RC30 download link

OP JesusFreke

8th November 2008, 08:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 41

736 posts
Hot off the presses. Get it here.

That file is the crappy "patch" version that tries to patch you from RC29 to RC30.

Here is the full update, which should be much more reliable

Obviously, don't install it unless you want to lose root access

Update for those who are interested: I went ahead and bought myself a new G1. One of the stores in the area had a couple. It still had RC28 (not RC29) on it, so I'm back in business. I'll just unlock my RC30 one and sell it on ebay.
Last edited by JesusFreke; 9th November 2008 at 04:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JesusFreke For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2008, 08:42 AM   |  #2  
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter: 10

1,271 posts
More
OMG how stupid can they be... look what I see in the update script

Quote:

# delete unneeded files
delete SYSTEM:system/bin/telnetd

Can we patch this like today cause I kinda think there is more to this than just doing that.
8th November 2008, 08:46 AM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Dallas

736 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoobs

OMG how stupid can they be... look what I see in the update script

Can we patch this like today cause I kinda think there is more to this than just doing that.

There is. They added a kernel option "console=null", which I suspect basically makes it so that the physical keyboard no longer sends input to the console device. Note that there is still a root shell running on the console though.. it's just that now there isn't any way to send keypresses to that root shell.

Plus there are a ton of patches to the android apps and framework jars and such. Not sure what all changed there.

I'm in the process of modifying the patch, to apply to my phone without losing root access. More to come
8th November 2008, 08:51 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

46 posts
What does the "applypatch" piece do?
That part looks different.

Interesting that it's only a 4 meg update, and that it only contains a new recovery.img and a new boot.img - I wonder what is different in those images. I hope they are keeping the recovery stuff in the open source branch updated - because, well, that's the nice thing for them to to do

Jesus Freke - when you get your patched-up version ready, please post it somewhere for us lazy bastards who want to ride your coat-tails
Last edited by RyeBrye; 8th November 2008 at 09:07 AM.
8th November 2008, 09:11 AM   |  #5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Dallas

736 posts
I just noticed something. This update doesn't wipe the system partition. If you had created a setuid copy of the shell ("su", or whatever), I don't think it will get deleted if you applied the update as-is.
8th November 2008, 10:53 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

199 posts
More
but didn't you say it removes the use of keyboard in shell? If so we would still be up the creek. you know what a notice this update came really fast i never got and OTA until this(fishy) i had to force OTA. Well hope you work your magic JesusFreke.
8th November 2008, 11:23 AM   |  #7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Dallas

736 posts
Arg! dangit. I accidentally applied RC30 and lost my root access. I copied the wrong update file to my sdcard... grrrr!

So I'm out of the game. Sorry.

Oh, btw - I was wrong about the update keeping the setuid shell around. It completely wipes the permissions of the system folder, so if you did have a setuid copy of the shell, it will be set back to normal non-setuid status by the update. duh.
8th November 2008, 11:39 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 5

199 posts
More
Sh**!! You were the shining hope , one question can you still get root through the adb shell? cuz if so you can save your a**
8th November 2008, 11:41 AM   |  #9  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Dallas

736 posts
Nope. Like I said, I'm out of the game. Unless someone wants to trade me for a RC19/RC29 phone. Or until another root exploit is found. *sigh*
8th November 2008, 11:54 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 3

518 posts
DOH! That sucks! Sorry to hear that, and thanks for taking one for the team.

So if an update does try to install do we just need to turn off the phone until a solution is found? I may need to go back to my Dash for a while until this all gets figured out!

The update that you meant to put on the card- was it a test? If the worst that will happen is the update will take maybe someone that doesnt mind the update could test it for you?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread