Titan keyboard problems (key repeats, hard presses needed, etc.)

Search This thread
Does anyone else have a problem with their Titan and the keyboard? This has slowly driven me insane since I got the phone from a friend (which spent most of it's time in the box because he bought an iPhone less than a month later). Some of the keys when pressed (namely E, W, R, M, and N) repeat at least three or four times with each press. Other keys (ALT, shift, P, O) have to be pressed really hard to even register at all.

Is this a common problem with the Titans? I've personally used at least five or six, and mine is the only one to do this. Anyone have a whole keyboard for sale?!

My spacebar is the problem for me. It clicks but doesnt register like all the other keys, you really have to press it. The person that sold it to me never mentioned this issue. So i wonder if its something else.

techboss

Apr 27, 2007
Thanks VC - I was going nuts with all kinds of missed/duplicated key entries. I noticed it started happening after the last official ROM update and suspected it was a driver issue. I put the Keyfix on tonight and my Titan is all better. I am going to be mad-texting the next couple of days just because!

007_Mogul

Jul 2, 2008
Thx for the zip file to fix the keyboard problem. I had the same issue but luckily Sprint just gave me a new phone. But I downloaded it just in case!:cool:

dalsik

Feb 5, 2007
I still have the keyboard problems after running the 'fix' file that was posted in this thread. UUUUGGGGHHH.

worwig

Jan 19, 2008
Go to an electronics store. Get a can of plastic safe contact cleaner (I use Caig Pro Gold). Spray down into the keys. If you use good stuff, it will also lube the slides. All better.

uncleshake

Sep 17, 2008
can't open the keyboard fix

i have read all of you post and am very excited that my keyboard issues may be on the way to being eliminated, but i can't for the life of me open the zip file... maybe i am just too inexperience w/ this type of thing, but can anyone help with this... i wanna be able to type on my phone again
-uncleshake

JBananas

Dec 6, 2007
same problem with my phone...the 'function' button. I have to press it really hard to be able to access the numbers or symbols above the normal keys. I saw the file on the HTC website while updating the rom, but it still doesn't work -- definate hardware problem

whatbish

Aug 24, 2007
I am also having the same problem with a refurb fone i recieved yesterday, and i need my keyboard badly, nonetheless reading everbodies post i decided to use a guitar pick to wedge the keyboard out of the case housing.

I inserted the guitar pick in the middle underneath the space bar button and wedged in, and proceeded to wedge from left to right and back to middle until the keyboard became loose enough to slightly begin to peal off, starting from back to front BUT i did not remove the keyboard completely (because i got scared lol) and decided to put it back how it was and run my fingers firmly and repeatdly up and down to reseat the keyboard back in place.

This helped alot, it isnt perfect but it gives me enough functionality to wait for my other refurb phone :) .....hope this helps and if your scared you might break the keyboard and or dont have a guitar pick, I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO IT. A guitar pick is plastic and does not damage a keyboard like a small metal screw driver would.

Thanks for all your posts and I hope everyone here gets a new mogul :)

idelgado782

Jul 29, 2008
Union, NJ
Awesome! I have always had this problem before and after the updates! I just sent an email and seemed to work fine. I'll see tomrorrow when I'm doing some heavy duty texting while at work! LOL! :D

NemesisXV6800

Jul 29, 2008
My FN key was almost dead until I sprayed it with cleaner.

Did you use the contact cleaner with lubricant? I saw some of this stuff in Radio Shack today and almost bought it until I saw the mineral oil it had in it. I wasn't sure if that would hurt anything or not. They didn't have any without the lube in it, so I bought some canned air to try that, no luck. My function key is almost completely gone, it is terrible to try to type numbers and letters fast!

thundaar2000

Dec 31, 2007
New England
Did you use the contact cleaner with lubricant? I saw some of this stuff in Radio Shack today and almost bought it until I saw the mineral oil it had in it. I wasn't sure if that would hurt anything or not. They didn't have any without the lube in it, so I bought some canned air to try that, no luck. My function key is almost completely gone, it is terrible to try to type numbers and letters fast!

My fn key is almost dead too. I went to the vzw store and they sprayed air also. Still have to press hard to get to the numbers. They said if it is still a problem to bring it in for a replacement... I think I might try the above mentioned cleaner/lube spray?!

worwig

Jan 19, 2008
Caig Pro Gold.

It is plastic safe. Good stuff. We had a connector problem with one of our products. After extensive testing, and analyzing what was in it, Caig won out.

It makes a bit of a mess. But it made my keyboard work SO MUCH better. The FN key and many others around the perimeter had nearly quit working all together.

I obviously got some dirt on it from my pocket because the slide wasn't woking so well either. The Caig cleaned and lubbed it too. :cool:

NemesisXV6800

Jul 29, 2008
Caig Pro Gold.

It is plastic safe. Good stuff. We had a connector problem with one of our products. After extensive testing, and analyzing what was in it, Caig won out.

It makes a bit of a mess. But it made my keyboard work SO MUCH better. The FN key and many others around the perimeter had nearly quit working all together.

I obviously got some dirt on it from my pocket because the slide wasn't woking so well either. The Caig cleaned and lubbed it too. :cool:

Thats awesome, i really want to try this out. Is there any special way to do it? Just spray all over the keys and push them for a bit, or do you have to lift them up then spray? Also, whats the word on this affecting the warranty, anyone know? Thanks!

cricraz

Jun 14, 2008
I have the same problem with my Sprint Mogul, i just went to sprint store couple days ago and they are replacing my mogul with a brand new one..for free..i'll be getting it by next thursday..will let you guys know..how that goes!!!!

chitlin

Aug 25, 2007
I tried all the potential fixes in this thread but mine was too far gone. I ordered a replacement hosuing, which fixed the keyboard issue (like a charm!) but created another unintended problem - the keyboard "slide sensor" isn't working as it should. :(

After ripping apart the keyboard I can say that it's pretty well built but I can most definitely see humidity and/or liquid getting under the glue that holds it together, possibly sealing in moisture or - at the very least - allowing moisture in.

wasupwithuman

Apr 6, 2007
Flagstaff
www.leumas.net
Hardware or Software.

I had the same problem with my last titan...but it was definately hardware, and not software... Normally if it's hardware, you will notice the backlight won't come on, on your keyboard.... If it's software, (that patch posted on the first page will fix it) the backlight still turns on... thats how i found the difference...

bcbrett

Jul 27, 2007
the contact cleaner worked

My phone has been getting worse and worse, and sprint didn't seem to think that the shift button needed to work. Well the keyboard fix cab takes care of the double letters problems, but it stopped working on the shift key. So yesterday on the way home from work i stopped at Radio shack and got a caig 2 pack of contact cleaner. The 2 little bottles one is a cleaner only the other is a preservative and lube. Little suckers cost a bunch but I figured there were other things I could use them on. I used the cleaner only two times and there was no change, i was a little sad about that, not sure if i wanted to use the one with the lube in it. I decided that since sprint didn't care that the button wasn't working I guess id give the other bottle a try. A couple of quick sprays later and my shift key is working almost perfectly, every once in a while it will miss a press, but it's 99% better. Just wanted to let everyone out there know that it worked and it was easy, after the months of issues this keyboard has given me it makes me wish i did this a long time ago.