Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 52,097 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[UPDATED 28-04-2009] TorchButton v1.5, using camera LED for flashlight

Tip us?

Keland44
Old
Thanks Meter 18
have yall seen this before would be interesting if some of the features in this app could be added to TorchButton
http://www.artamata.com/pocketlight/

NLS
Old
Thanks Meter 37
well the only interesting idea is Morse code (but mostly useless idea - except if you have many friends reading Morse code)

the others are just stupid features or just marketing talk of something really simple
NLS
*** I WANT YOUR SERVICE initiative ***
My Blog

Devices: (many in the past, still in possesion the following) HTC Touch Pro 6.5.3 NRG, HTC HD2 (RULEZ) 6.5.3 Artemis, Samsung Galaxy Note (magic).

USE FORUM SEARCH! USE GOOGLE SEARCH!

Also: THIS guy is unbelievable! (in a bad way)

TomasNM
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Once upon a time,Vijay has an idea to use VJCandela code for sending SOS notification via LED using Morse code. Simple ...---... cyclicaly. Maybe that can be also useful feature(example:You have an accident in dark forest evening or in night,or to calling an incoming ambulance on the road in the night to find you quickly,or to stop someone on highway when needed...). Hope,this feature we will never need in praxis,but the idea is here.
Samsung Galaxy Note JellyBean
Touch Pro @ EnergyROM WM6.5
Himalaya WM6 @ 7.0b.40CS
Typhoon WM6.1,Hurricane WM2003SE,Oxygene WM5,Toshiba Portege G710 WM6
HTC Hero @ Elelinux 7.1 Gingerbread

Igoran
Old
Thanks Meter 15
As my opinion> the main feature is a working LED in sleep mode (with power button)! Then this future is done, Raphael finaly do the Light function.
I think SOS, morse or bicycle features is a addon? and this features may realaised by a author of a hTorch app: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=440405

TomasNM
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoran View Post
As my opinion> the main feature is a working LED in sleep mode (with power button)! Then this future is done, Raphael finaly do the Light function.
I think SOS, morse or bicycle features is a addon? and this features may realaised by a author of a hTorch app: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=440405
Yes,you're right. These features can be the add-ons. Just for me(my device setup) is the display-off thing not very important,because I have with AEBPlus mapped the Action button long press for display-off,so one more click will do that job. But is JUST my setup. Really,I don't want to make the developers busy with additional features,when they are preparing something different. These features can release anyone skilled in C++ or C#.
Samsung Galaxy Note JellyBean
Touch Pro @ EnergyROM WM6.5
Himalaya WM6 @ 7.0b.40CS
Typhoon WM6.1,Hurricane WM2003SE,Oxygene WM5,Toshiba Portege G710 WM6
HTC Hero @ Elelinux 7.1 Gingerbread

DeepThought
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoran View Post
I could implement both of the mentioned features into hTorch, thats right. And I probably will since others requested this as well. But I personally would like to see this blinking LED feature as a build-in function into TorchButton with a customizable interval which can be set via registry key. I'm by far not such a good programmer like NetRipper is and that would make my "job" a lot easier!

I also would love to see the "working LED in sleep mode" feature. But I'm afraid that's not possible. As far as I know the LED can only be controlled via some DLL which comes with the Camera software not directly. And this DLL has some hardcoded protection which disables the LED when the device goes into sleep.
So I'm afraid the only possibility would be to prevent the device from falling into standby and to just turn of the display. I'm currently working on this for the next version of hTorch.

@NetRipper, please correct me if I said something wrong!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
History: Wallaby > Himalaya > Blue Angel > Universal > Hermes > Palm Treo 750 > Kaiser > Raphael
My Apps: hTorch v3.2 | using camera LED as flashlight --> Last Updated: 2008-11-20

NetRipper
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
I could implement both of the mentioned features into hTorch, thats right. And I probably will since others requested this as well. But I personally would like to see this blinking LED feature as a build-in function into TorchButton with a customizable interval which can be set via registry key. I'm by far not such a good programmer like NetRipper is and that would make my "job" a lot easier!

