I am not sure if this gonna help u but I hope so.
I had the same problem with hebrew and these are the steps I did in order to add hebrew support (only reading) on my G1.
1. Downloaded modifded RC30 that published here
2. Unpack it
3. Replace those files:
with other fonts (in my case I took Arial fonts which is also ttf files and rename them to the names I wrote to u)
* All fonts are under /system/fonts/
4. Zip again to update.zip
5. SignAPK with the android source tesk_keys
6. update my device via recovery mode
You have all the info here in the forum on how to install modified recovery image and how to install new update file, the only thing you have to do is replace the fonts like I told u.