Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 54,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ATT Device Support Center for Tilt repair

Tip us?

duytch
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default ATT Device Support Center for Tilt repair

I need to have my Tilt serviced under AT&T warranty and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Device Support Center?

I am debating whether I should use the mail exchange or take the phone to the Device Support Center.

I understand that you only get a refurbished replacement using the mail exchange.

My question is, if you get your phone exchanged at the Device Support Center, do you get a new unit or a refurbished unit? The AT&T website says that they will "swap" the phone, but no mention of whether i's a new or refurbed unit.

xxx_mosh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by duytch View Post
I need to have my Tilt serviced under AT&T warranty and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Device Support Center?

I am debating whether I should use the mail exchange or take the phone to the Device Support Center.

I understand that you only get a refurbished replacement using the mail exchange.

My question is, if you get your phone exchanged at the Device Support Center, do you get a new unit or a refurbished unit? The AT&T website says that they will "swap" the phone, but no mention of whether i's a new or refurbed unit.
i did the mail exchanged and i got a refurbished one it took a week tho but you couldnt tell its refurbished been using it for a couple of months now and it just like brand new
att tilt
rom- who knows
radio:1.71.09.01 EMO

next fone-htc fuze hopefully next month

ChumleyEX
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Pretty much all places will give you a refurb after 30 days. Should they give you a new one if your used one is broken?

And Knowing Is Half The Battle
------------------------------
Chumley

Galaxy S3/Blue
Carrier: AT&T

glennordway
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Traditionally the DSC only carries refurbs in stock. The best way to get a NEW model would be to call the warranty dept over the phone and request a new model. However, it is not a garauntee that they will reissue you a new phone unless they no longer have any seed stock equipment in stock.

But, AT&T fully tests the refurbished models before placing them in stock and should a refurb go bad, then you are welcome to call the warranty dept again stating that the refurb has gone bad and to replace it with a new one so that the problem doesnt continue to happen or get worse.

Lastly, keep in mind that regardless of when you get a phone from the DSC or the Warranty Dept, the ORIGINAL warranty still applies. So they only warranty the phone for 1 year from the original phone purchase date or 90 days if the phone is outside of the 1 year after replacement.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

ChumleyEX
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Oh I think we have an at&t employee or ex employee trolling around the forum.

Chumley

Galaxy S3/Blue

duytch
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumleyEX View Post
Pretty much all places will give you a refurb after 30 days. Should they give you a new one if your used one is broken?
I don't mind getting a refurb unit, but I don't want to end up with one of those earlier models with the usb/battery problem.

I was trying to see if anyone has had any experience with getting the phone exchanged at the "Device Support Center." Since ATT exchanges the device on site, I guess I could at least make sure the phone functions and that there're no visible defects.

glennordway
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumleyEX View Post
Oh I think we have an at&t employee or ex employee trolling around the forum.
lol... Yes, Im a DM for an AT&T Authorized Retailer in Jacksonville.

ChumleyEX
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennordway View Post
lol... Yes, Im a DM for an AT&T Authorized Retailer in Jacksonville.
Oh it shows with your carefully scripted reply. (I'm not saying you were reading from one, just that you probley say it just like that all the time)

Chumley

Galaxy S3/Blue

webedc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by duytch View Post
I don't mind getting a refurb unit, but I don't want to end up with one of those earlier models with the usb/battery problem.

I was trying to see if anyone has had any experience with getting the phone exchanged at the "Device Support Center." Since ATT exchanges the device on site, I guess I could at least make sure the phone functions and that there're no visible defects.
I got my AT&T Tilt exchanged twice at the DSC in San Diego, California. They only carry refurbs but you really couldn't tell (well, I could for the first refurb I got...).

I'm not sure what 'usb/battery problem' you're referring to as my original Tilt that I got back in October 2007 didn't have that problem. Anyway, the two refurbs that I got were already loaded with the 'latest' ROM update released from HTC+AT&T.

Hope it helps.
Current: AT&T Tilt/8925/Kaiser/TyTN II
HardSPL: 3.56
ROM: AT&T Official WM6.1
Radio:1.65.21.18
SIM Unlocked: jockyw2001 v0.1

Tempted: Palm Treo Pro
Tried: AT&T Treo 750, VZW 700wx, 700w, 700p, 650
Tried too: AT&T Samsung Blackjack

SouthernLuke
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just a bit of info.

My dad's star trek's usb port died on him. AT&T sent him a wizard to replace it.
Phone: Tilt
Rom: Hyperdragon III
Rom Mods: None
Radio: 1.65.24.36 (Best Ever)