Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Samsung Omnia i900 running iGO8 using Royaltek GPS TMC

OP Afsar.Imam@Gmail.com

20th September 2008, 09:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

26 posts
Hi Guys,

I am facing strange problem on newly bought Samsung Omnia i900 phone while running iGO8. When I use it with internal GPS it works well but when I try to change that to use external one it just quits! Strange, isn't it?

I want to use external GPS (which is Royaltek) because it give TMC information also on it. When I click on detect TMC it discovers Royaltek and then immediately iGO quits with no warning.

Anyone seen this problem before? Please suggest something, I bought omnia mainly for IGO8 and TMC combination.

iGO Version 8.0.0.41506 Jun 3 2008.
6th October 2008, 12:50 PM   |  #2  

3 posts
iGO8 and Samsung Omnia internal GPS
Hi,

I have a Samsung Omnia and I bought the iGO 8 today
I understand that the Omnia has an internal GPS that I can use?
I can't get the iGO 8 to detect the internal GPS
Anyone who can help me???

Thanks
13th October 2008, 01:17 AM   |  #3  
Dubai
Thanks Meter: 40

2,215 posts
More
I have Tilt 6.1
& have TeleNav on mt phone

if i get Omnia, will i have to install TeleNav Cab & use its servie
can i do that ?
13th October 2008, 06:30 AM   |  #4  

157 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffi76

Hi,

Thanks

Use GPS port 2 from the settings and then in Igo8 settings ALSO choose the same port with baud rate 4800. Then it will detect it.Might take 5 minutes to lock the first satellites but after that it works like a charm
14th November 2008, 03:37 PM   |  #5  

4 posts
It's out there
Look at the expansys site under Igo8.

There is a guy on there who uses Royaltek TMC receiver (probably more now) and I think he will help you
14th November 2008, 03:38 PM   |  #6  

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffi76

Hi,

Thanks

see my posting above
17th February 2009, 01:03 PM   |  #7  

65 posts
Connecting external GPS/TMC receiver
I have Omnia i900 and a Royaltek GPS/TMC (RTG1001) , also GNS GPS/TMC (GNS5843) . If you want to connect external GPS/TMS device to utilise the TMC information, where it is free, you need first to add or pair it with the Omnia (or other PDA/Smartphone). With mine (as I don't know if others are different) the internal GPS is on Com Port 3. Go to start, settings, External GPS. You will then see that the GPS program port is 3, my hardware tab is set to COM9, the access tab has the manage GPS automatically box ticked. OK.
Now go to Start, Settings, connections. Pick Bluetooth, add your gps device, after turning it on (ensure FM aerial is in, put it by a window ledge or sit outside so that you get some sort of feedback that you are receiving signal). You will be presented with all BT devices in range. Your Royaltek will be seen as BlueGPS******, single tap the device and tap next. Enter passcode as 0000 (GNS is nothing/enter or 0000). On the next screen tap advance and tick the Serial port box, then save. Now, still in the Settings & Bluetooth, go to COM Ports tab, select New Outgoing Port, Select your GPS device you just paired with (BlueGPS****** or GNS for example) then tap next, choose COM2 (if available) and untick secure, then finish.
Now after you start iGO8 (NavNgo8) go to gps settings, go to GPS and untick GPS enabled, then choose Port 2 and Baud rate 57600 (or auto, the faster you can get the better), now tick GPS Enabled. You should see the top of screen display GPS driver is successfully conneted. Good! Now untick GPS Enabled again. Tap back arrow. Select TMC. Select settings, select Protocol Royaltek (or GNS if you have theirs), Port 2 & Baud rate 57600. Tick Start Autodetect. You should, after a short time, see TMC Hardware Detected. Tap okay. Now tick Use Auto-tuner. You will see it scanning like a digital radio tuner (TMC part is now working).
note that if you do not get any coloured scan bar....take out the aerial plug & 'rough it up' a bit to make better connection, even with a little abrasive material.
Now back arrow and tap GPS you will see that it has enabled itself. Back out all the way. If you are in a country that broadcasts free TMC there will be the warning triangle appear (depending on signal and events on-route or all etc). TMC doesn't work in the UK for igo8 but it does for igo8R3 (that is...the the new R3maps)
This seemed to automatically turn on the GPS section too. So the trick is to establish TMC before GPS.
If I'm wrong or made error ....Sorry! Mine working fine in landscape & portrait, with the appropriate editing of the data.
Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 14th March 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread