OP Monty Burns

31st August 2008, 10:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cold, Wet, Dirty and fantastic, London
Thanks Meter: 10

944 posts
More
Hi Guys

tried using co-pilot and TomTom today whilst on my motorbike but as soon as I turn the screen off the GPS turns off. Is there anyway to get the GPS to stay on with the screen off?

(I listen to the voice instructions)
31st August 2008, 10:54 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 93

2,226 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns

Hi Guys

tried using co-pilot and TomTom today whilst on my motorbike but as soon as I turn the screen off the GPS turns off and suspend most running applications. Is there anyway to get the GPS to stay on with the screen off?

(I listen to the voice instructions)

I believe you've suspended your device by pressing the power button, right? That will definately turns off the GPS. How about looking for a software which turn off the display, instead of suspending the device.

To see what I mean, try playing music in Windows Media Player and press the Power button, the device will stop playing because it is suspended. Try some other software like Pocker Player, the program actually intercept the power button and turn the display off, that is why the music is still playing when you press the power button.
31st August 2008, 11:18 AM   |  #3  
Flag Wales, UK
Thanks Meter: 6

176 posts
More
I dont know about how to set that in tomtom. but for your information iGO has the function of powersave for background light. it will only light when instructions are given.
this might be an idea although it is another navigation program.
31st August 2008, 11:29 AM   |  #4  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 3

90 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcovh

I dont know about how to set that in tomtom. but for your information iGO has the function of powersave for background light. it will only light when instructions are given.
this might be an idea although it is another navigation program.

I´m sure is worst for the battery to turn on and turn off the background light in every gps instruction!!. Any electronic device need more power to turn on the screen/light than to mantain it.

Tom Tom allows you to turn off the screen but not the sound, so you can follow sound instructions while the screen is off.
You can set it in Preferences > Safety Preferences
31st August 2008, 12:08 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

944 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by programatix

To see what I mean, try playing music in Windows Media Player and press the Power button, the device will stop playing because it is suspended. ...

Yup, i use WM but it does NOT suspend when I use the power button.

I might switch back to my external BT gps and then I can fit the uber fat (GPS blocking) battery that I have. I know this method worked fine on my Tosh G900 but its a bit slower locking.
31st August 2008, 12:10 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

43 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiKiŽ

I´m sure is worst for the battery to turn on and turn off the background light in every gps instruction!!. Any electronic device need more power to turn on the screen/light than to mantain it.

While it is true that the instant the screen is turned on more power is consumed, it has been scientifically proven that overall, you are still using less power than if you had the screen on constantly... but yes TomTom lets you turn the screen off when navigating so that'll do the trick
31st August 2008, 12:56 PM   |  #7  

15 posts
This might be a daft suggestion, but couldn't you just run a feed from the bikes battery to charge the diamond as you go and then set the power profile to dim the display and not suspend the device when on external power?

Most big bikes have cigarette lighter sockets now-a-days, and a power regulation circuit using a 7805 is easy to knock up (might not be 100% suitable though) if it doesn't.
--
Winfiddler
31st August 2008, 01:07 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

944 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by winfiddler

Most big bikes have cigarette lighter sockets now-a-days, ....

If it had a cigarette lighter I would be very upset! That might be an idea on an "old man" bike, mine however, is an RSV-R Bol'Dor, somewhat sportier than your average bike

I'll just go with using my 1800mah battery and the external bluetooth gps and use it like i did on my G900. At least this way, it should last a good few hours. Of course, I'll only do this when I am planning to use it, i've still got the internal and smaller battery for every day use.
31st August 2008, 03:51 PM   |  #9  

20 posts
sorry a bit off topic but where can i get TomTom or iGO?
31st August 2008, 05:00 PM   |  #10  

104 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiKiŽ

Tom Tom allows you to turn off the screen but not the sound, so you can follow sound instructions while the screen is off.
You can set it in Preferences > Safety Preferences

TT7 ? I don't see what you are talking about

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread