Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 53,788 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

This is how to make your phone ring for longer before voicemail

Tip us?

ice_coffee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default This is how to make your phone ring for longer before voicemail

Im sure most of you seasoned veterans know this, but for anyone new who is suffering from Vodaphone's paltry 15 second window to answer your phone before voicemail kicks in, this might be useful.

Start -> settings -> tap on the phone button -> tap on the services tab at the bottom -> choose Call forwarding / Call divert (dependant on rom) ->Tap on the big grey "get settings" button -> wait for it to obtain your current settings from the network -> change the relevant option "forward after XX seconds"

AFAIK the max is 30 seconds, so there is no point having a ringtone that is longer than 30 secs,

Anyway I hope this helps.

Black93300ZX
Old
Banned
Thanks Meter 6
Yeah, it's in 5 second increments from 5 to 30 on all phones I believe. Always a good thing to know.

ardsar
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_coffee View Post
Im sure most of you seasoned veterans know this, but for anyone new who is suffering from Vodaphone's paltry 15 second window to answer your phone before voicemail kicks in, this might be useful.

Start -> settings -> tap on the phone button -> tap on the services tab at the bottom -> choose Call forwarding / Call divert (dependant on rom) ->Tap on the big grey "get settings" button -> wait for it to obtain your current settings from the network -> change the relevant option "forward after XX seconds"

AFAIK the max is 30 seconds, so there is no point having a ringtone that is longer than 30 secs,

Anyway I hope this helps.
Just be aware that by doing this, you are overriding the network vodafone mail settings which automatically handles the call divert - not your phone. By making the changes described above, your phone will now divert the call and therefore you will be charged for the divert (minuites will be taken from your inclusive allowance if you have any.)

qtrim
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The option is not available on Sprint.

big3etr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I believe this small window can be attributed to the slot cycle index. That is the delay amount before the phone rings one caller has connected. you need the MSl to change it. It's under MODEM or CDMA settings under ##778#. This has been covered many times here and ppcgeeks...

ice_coffee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardsar View Post
Just be aware that by doing this, you are overriding the network vodafone mail settings which automatically handles the call divert - not your phone. By making the changes described above, your phone will now divert the call and therefore you will be charged for the divert (minutes will be taken from your inclusive allowance if you have any.)
Im not normally so direct in my statements, but im sorry you are talking complete and utter nonsense, the handset never handles call divert to voice mail, it is ALWAYS handled by the network, when you change it to 30 seconds you are signalling a change to the network, there is no additional cost incurred unless you live in one of those lame countries where telco's charge you for the time that your phone is ringing, in which case the person calling you will have a bigger bill.

lollonais
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the info. I did it on my ATT one. It works.

anonimo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by big3etr View Post
I believe this small window can be attributed to the slot cycle index. That is the delay amount before the phone rings one caller has connected. you need the MSl to change it. It's under MODEM or CDMA settings under ##778#. This has been covered many times here and ppcgeeks...
I suppose it's because I am from gsm-land and not cdma-land but I have no idea what you are talking about... besides the thread is about the time between the call being connected and its diversion to voicemail, not the time the phone needs to start ringing.

chandramuralis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is really helpful........... thanks!

The Jack of Clubs
Old
Thanks Meter 438
this gives me 10 extra seconds to answer the phone. thank you so much.