5,814,720 Members 52,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Forced OTA upgrades *MAY* fail on factory 1GB SD

Tip us?

Darkrift
Old
(Last edited by Darkrift; 1st November 2008 at 09:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation Forced OTA upgrades *MAY* fail on factory 1GB SD

Lots of users in 3-5 different threads are running into problems where they get an error about unable to mount the SD card, causing the upgrade to fail. After lots of reading and searching I have found 5 users who get the same problem. All 5 are using the 1GB card that was included with their G1. 3 of them have tried different versions of fat16/fat32 and still failed. Those 3 have tried a different card and the upgrade worked.

Since there are a lot of threads about this upgrade and most are getting long, I thought I would make a new one with this warning. If you are using the default 1GB card, the update will most likely fail. This should not stop you from getting the automatic updates though because those are not saved on the SD card.

jriley60
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i did forced update with the card that came in my phone just fine : .x

dtmcnamara
Old
Thanks Meter 17
thats odd....i will pass the info on to others who are not able to upgrae. maybe some cards just dont work. who knows

Darkrift
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Some can, some cannot. I want to find more out about these cards. Maybe there are a few different versions of the card. Anyone who has tried it on the factory card, please post with whether it worked or not, and ANY info you can read from the card (brand, serial anything). so we can try to narrow this down more.

uberingram
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Mine worked on the stock card.

Edit: I would like to add however that a lot of us running RC29 this way are having issues connecting to data via 3G. It seems EDGE and WiFi connections remain unaffected. Upgrade at your own risk as nothing has been confirmed. Reports are starting to trickle into AndroidCommunity about this.

satru
Old
Thanks Meter 18
can try factory reset from recovery windows, maybe was installed some file or program that have acces to sd card file and give problem with the update from sd. it is only a idea . could be a lot of thing , the first one is the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrift View Post
Some can, some cannot. I want to find more out about these cards. Maybe there are a few different versions of the card. Anyone who has tried it on the factory card, please post with whether it worked or not, and ANY info you can read from the card (brand, serial anything). so we can try to narrow this down more.

xavier6303
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I did a forced upgrade but not with the card it came with. Once update was finished I did a hard reset and 3g data is working fine for me..

uberingram
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier6303 View Post
I did a forced upgrade but not with the card it came with. Once update was finished I did a hard reset and 3g data is working fine for me..
Keep an eye on it for us. I'm not entirely convinced it's an RC29 issue but I can't seem to narrow down what is actually going on.

Yos025
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberingram View Post
Keep an eye on it for us. I'm not entirely convinced it's an RC29 issue but I can't seem to narrow down what is actually going on.
I manually did the upgrade and I am using 3g only network and has worked fine all day... I will keep you post it if I encounter any problems...

jriley60
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default my sd card

sanDisk 1gb 082280342OC2EJ worked fine and as far as i know 3g is working. it was earlier at least. i get no service in my downstairs condo :/ so i'll confirm tomorrow