figure its time to try something new..

I'm looking for features of the rom, a how-to on installing it (already familiar with flashing, no big woop.. just don't wanna brick it), and what roms are available for the s60.

Information is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

nicholasb

Nov 7, 2006
Oregon
FYI Rickys is a remake (cosmetic version of kavanas rom)
Homescreen edits, iconbar, apps, etc.

Ah, that makes sense. Looking at Ricky's rom now.. Seems to contain most of what i'm looking for. Seems to have a little better (neater and more precise) documentation/changelog.

Downloading now! Will do a backup and get'r'dun tomorrow..

Thanks for the help and quick response!

skaroger867

Jan 23, 2007
Kentucky
Ah, that makes sense. Looking at Ricky's rom now.. Seems to contain most of what i'm looking for. Seems to have a little better (neater and more precise) documentation/changelog.

Downloading now! Will do a backup and get'r'dun tomorrow..

Thanks for the help and quick response!

let us know how ya like it. theres a lot to customize in rickys rom. im running version 12 and im just now getting it exactly the way i like it.

Profezza

Mar 15, 2008
If you need anything for a restore, the Original ROMs are in my sig.

These are all, of course, 5.0 and 6.0 releases. Nothing interesting, just useful if you are stuck at the bootloader, need to restore for a warranty etc.

nicholasb

Nov 7, 2006
Oregon
If you need anything for a restore, the Original ROMs are in my sig.

These are all, of course, 5.0 and 6.0 releases. Nothing interesting, just useful if you are stuck at the bootloader, need to restore for a warranty etc.

Hah, i don't think i'll have to worry about my warranty any more.. I was impressed with the Dash for the following reason..

A few months ago I was visiting a friend, I pulled my phone out and set it on the arm of the chair I was sitting in. My friend asked me to hand him something within my reach, when I reached for it I knocked my phone off the chair... Directly into a BUCKET OF WATER!!!! As I watched my phone sink to the bottom I thought "WHO KEEPS A BUCKET OF WATER NEXT TO THEIR CHAIR?!?!?!?"..

The phone remained on even after I pulled it out.. I quickly yanked the battery out and patted it dry. I let it sit for a few hours and also put it over the heater vent in the car.

Surprisingly, it survived! No weird behavior, no power issues (other then my now swollen battery).. The phone survived! Holly crap!

So needless to say, I am impressed by this durability of this phone..

nicholasb

Nov 7, 2006
Oregon
IT WORKED!

Wooha! It worked.. Just gettin into all the features.. But I love it so far!!!

Thanks for all the help, add this to another success story!

lukybandit

Retired Moderator
Jul 5, 2005
Mississauga
WM6 to WM6.1 - What are the Pros & Cons?

Hello,

I'm a long time member but just haven't had the time to come on here. Some of you might remember me from before. I haven't had the chance to upgrade from WM6 to WM6.1 - Can someone please be kind enough to list the pros & cons? Also, are all applications compatible from before and finally, how's the ROM speed and reception?

Thanks in advance :)

NRGZ28

Retired Senior Mod & Senior RD
Apr 6, 2007
XDA-Developers
In my opinion the biggest pro would be the sliding panels theme. I can't think of any cons, but I'm sure some crybaby will. lol

Profezza

Mar 15, 2008
Pros: What Organic said. New PIe that sucks 20% less. Threaded messaging is smart. Tons of well cooked ROMs that exploit it.

Cons: You can't get it in an official ROM from your vendor, so you will have to look up the settings for Internet, MMS and follow the instructions when doing the first cold boot. OMG.

superminipoo

Mar 9, 2008
just install it. no if, and, or buts about it.

well, some crybaby did say that the radio isnt better, but worse. only 1 crybaby though. IMO i think its better, but i never tested. i would say its not better or worse.

on the bright side, its faster, more solid, more and better apps, more memory....umm better battery life? i cant confirm this tho. i have ricky's rom v17 i think and im happy with it. i can tell u its waaaaaaaayyy better then WM6.

Antmarques

Aug 27, 2005
One more in favor :) Just installed last night ricki´s rom v20a. Just awesome. Didn´t find a glitch yet. Very complete set of applications... i only miss a rss reader but there´s plenty of them out there. At least this version as a connection wizard so i didn´t had to look for mms, etc, settings in the net.

So far i only think it has less programs memory available after a reboot. In my case a little more than 17mg. With WM6 i had about 19mg. Not a big thing...

In the end, is too good to let it slide...

mikeyboy49

May 1, 2008
If I wanted to update my HTC 620 to WM6.1 where would I get the firmware to do it. I am new to this but would like the options of sliding screens etc. any help would be gratefully accepted.