Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,194 Members 41,657 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

BackLight brightness adjust command line utility for Kaiser aka TYTN II

Tip us?

fluffylad
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Thanks - can confirm also works on my TouchDual

Like many others I have been looking for something like this for ages as is impossible to see screen to adjust brightness when already outside.

I can confirm works perfectly on my TouchDual where I have used the Buttons setting to assign to my VolUp button when held.

Many thanks, lobsterii
jxxx

Balrog82
Old
Thanks Meter 4
sweet, gonna try this. will hopefully work superb with my ultimatelaunch setup.
tvos Old
Thanks Meter
someone help me here....

is this correct for creating a command line for backlight?

\Program files\bl\bl02.exe 1 3 9

created a short-cut in the start-menu, then created a folder called bl where the .exe is stored.

all i want is that that backlight to remain on forever until I turn it off.

please assist and thank you,

tvos

holmanm
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvos View Post
someone help me here....

is this correct for creating a command line for backlight?

created a short-cut in the start-menu, then created a folder called bl where the .exe is stored.

all i want is that that backlight to remain on forever until I turn it off.

please assist and thank you,

tvos
What you have is correct, but not to do what you want.

will make the screen go full dim "1" on the first run of the shortcut. Then a little brighter "3" on the next run of the shortcut. Then Full brightness "9" on the next run. And the back to full dim "1" on the next run. And so on.

This is the same as going into "Settings", "Backlight", "Brightness" and sliding the sliders.

You want to go under "Settings", "Backlight", "Battery Power" and/or "External Power" and uncheck the "turn off backlight box". This program wont do this.
Mike H
"Sarcasm Merchant" and Troll

AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Stock 4.0.4 (Rooted)

Acer A500 Tablet
Stock 4.0.3 (Rooted)
tvos Old
Thanks Meter
thanx for the info.

the biggest problem i have noticed is that the dim light, no matter what comes on after ten seconds. now, i did play with the registry for a bit and almost came up with a solution.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Backlight\Locklevel
Set LockLevel = from 0 to 1
Then do a soft reset

also,

\HKCU\ControlPanel\Backlight\LockLevel
ACTimeout and BatteryTimeout.
change both keys to 3600

this actually does work after reboot.. as long i don't run any apps. after that, ten second dim light triggers.

i am using Rotohammer's rom and it's awesome. I was using Akadonna's but it was unstable, although didn't have problems with the backlight..

any ideas?

tvos

funem
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Thank you so much, exactly what I needed since my first windows mobile phone some years ago I have had a problem with seeing the screens in direct sunlight. I assigned this to my voice recorder button which I dont use, shame I cant use the button when the phone is locked though to see the unlock screen :(

... Thank you again anyway

Biges
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Now my "Start Menu" key has a much better use! 0 2 4 6 9
Thanks a lot!

kati42
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvos View Post
thanx for the info.

the biggest problem i have noticed is that the dim light, no matter what comes on after ten seconds. now, i did play with the registry for a bit and almost came up with a solution.
I think you can turn that off (or change the time) in the *Power* settings of your device. The screen goes dim to save power.

The Mike
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is there a way to change the shortcut icon for this?

I use homescreen plus plus with the taskbar at the bottom activated. This utility is perfect as I've added the shortcut for bl02.exe 2 8 to the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. The only problem is that it's an eyesore as the icon isn't customized....just a white block that's the generic shortcut icon. Is there a way to make it look like a tiny lightbulb? Oh, I should add that I'm using the htc-herald (wing). It seems to work but not perfectly... It only works when I use just 2 arguments.. ie: bl02.exe 2 8 .... But if I use more than that it ignores the others and always just will either go from lowest brightness to highest brightness... doesn't even matter what arguments I use.. 5 7 or anything close in increment makes no difference.... So i just figured, oh well, it works nicely even if just dimmest to brightest it's basically what I want out of it. Is this a known bug or since this was created for the kaiser nobody has tried using it on the wing?

pudifoot
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
The only problem is that it's an eyesore as the icon isn't customized....just a white block that's the generic shortcut icon. Is there a way to make it look like a tiny lightbulb?
As far as I know there are two ways you can add a custom icon:
  1. Add an icon to the executable file. If you have an .ico file ready you can use a software such as Resource Hacker to add the icon as a resource in the executable file.
  2. Add an icon to the shortcut (.lnk) file. You can either manually edit the shortcut file or use Shortcut Creator (at least I think so, I haven't tried it myself). You probably have to convert your icon into an icon library (.dll or .icl) first.
I used the first option which worked fine. The downside is that the executable more than tripled in size, but on the other hand the icon's there for every new BackLight shortcut I make.