It's a small program I wrote, because I find it useful to be able to translate From/To so many languages at any time and it's much easier to use on the mobile phone than the web-based version of Google Translate.
In order to run the program, .Net Compact Framework 3.5 has to be installed on the device. (you can download it from here)
Of course, you also need an active Internet Connection.
Currently, the following languages are supported by Google Translate:
- Chinese Simplified
- Chinese Traditional
Please note that the translations are not always very accurate, but if you have a text in a different language you don't know, it gives you a good idea about what it means in most of the cases.
A nice feature of Google Translate (also present in the application) is the Language Auto Detect feature: you have a text written in I don't know what language, I tell it to translate to English, for example, and it not only translates it, but also shows the language of the source text (try this by checking the Autodetect FROM Language check box).
A feature that right now is missing, but I'm planning to include in a future version is being allowed to save the favourite language pair, so when you open the program it will automatically select your favourite languages.
This program has been tested so far on HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro (VGA) and HTC P3600(Trinity) (QVGA).
Version 1.1 available at http://w0lfwmcoder.googlepages.com/translator
What's new in version 1.1:
- Fixed the "Autodetect" label bug
- Fixed character encoding bug (some characters caused the program to throw an exception)
- Moved the "Cancel" menu item over the "Translate" menu item when processing a request
- "Set Default Languages" - saves the current language combination and restores it when application starts
- "Configure Language Set" - if you only want to use 3 or 4 languages yo may select a subset of the languages supported by the application to be shown in the interface
- Copy/Paste feature
- CAB file for easier installation
Version 1.2 available at http://w0lfwmcoder.googlepages.com
What's new in version 1.2:
- Added the Turkish, Thai, Hungarian, Estonian, Albanian, Maltese, and Galician languages, because they are now supported by Google Translate. (see this link). Please note that to access these languages you may have to change your current language set (menu: Options -> Configure Language Set).