Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,212 Members 42,793 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to tell if SMS messages have been read?

Tip us?

KingofX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How to tell if SMS messages have been read?

Background: I've flashed with DCD's 3.0.4 rom, Verizon XV6800. ArcSoft MMS 5.0.31.11 running.

Question: How can you tell on this if an SMS text you send is read by the recipient? Honestly, I couldn't even figure that out when the phone was stock. I know on this version of ArcSoft MMS there's actually a checkbox for delivery and read reports in the MMS Options...but I only get a delivery report when sending an MMS (not a SMS message) and even THEN I can't tell when it has been read.

Is it just not possible? Older phones show a little D or a checkmark by the message when it's read...how about our flashier PPC's? Anyone know?

gc14
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Older phones show a little D or a checkmark by the message when it's read...how about our flashier PPC's? Anyone know?
The D or checkmark does not indicate if the message has been read, rather it indicates if the message was received by the recipient's handset. For example, if the recipient had their phone off, the checkmark would not appear until they turned it on and the message was delivered to their phone.
Motorola Droid X
---------------------------------
Motorola Droid - Retired
HTC Touch Pro - Retired
HTC Titan - Retired
HTC Apache - Retired

GC's Touch Pro ROMs & Kitchen
If you're pleased with me or my work...leave me a donation
Twitter: @gcincotta

gbenj
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcincotta View Post
The D or checkmark does not indicate if the message has been read, rather it indicates if the message was received by the recipient's handset. For example, if the recipient had their phone off, the checkmark would not appear until they turned it on and the message was delivered to their phone.
Any way to get that? or to check somewhere and see if the message has been delivered?

gc14
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Any way to get that? or to check somewhere and see if the message has been delivered?
Yes there is a way, but there are cons. It either clutters your inbox, or you are forced to delete a message everytime you send one.

Navigate to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings and change DisableSMSDeliveryReceipt to 0 and change SMSDeliveryNotify to 1 and soft reset.

Give it a try, if it annoys you, to go back to normal, just flip flop them.
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid - Retired
HTC Touch Pro - Retired
HTC Titan - Retired
HTC Apache - Retired

gbenj
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Yes there is a way, but there are cons. It either clutters your inbox, or you are forced to delete a message everytime you send one.

Navigate to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings and change DisableSMSDeliveryReceipt to 0 and change SMSDeliveryNotify to 1 and soft reset.

Give it a try, if it annoys you, to go back to normal, just flip flop them.
if youve got threaded sms, woulndt it store it all on one thread?
I dont actually know how or what it does, but just a thought...

thanks, will give it a try though.

KingofX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I was going by a friend who has Verizon and a Motorola phone and he claims that when his texts are read by recipients that it places a checkmark on his phone. Your point makes sense though.

Back to the original question however...what about on our XV6800's? Is there any way to tell when an SMS is read?

shield001
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Actually most phones have a delivered and a read notification. like on my girlfriends u740 it'll have the delivered time and then the read time below it. I used to have a blackberry and it would put a check if it was delivered and a check+D if it was read. I'd love to have this feature but i don't think anyone has found a workaround yet

gc14
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Actually most phones have a delivered and a read notification. like on my girlfriends u740 it'll have the delivered time and then the read time below it. I used to have a blackberry and it would put a check if it was delivered and a check+D if it was read. I'd love to have this feature but i don't think anyone has found a workaround yet
Again, these times are NOT when the person actually reads the message. They lead you to believe that that's the case when it is not. In the case of your friend's phone, the delivered time is actually the time that the message was relayed from the network to the recipient, and the read time is the time when the handset actually receives the message. The message could sit in the recipient's Inbox for 3 weeks unread and you would never know the difference. Nevertheless, this feature does not exist on windows mobile devices and the only workaround is getting a message from System Administrator telling you the message was sent successful every time you send one. Messages from System Administrator are NOT threaded.

Example: I turn notify on and send a message but I don't have service. The message looks like it goes through on my end, but until I receive the System Administrator notification, it technically hasn't been received yet. Like I said, this clutters the Inbox with all those messages as they are not threaded, or you can delete the notification after every time you send a message. This is the only way to achieve something like this.
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid - Retired
HTC Touch Pro - Retired
HTC Titan - Retired
HTC Apache - Retired

gbenj
Old
Thanks Meter 12
but even if it is succesfully sent, does that indicate receipt of the message? do you get notification when u have succesfully sent the message, even if the recipient has their phone off?

shield001
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Again, these times are NOT when the person actually reads the message. They lead you to believe that that's the case when it is not. In the case of your friend's phone, the delivered time is actually the time that the message was relayed from the network to the recipient, and the read time is the time when the handset actually receives the message. The message could sit in the recipient's Inbox for 3 weeks unread and you would never know the difference.
So I tested this and on her u740 she sent me a message and i received it like 10 secs later and it showed delivered at that time. I waited about an hour and opened the message(even though I could read it when it came through) and closed out of my texts which got rid of the notification and it added delivered 10 mins later.

I'm pretty sure this is only a verizon thing and almost every verizon non windows phone is capable of this feature. Also verizon only charges for text messages that are read from the handset if you don't have unlimited texts which is prob why they have this feature.

Maybe it's not a feature available on our phones but It is possible to have.