Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

64GB microSDXC card in a Kaiser

OP marcsayer

22nd October 2012, 04:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Oakridge, OR
Thanks Meter: 14

28 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yes, honestly, you absolutely can run a 64GB microSDXC in a Kaiser. At least I can verify that with WM6.5. I'm using the 64GB card in my HD2 with no problems. I figured it should work in a Kaiser too, so I tried it in my wife's Tilt. I installed my SanDisk 64GB class 10 micro SDXC card in my wife's Tilt and it worked flawlessly. The phone does read the full 64GB and can access it all (less the usual overhead). You do have to reformat it first as it comes formatted exFAT, which can't be read (someone on the HD2 forum has said WP7 can handle exFAT, but I don't run WP on anything so I can't say). It needs to be formatted in FAT32 for WM. The kicker with that, if you try to format it in your PC, is that MS has deemed that FAT32 is 32 GB max (hence the name FAT32, duh) and if you use the inbuilt format feature in any recent version of Windows, it will only format it in exFAT or NTFS. I also tried using a program called SDFormatter but it would not allow me to format in FAT32 either. There is a way to do it from a DOS command but... I ended up using EaseUS Partion Master Home Edition, which is a free program. It worked a charm, and was very fast as well, Then I xxcopy'ed my SD card contents onto the new 64GB card and installed it in the phone. Both my 32GB and my 64GB are class 10s. I use XXcopy to keep a backup of my SD card on my computer, just in case. I update the backup every couple weeks or if I have updated anything on the phone significantly. My wife's Tilt is running ahmedfikry's wm6.5 light rom. When the 128GB microSDXC comes out (and who knows when that will be), it should work in the Kaiser as well. Bottom line is that once reformatted, any micro SDXC card should work in any device designed for microSDHC, regardless of the crad's capacity. So we may someday be running 2TB cards in these old phones. Yeeehaw! Of course you're still stuck with the limits of FAT32, but having extra storage will be nice. BTW I got my 64GB microSDXC card from Buy.com for <$48 including shipping so it's not like these are really all that spendy anymore. For anyone like me who uses their phone as an mp3 player, this is a real plus. Even back when I was using a Tilt, I had my 32 GB card pretty well maxed out with all my mp3 files.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread