Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 43,929 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[4/2/2009] Polaris HebPack Project (READ THE UPDATE)

Tip us?

nir36
Old
Retired Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 290
actually, it doesn't really matter if it says it can't support hebrew, if you choose any skin it'll pop up a message which tells you Hebrew is not supported but then it'll show the letters anyways. and yeah, it has some alignement problems and it misses a patch letter or so, but it's really really good and comfortable.

nir36
Old
Retired Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 290
well, i install LENg, but when i load the rom it doesn't let me change anything so i can't disable the interface... what should i do?

InfX
Old
Thanks Meter 196
My personal experience with some of those programs on stock ROM (never tried any of those on any cooked ROM):

• LENg
    Fast, but seem to have some major problems. For example, it right-aligns every single line in every single document in pocket word, including English documents. The normal word alignment buttons won't work anymore. It does this in many other places as well, rendering many programs useless, or hardly usable. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • PDAC
    Works, but slow down the device A LOT. In some programs, such as Haali Reader, text rendering becomes unbearably slow. Slow to such an extent i actually prefer to drop PDAC and have a more responsive device instead of having the Hebrew support !!!
  • EYRON
    Tried to install it once (they got a one week trial), but never got it to work. Most probably, this is my fault, not Eyron's, but i never really tried hard, after reading other users claims of PDAC being faster than Eyron.
After all, the only places i really need Hebrew in are GPS map and the Opera browser. Both iGo8 and Opera got internal bidi support. I can live without the SMS/contacts/etc in Hebrew. It would be nice to have, but not at the cost of slowing or screwing the entire system down

nir36
Old
Retired Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 290
well all the sms's i get from the university and from friends are in hebrew, and iGO works fine in hebrew.. i don't really need hebrew in opera... and i don't mind about the contacts either.. SMS's are my problem

InfX
Old
Thanks Meter 196
You can still see the Hebrew letter in SMS without the bidi support, but yea, you don't have to tell me, reading Hebrew left to right isn't very convenient.

Anyway, there might be a possible solution for the SMS. All we need is an alternative SMS application with internal bidi support.

Currently i don't know about any, but just in case you find one, please let the other know, me included :)

Also, if you happen to know a worthy open source SMS app, adding minimal bidi support for it may not be as complicated as most may think.

bnm7bnm
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nir36 View Post
well, i install LENg, but when i load the rom it doesn't let me change anything so i can't disable the interface... what should i do?
What do you mean? first you flash rom then you install LENg.......

I did it so many times and every time it worked ok (exclude Syrus r0)
I saved the cab from the exe file so i don't have to enter the code every time its ready on my SD card,

so after HR i install it
then restart
then disable all settings in LENg
set regional setting to English - US
restart
delete registry in CLSID for the keyboard
delete registry "tegis" in hklm\software
restart
install resco
set resco default
install SIPchanger
restart
Thats it! i got hebrew with no annoying keyboard that pops up instead of other keyboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfX View Post
My personal experience with some of those programs on stock ROM (never tried any of those on any cooked ROM):

• LENg
    Fast, but seem to have some major problems. For example, it right-aligns every single line in every single document in pocket word, including English documents. The normal word alignment buttons won't work anymore. It does this in many other places as well, rendering many programs useless, or hardly usable. Thanks, but no thanks.
Didn't try the other two, but tried LENg on many roms and i would say that the alignment is LENg's ONLY problem (after disabling all options and disabling the keyboard)
Its not small problem but still its very usable and there is "pocket notepad" its text editor that not aligning anything it shows files normally but sometimes it writes "file too big to open..."
And as i see other reviews LENg is the fastest between the three.
If at least we could only read SMS and EMAILs so we could get along without any of them but this is so basic that we can't be without it...

InfX
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Realigning the haali reader to the right puts a big red X on leng for me.

nir36
Old
(Last edited by nir36; 16th September 2008 at 11:16 PM.)
Retired Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 290
Quote:
You can still see the Hebrew letter in SMS without the bidi support, but yea, you don't have to tell me, reading Hebrew left to right isn't very convenient.

Anyway, there might be a possible solution for the SMS. All we need is an alternative SMS application with internal bidi support.

Currently i don't know about any, but just in case you find one, please let the other know, me included :)

Also, if you happen to know a worthy open source SMS app, adding minimal bidi support for it may not be as complicated as most may think.
I will search for an sms app as you said... and no, i can't read SMS's from left to right .. i get lots of sms's and it's important for me to be able to respond fast.

Quote:
What do you mean? first you flash rom then you install LENg.......

I did it so many times and every time it worked ok (exclude Syrus r0)
I saved the cab from the exe file so i don't have to enter the code every time its ready on my SD card,

so after HR i install it
then restart
then disable all settings in LENg
set regional setting to English - US
restart
delete registry in CLSID for the keyboard
delete registry "tegis" in hklm\software
restart
install resco
set resco default
install SIPchanger
restart
Thats it! i got hebrew with no annoying keyboard that pops up instead of other keyboards.
i did this many times as well, and as i see now it DOES work on the R8 rom... and obviously not on Syrius R0... but it still causes a few problems there. i wouldn't want to put money into PDAC or Eyron considering they cost a few more dubloons than i would like to invest in this ****.

unfortunatly R8 doesn't contain 3D drivers.... but i guess that when udK's syrius is complete it will be adaptable.

thank you

nir36
Old
Retired Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 290
btw bnm, which radio are you using on R8 to have the camera work?

bnm7bnm
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Arrow Radio

I use Radio 1.64.08.21 (in my signature..)

For me LENg always worked in r8.
I noticed r8+OMNIA drivers works about same speed as Syrus and Syrus doesn't have 3D driver it has 2D drivers
I test 3D speed in Virtual Pool Mobile and in 3D mines, there you can clearly see if its smooth or not so i noticed r8+omnia driver work same speed as r0
And you can see in Manila 2D its same speed so i don't know what the "3D" drivers good for...

Tags
advantage, hebrew