Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,068 Members 48,318 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] use 614 number keys as a d-pad

Tip us?

Zoltair Wright
Old
(Last edited by Zoltair Wright; 23rd February 2009 at 01:08 AM.) Reason: new version
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [APP] use 614 number keys as a d-pad

(Original post here.)

EDIT: The program has been updated from version 1.0.0.1 to version 1.01. Changes include:

-Keys now follow the screen orientation, even when rotated.
-OK + red phone key = toggle radio (ie, turn phone on and off)
-OK + C = toggle bluetooth
-OK + Enter key = toggle wifi
-Windows + * key = toggle keyboard backlight
-Windows + # key = turn off screen (does NOT put device to sleep! wifi will still be on, programs will still run, etc.)

gudong over at PDAClan has just written a program that allows you to use the number pad on the 614 as a D-pad. It works like this: hold down the end call button for 1 second, and the red LED will light up to let you know it's working. When it's on, the number pad keys have the following functions:

1:Home 2: Up 3: Page up
4: Left 5: Enter 6: Right
7: End 8: Down 9: Page Down
0: Tab

To switch back, just hold down the end call key again.

Also, you can change the backlight by holding down the Windows key and a number:

win + 7: 1st level of screen brightness, with the keyboard backlight off. Good for using indoors in average lighting.
win + 8: 2nd level of screen brightness, also with keyboard backlight off. Good for bright rooms and outdoors.
win + 9: Brightest level (use when in direct sunlight)
win + 0: Lowest brightness level, keyboard backlight on. Good for dark rooms and nighttime.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip CZ612Key1.01.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.8 KB, 593 views)
Z1 Compact (amami)

Previously:
HTC M7 - HTC Ruby - HTC Glacier - HTC Dream - HTC Raphael - HP iPAQ 614c - HTC Prophet

sergiorus
Old
Thanks Meter 9
oh yeah! Nice application. I was trying to do something similar with Aebutton, but this is really great.

Found some bugs, softkeys are not working. Is it possible to fix it?

Zoltair Wright
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Really? My softkeys are working fine. You mean the physical softkey buttons, right?
Z1 Compact (amami)

Previously:
HTC M7 - HTC Ruby - HTC Glacier - HTC Dream - HTC Raphael - HP iPAQ 614c - HTC Prophet

sergiorus
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Oh man, uninstalled aebutton and now all correct
Thanks for the application ))
HP Ipaq 614c
Current ROM:WM 6.5.3 29017 Manila Edition v0.5

If you like my work, buy me a beer

thebranded
Old
(Last edited by thebranded; 13th October 2008 at 07:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
wow thats really good!

but one small thing, how do you close it completely? I've pressed the end call button, but i am still able to change brighness with Win+7, 8, 9, 0 keys. But the D pad function does not work.

edit: Anyway to change the keys? Tried this on a simple menu, and it all works but my "C" cancel key does not exit the menu so there is no way to cancel using the buttons. Could the "tab" (0) key be made into a cancel button?

kuchin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You don't really need any additional software if you only need up/down/left/right arrows, just swipe your finger from the center of the keypad to side (without pressing buttons, like you do with the wheel).
HP 614c

thebranded
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchin View Post
You don't really need any additional software if you only need up/down/left/right arrows, just swipe your finger from the center of the keypad to side (without pressing buttons, like you do with the wheel).
yes but what happens if you want to press left 10 times? with the above software you can press and hold "4" and it will do it, otherwise you'll need to do 10 swipes of the finger.

i find that when i do sms'es i often corrent mistakes like that, my finders to big to use the touch screen to put the cursor between two "i"s

also withthe software enabled you can use the "swipe" method as well as the "ring" plus the dpad options so now i use the ring to scoll to a selection then press the "5" button to make the selection instead of the akward return key.

thebranded
Old
Thanks Meter 4
great update!

having the option to turn BT/wifi/phone via hardware butted is great, i do have it already via touch screen buttons, but this saves me tapping the touch screen as often

Btw you need to post (not edit) that the files been updated (to bump this thread up) otherwise everyone will think theres no change and not both looking at the thread!

axlastro
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Thanks

Thanks. This is one of the most useful apps for the ipaq. It's the first one i install after hard reset. One idea - is it possible to make use of the other keys like the win and ok key and the softkeys. I'm not sure if it's possible but here it is: The softheys become delete and enter keys (like in old handsets) and we use the win, ok , C and ENTER keys on the keyboard. I'm not sure if it's a little too much , as this could mean modifying some of the dlls. Really - i don't know programming at all. Don't get me wrong I really like this program and realise that even having this is more than enough - use it very often and it's just great. It's just a suggestion, not a request. The purpose - maybe a half qwerty keyboard.

Grga001
Old
(Last edited by Grga001; 4th December 2008 at 02:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Great app

I have been looking for something similar for a long time!

Now I can run CoolCamera. Does anyone knows how to change video resolution to 640x480?

Lp Grga
Sold: HP iPAQ 514 WM6 Stn
Sold: HP iPAQ 614c WM6.1 Pro
Sold: HTC Touch DIAMOND Gen.Y WM6.1 Pro

HTC Touch HD2 (Leo)
ROM: XannyTechROM Evolution 2.2 (SYS 23569)
Radio: 2.10.50.26 HSPL: 1.42 by bepe and Cotulla

LG Optimus 2X (P990)
ROM: CM 7 Nightly 127
BASEBAND: Stock 725
CWM: 5.0.2.0
KERNEL: vorkKernel 20110802

Mobile TEST: