Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][UPDATED Oct 9 2008] XChange R8 currency convertor

Tip us?

pedmond
Old
(Last edited by pedmond; 9th October 2008 at 05:03 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Default [APP][UPDATED Oct 9 2008] XChange R8 currency convertor

Hi guys,

I must admit that I didnít write software for a few years, and this is my first attempt after a long break Ė so please be gentleÖ

Xchange R8 is a simple currency convertor. You can choose 3 currencies to be displayed and for the time being you have two WebServices available: Bank of Romania (for my Romanian friends) and Bank of England (for my other friends). Bank of England currency are accessed via the Export Technologies WebService.

You need of course an Internet connection.

For Bank of Romania you can choose to see the currencies as they were at a certain date. Before you ask, chosing a date in the future will alas not work. The Export Technologies service does not have this function though, and when working with the Bank of England this choice will be unavailable.

The program remembers the last downloaded values for each service.

Please note that the Export Technologies service (for Bank of England) is slow Ė an update can take up to a minute. Thereís nothing I can do about that.

I wrote this program initially for myself, as I often needed to know the currency rates and this is much faster than navigating from the browser. Then I saw somebody on this forum asking about such a program. While Iím sure better solutions can be found, I had a lot of fun writing this. Besides, itís free!

Iím totally willing to add other WebServices to the list if you can provide me with their address.

Please note that I can only work on this during weekends: I have a company to run and it takes almost all my time.

Another note: .NET 3.5 framework is required.

UPDATE: v 1.1:
  • Added Bank of Hungary web service
  • Corrected a bug in the calendar: when first opened it always went to a day in July. Now it defaults to today.
Notes: Bank of Hungary does not update the service daily. Therefore, after you press Download, you may see a different date than today appearing at the top: this is the date of the last update. Furthermore, because of this, when you use the calendar to choose a date, you may get the message "No data available for the chosen date!". Simply choose another date. Hint: they don't update during weekends.

UPDATE 21/08/08 v 1.2
  • Added Invert function for those who prefer to see the exchange course mirrored. For example, if before you saw 1 GBP = 2 USD, after Invert you'll see 1 USD = 0.5 GBP.
  • Added calculator. For pic see next post.
UPDATE Oct 9 2008 v 2.0
  • You can now convert from EUR to USD and actually whatever you want from a list of 150 currencies. Choose Webservicex from Options -> Currencies.
  • Please note that this service is updating all the time, so values taken at a few minutes apart can vary slightly. This may actually be a good thing if you want to feel the pulse of the market in these stressed times.
  • One problem with Webservicex (affecting only Romanians as far as I can tell): it only contains the old currency (ROL) and it always returns zero. I don't see this as real trouble, as you can always use the Bank of Romania service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main screen.jpg
Views:	4400
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	106640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Currencies.jpg
Views:	2401
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	106641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Choose date.jpg
Views:	1704
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	106642  
Attached Files
File Type: cab Xchange R8.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (86.9 KB, 1923 views)
Remember the Thanks button if I've helped you...

pedmond
Old
(Last edited by pedmond; 20th August 2008 at 11:10 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Pic for the calculator:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calculator.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	107489  

tampiss
Old
Thanks Meter 6
looking gr8
would you add the CZK (www.cnb.cz) for Czech friends too? :)

http://www.cnb.cz/cs/financni_trhy/d...denni_kurz.jsp

tampiss

In case you would like to DONATE

current: Samsung Galaxy S2
previous: HTC Desire, HTC Hero, HTC Topaz (Diamond 2), HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Cruise, Asus P535, QTek 8310, Nokia ...

[widget] Text widget for your homescreen
[widget] Days widget for your homescreen

tnyynt
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Nice business app! Good work!
The Following User Says Thank You to tnyynt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

buciuman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Your romanian friends thank you!!

pedmond
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampiss View Post
looking gr8
would you add the CZK (www.cnb.cz) for Czech friends too? :)

http://www.cnb.cz/cs/financni_trhy/d...denni_kurz.jsp

tampiss
I definitely would. However, I need what is called a WebService, like http://www.exporttechnologies.com/we...vice.asmx?WSDL.

That is usually an XML file defining the access to the service. A site simply giving a list of currencies is not a web service.

I looked at the Czech National Bank site (the english version) and could not find any link to a service. Perhaps you can help me there?

tnyynt
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedmond View Post
I definitely would. However, I need what is called a WebService, like http://www.exporttechnologies.com/we...vice.asmx?WSDL.

That is usually an XML file defining the access to the service. A site simply giving a list of currencies is not a web service.

I looked at the Czech National Bank site (the english version) and could not find any link to a service. Perhaps you can help me there?
Magyar Nemzeti Bank aka National Bank of Hungary: http://www.mnb.hu/engine.aspx?page=mnbhu_webservice

pedmond
Old
(Last edited by pedmond; 17th August 2008 at 02:50 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnyynt View Post
Magyar Nemzeti Bank aka National Bank of Hungary: http://www.mnb.hu/engine.aspx?page=mnbhu_webservice
Got it. The description is at http://www.mnb.hu/arfolyamok.asmx?WSDL

I'll implement it as soon as I can. With a little bit of luck I'll have it tomorrow.

UPDATE: Done! Please look at the first post of this thread to download.

slogg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Very nice app

Is it also possible to add a swiss and japanese bank?

Thanks from switzerland :)

Kafro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Xe.com is the best currency exchange site.