I also would love to see the "working LED in sleep mode" feature. But I'm afraid that's not possible. As far as I know the LED can only be controlled via some DLL which comes with the Camera software not directly. And this DLL has some hardcoded protection which disables the LED when the device goes into sleep.
So I'm afraid the only possibility would be to prevent the device from falling into standby and to just turn of the display. I'm currently working on this for the next version of hTorch.

@NetRipper, please correct me if I said something wrong!
There is a way to enable the (nonbright) flashlight with low level memory access. But even then the light is turned off when entering standby. The reason is not the HTCCamera1.dll, but the HTC-specific code that is executed when entering standby. Enabling flashlight on low level has no additional value that way, which is why I'm not using it. I know this as I've used this approach to find out where it hung when I was getting Linux to work on the Raphael (display didn't work, but led could show me that it reached some part of the code).

Anyway, I will make a new release with the 'blink' feature. And I think it's not hard to put in SOS as well, so I'll do that too.

@DeepThought, you could use my C# library to easily control the light. I made it real easy that way.
░ Wizard ► Hermes ► Raphael ► Leo ░ My Tech BlogTwitterDonate
TorchButtonKeypadLedControlLeoExtendedNotificationsLeoCpuSpeedMsm7kCpuSpeed
░ Linux on Diamond/Raphael and Leo

del4
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default [FR] ScreenLight feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keland44 View Post
have yall seen this before would be interesting if some of the features in this app could be added to TorchButton
http://www.artamata.com/pocketlight/
About the only feature I'd like to see implemented from this app into TorchButton would be the following:

ScreenLight - by showing a bright white full-screen display and disabling the timeout for backlight, gives a softer light than the flashlight which can be great for reading at night.

I seem to recall someone asking if, in addition to the extra-bright option, it would be possible to have a less-bright option. I can see times where this would be a nice option to have as the default brightness is quite high and simply having a white full-brightness LCD would be more than sufficient. This could even be extended by including a slider to adjust the backlight so the user could set it to be as dim/bright as desired.

Thoughts?
Device History:
Palm: Palm m100->Palm m105->Handera 330
WM: Dell Axim X5->Dell Axim X30i->Dell Axim X50v->Sprint PPC6700->Sprint Mogul->Sprint Touch Pro
Android: Sprint Hero->Sprint EVO 4G->Sprint Evo 3D->Ting Galaxy S III->Ting Nexus 5

NetRipper
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by del4 View Post
About the only feature I'd like to see implemented from this app into TorchButton would be the following:

ScreenLight - by showing a bright white full-screen display and disabling the timeout for backlight, gives a softer light than the flashlight which can be great for reading at night.

I seem to recall someone asking if, in addition to the extra-bright option, it would be possible to have a less-bright option. I can see times where this would be a nice option to have as the default brightness is quite high and simply having a white full-brightness LCD would be more than sufficient. This could even be extended by including a slider to adjust the backlight so the user could set it to be as dim/bright as desired.

Thoughts?
This already exists in the Diamond forums, named Flashlight. That's their alternative, as they don't have a camera flashlight.
░ Wizard ► Hermes ► Raphael ► Leo ░ My Tech BlogTwitterDonate
TorchButtonKeypadLedControlLeoExtendedNotificationsLeoCpuSpeedMsm7kCpuSpeed
░ Linux on Diamond/Raphael and Leo

NLS
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Indeed this is an application related to the *** LED ***.
Let's keep it like that.

The only "interaction" with the screen I would like to see, is to turn backlight (or screen) off when LED is on, so that screen light does not interfere with my vision in the dark.
NLS
*** I WANT YOUR SERVICE initiative ***
My Blog

Devices: (many in the past, still in possesion the following) HTC Touch Pro 6.5.3 NRG, HTC HD2 (RULEZ) 6.5.3 Artemis, Samsung Galaxy Note (magic).

USE FORUM SEARCH! USE GOOGLE SEARCH!

Also: THIS guy is unbelievable! (in a bad way)