Pinsy Brings Social Sketching To Your Watch & Phone

Did you watch Apple’s VP draw on his wrist during the Apple Watch announcement … more

CyanogenMod 12.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5

Android 5.1 is slowly putting its mark in the custom ROM world. CyanogenMod 12.1 is available to … more

Nexus Player 5.1 LMY47D Rooted

We recently featured the Nexus Player, Google’s second attempt at a digital media … more

Should You Get Wear? Wearer’s Practical Observations

Wear is said to not offer enough for mass adoption, even though its been in … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Touch Pro LCD quality control?

22nd September 2008, 03:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
457 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
What would you do if your Touch Pro LCD looked like this?





First things first: the LCD is still fully functional, no broken pixels or the "shattered LCD" bug in TF3d. The "distortion" does not appear under all lighting conditions --- it's actually impossible to see in areas with high contrast lighting (ie: lots of bright and dark areas such as daylight or most rooms), but becomes quite visible in flat/even lighting (like a bathroom or narrow hallway).

The distortion shifts in response to relatively heavy pressure, but always returns to the same "shape" as seen in the picture.

I am using the included screen protector, but I have removed it to confirm it is a problem with the LCD and not the protector.

I'm tempted to say that this has happened suddenly, but given that I've been using my TPro in anything but flat/even lighting conditions, I can't say for sure; I only happened to spot it by chance today. And just to be clear, I haven't dropped the unit, gotten it wet, or anything drastic like that. It's an expensive gadget! (And all the more reason something like this bugs me )


For reference, my unit is:
Model RAPH100
S/N HT833K...
22nd September 2008, 05:17 PM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
Have you been moving between warm and cold environments? I'm wondering if it's condensed moisture inside the cover. I'd keep it somewhere warm and dry overnight, see if it's different.
22nd September 2008, 05:21 PM   |  #3  
akash_nu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0
 
431 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
More
Lucky me, just had a quick look at my screen & its all good...
22nd September 2008, 05:58 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
373 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2005
that seams something between the lcd and the screen protector
22nd September 2008, 06:42 PM   |  #5  
Farsquidge's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Abu Dhabi
Thanks Meter: 11
 
1,053 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2006
More
That my friend is a result of high pressure damage. Its actually between the Touch sensitive layer and the LCD screen.

It could have been caused at anytime but is usually a result of carrying in a pocket, tight trousers or sitting down and compressing the phone, especially in a car seat.

It's something that many suffer from on many brands of touch screen phones but never really notice until screen touch sensitivity becomes erratic in certain screen areas.

Difficult one to prove it was from supplier or damaged by user so only way to RMA it (if you want to) is if you have had it less than a week.
22nd September 2008, 09:45 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
457 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham.hughes

Have you been moving between warm and cold environments? I'm wondering if it's condensed moisture inside the cover. I'd keep it somewhere warm and dry overnight, see if it's different.

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary. I had thought about condensation too, but nothing seems to indicate that it would be the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsquidge

That my friend is a result of high pressure damage. Its actually between the Touch sensitive layer and the LCD screen.

It could have been caused at anytime but is usually a result of carrying in a pocket, tight trousers or sitting down and compressing the phone, especially in a car seat.

It's something that many suffer from on many brands of touch screen phones but never really notice until screen touch sensitivity becomes erratic in certain screen areas.

Difficult one to prove it was from supplier or damaged by user so only way to RMA it (if you want to) is if you have had it less than a week.

I guess that's what I'm afraid of, although for the life of me I can't believe I would've put my TPro through high pressure damage. Sure I carry it in my pocket, but we're talking about loose-fitting jeans, and only the front pocket (I would never dream of pitting it in the back pocket).

Sadly I've had it for much longer than a week, so I suppose all I can do is hope that it doesn't get worse.
22nd September 2008, 11:34 PM   |  #7  
Banned
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 0
 
66 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsquidge

That my friend is a result of high pressure damage. Its actually between the Touch sensitive layer and the LCD screen.

It could have been caused at anytime but is usually a result of carrying in a pocket, tight trousers or sitting down and compressing the phone, especially in a car seat.

It's something that many suffer from on many brands of touch screen phones but never really notice until screen touch sensitivity becomes erratic in certain screen areas.

Difficult one to prove it was from supplier or damaged by user so only way to RMA it (if you want to) is if you have had it less than a week.

Nahh, know the most likely way of getting high pressure damage like that? Pushing too hard on the screen when applying the screen protector, trying to force all of the bubbles out. I've seen people use those little squeegees or a credit card or something, forcing down on the screen so hard and trying to move the bubbles to the outside... Usually it's dust under the screen protector that causes the bubbles, and a user on here gave me a tip to use double sided tape on the back of the screen protector where it's bubbling to remove the dirt/dust. Be careful when applying those, they can be a pain, but force won't help.
22nd September 2008, 11:35 PM   |  #8  
Banned
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 0
 
66 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
More
By the way, that's a kick ass picture, must be a nice camera or you're quite the photographer. Look closely at the distortion, not to try to make it seem worse but it looks really cool in the pic, I'm surprised you were able to catch that. Now, back to mourning...
23rd September 2008, 12:02 AM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2005
More
Looks like this is happening to people with the Diamond too:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=428262
23rd September 2008, 12:07 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
457 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr The Barbarian

Nahh, know the most likely way of getting high pressure damage like that? Pushing too hard on the screen when applying the screen protector, trying to force all of the bubbles out. I've seen people use those little squeegees or a credit card or something, forcing down on the screen so hard and trying to move the bubbles to the outside... Usually it's dust under the screen protector that causes the bubbles, and a user on here gave me a tip to use double sided tape on the back of the screen protector where it's bubbling to remove the dirt/dust. Be careful when applying those, they can be a pain, but force won't help.

Good point, although in my case I imagine it would have happened when I first got my TPro and applied the screen protector, and not a whole month later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr The Barbarian

By the way, that's a kick ass picture, must be a nice camera or you're quite the photographer. Look closely at the distortion, not to try to make it seem worse but it looks really cool in the pic, I'm surprised you were able to catch that. Now, back to mourning...

Both, though I wouldn't really call myself a pro photographer. But I do have a bit of an eye for detail, which is why this is bugging me.





Does anyone know specifically which component is causing the abberation? The LCD still seems to work just fine so I imagine it's just the touch-resistive layer, and if that's the case I might consider replacing it myself. I have no problems working with electronics -- the only real concern I have is breaking the VOID sticker. But I'm in no hurry, I'm just trying to see what options there are.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes