Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Compass Mode ??

OP theonlynickleft

22nd October 2008, 09:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Deltona, FL
Thanks Meter: 0

162 posts
More
Where is or how do you access what they were calling "compass mode" in the videos ?
22nd October 2008, 09:40 PM   |  #2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1,039

5,489 posts
Donate to Me
More
Should be in maps.
Under settings or menu, it should be one of the options.
22nd October 2008, 09:46 PM   |  #3  

93 posts
open maps.

click menu>>Map Mode>>Street View. It will need to process for a sec or two. You'll see the streets start lighting up with a light blue border. I think this indicates they have a street view picture for that street at that location.

Click somewhere on the map to get a Street View. Click on the street view balloon. Street View will load.

When it is done loading, hit menu>>Compass mode.

You can now move your phone around and the accelerometer will adjust the phone's view as if you were actually there.
22nd October 2008, 10:00 PM   |  #4  
Flag Norwalk, CT
Thanks Meter: 6

296 posts
More
Cool BEans!
22nd October 2008, 10:31 PM   |  #5  
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter: 345

2,477 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkzanyj

open maps.

click menu>>Map Mode>>Street View. It will need to process for a sec or two. You'll see the streets start lighting up with a light blue border. I think this indicates they have a street view picture for that street at that location.

Click somewhere on the map to get a Street View. Click on the street view balloon. Street View will load.

When it is done loading, hit menu>>Compass mode.

You can now move your phone around and the accelerometer will adjust the phone's view as if you were actually there.

Thank you for this much appreciated!
22nd October 2008, 10:36 PM   |  #6  
Flag Kansas
Thanks Meter: 135

516 posts
More
Compass mode would be cool... how is it on 3G? I don't have 3G here and it works great at home (WiFi) but on EDGE it seems to slow to be usable.
22nd October 2008, 10:55 PM   |  #7  
Flag Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 8

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagentooboy

Compass mode would be cool... how is it on 3G? I don't have 3G here and it works great at home (WiFi) but on EDGE it seems to slow to be usable.

It's as smooth as WiFi on 3G, at least it was when I tried it.
22nd October 2008, 10:58 PM   |  #8  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 55

287 posts
More
I have it a spin on 3G and edge over lunch today. 3G is really fast, takes a second or two to load the iamges. Edge takes about 10 seconds to load the images, but once loaded the spin around just fine when you move your phone.
23rd October 2008, 12:48 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Deltona, FL

162 posts
More
Never mind .. I found it. It is not called compass mode .. it is street view . . Great .. nice.
23rd October 2008, 04:24 AM   |  #10  

93 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlynickleft

Never mind .. I found it. It is not called compass mode .. it is street view . . Great .. nice.

There is a compass mode, you just have to be in street view first to have it work.

With just plain street view you have to use the touch screen or the trackball to move the view around.

But with compass mode....you just have to move the phone and the accelerometer knows which way you're facing, and adjusts the picture to match. Tilt the phone up, and you see the sky and tops of buildings, tilt it down, and you see the road.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread