5,605,373 Members 42,516 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP BOT] TTN7Bot & GPSBot: Possible solution to TomTom 7 and other GPS programs lag

Tip us?

beemerTPPC
Old
(Last edited by beemerTPPC; 14th September 2009 at 10:38 AM.) Reason: New version added
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [APP BOT] TTN7Bot & GPSBot: Possible solution to TomTom 7 and other GPS programs lag

I've written a small application that seems to solve the problem with TomTom navigator 7 that shows a position of several meters back from the real one.

Simply copy the file to the folder where TomTom_Navigator.exe (or TomTom Navigator.exe) is and launch this application instead the real TomTom.

The idea behind this file is that the lag is caused due to the full CPU usage of TomTom navigator that leaves few or even none CPU time to the GPS drivers. This bot launches TomTom and then reduces the TomTom process priority. The bot itself unloads from memory when TomTom exits.

I have tested it and seems that works Ok, but I want your opinions before making a good icon for it (icon designers wellcomed )

EDITED:
In order to make the program more general, I've created GPSBot that works in the same way but have a GPSBot.txt file with the name of the program to be launched between colons. As an example the zip contains a file with "TomTom_Navigator.exe". This version also needs to be copied to the same folder than the executable in order to allow to have several copies for different programs.

Download it from my page: http://beemer.sesma.eu/en/gpsbot.htm
beemer
Freeware software:
TMC on HTC FM Radio: Use your FM radio to avoid traffic jams!
http://beemer.sesma.eu : All my freeware like VolDpad, Battlogger, NullKeyboard, TodayWarrior, WifiKnife, etc. .

egg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

as I've seen the issue with TT7 and iGO8, i've now installed TT6 - but have not tested it yet.

Will this work with TT6? How is it operating?

Thanks!

beemerTPPC
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by egg View Post
Hi,

as I've seen the issue with TT7 and iGO8, i've now installed TT6 - but have not tested it yet.

Will this work with TT6? How is it operating?

Thanks!
Yes will work with any program file called "TomTom Navigator.exe" or "TomTom_Navigator.exe".
You can even rename (or make a copy) igo.exe for testing on it
beemer
Freeware software:
http://beemer.sesma.eu : All my freeware like VolDpad, Battlogger, NullKeyboard, TodayWarrior, WifiKnife, etc. .

darkbyte
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Will be posible to do the opposite and increase the cpu priority for the GPS drivers ???
I think that this will help ANY application that uses the GPS.
Only my 2 cents...

MiToNiOeS
Old
Thanks Meter 1
thanks,

i think that you can put a config file for to specify the exe file and we could use it for all programs

Jin187
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Tomtom 7 has Zero lag for me, its IGO8 that has the problem, Is it possible to create this file for IGO8 too?

private69
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello,

I will test this afternoon and i will write feeback after.

Thanks for your job.

@+++
HTC_TyTNII_FRA_1.56.406.5_22.45.88.07_1.27.12.17_S
And
TRINITY Muns ROM.

tabugman
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin187 View Post
Tomtom 7 has Zero lag for me, its IGO8 that has the problem, Is it possible to create this file for IGO8 too?
Try renaming the Igo.exe to TomTom_Navigator.exe and test the bot as he suggests. Might work... I'll try this later on

beemerTPPC
Old
Thanks Meter 8
If the idea works for most people, I can create a full configurable program, no problem.

It is not possible to do the opossite because the "drivers" are a lot of different code (GPS driver itself, GPS ID, virtual ports, etc.) and have the highest user priority. I tried some time ago with a simmilar issue with TTN5 to upgrade the priority of the virtual ports, etc. to system priorities and it didn't work.
beemer
Freeware software:

tabugman
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Tried renamong Igo.exe to TomTom_Navigator.exe and start the bot (placed in my IGO folder obviously). At first I get a debug window showing the path to my TomTom_Navigator.exe (really my Igo.exe) which I have to press OK on.

After this Igo launches and seems to work fine. I haven't been able to test whether the bot helps with the lag, but I'll try on my way home from work.

Provided it works on IGO aswell, it would be really great if we could get a version in which you can edit a config-file to point at the .exe of whatever gps app you happen to use.

Tags
gps, lag, tomtom