5,593,458 Members 36,514 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GSM Shift in USA

Tip us?

cal
Old
(Last edited by cal; 8th October 2008 at 05:34 PM.) Reason: Hookt on Fonics didn't werk on me.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default GSM Shift in USA

I just picked up my new shift from Dynamism.com and so far I love it. I had a tough time getting cell data service set up with out signing a contract so I thought I would share my experiences obtaining service w/o selling your soul for two years.

I think it is ridiculous to be required to sign a two year contract for a service without some sort of subsidized equipment. But, that's exactly what AT&T and T-Mobile will claim is necessary if you call their phone sales line. T-mobile will, however, be happy to set you up with a "pay us you go" plan and then add an unlimited data package for 19.99 a month with no contract. You will have to go to the store, but that's completely worth it. I found this out on my own, but it has been discussed in other boards and I haven't seen it here yet.

Apparently there is a similar trick that works on AT&T, which others might like better because T-Mobile's new 3g network isn't compatible with the Shift and you are stuck in EDGE. I will say however that T-Mobile's EDGE network on my shift has been much faster then AT&T's 3G service on my iphone. I also like T-Mobile's customer service better, although neither are great.

Cal

dazbert
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default AT&T option

You don't have to sign up for a contract with AT&T if you don't purchase a device when you get your SIM - I've done this several times (and in some cases killed the account after a few months with no penalty)

dave3211
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default GSM

I have pay as you go with att for data, cost $20 per 30 days. I live in Canada and travel to US every 6 weeks, the pay as you go is a good deal, get the $100 card, good for 365 days

Dave