Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 47,276 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

root for dummies maybe?

Tip us?

smooththg69
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default root for dummies maybe?

Hello all I have a g1 and I'm still at rc19 and I'm feeling an update coming soon. But I don't know how to block it or telnet into the phone are there any dummie write ups for rooting and blocking updates or is anyone willing to make a step by step write up on it. I belive if some one did this it would help a lot of us that don't know linux thanks.

elcanela
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default updating the G1

I've installed rc29 through the SD card, but if what youre looking for is to upgrade to the "Modded RC30" which still has root, there's a nice step-by-step here.......

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443797

CleverJake37
Old
Thanks Meter 0
While its always great to see new people showing interest in linux and proper system structure, it should be noted that it IS full on possible to brick your phone with full root privileges, and not overly difficult to do so if you don't know what you're doing.
Be safe, and dont do anything brazen.
but most importatntly, buy insurance and have fun

smooththg69
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well looks like my feeling was right the update is waiting in my phone right now so I'm gonna have to try something when I get home later can I upgrade to the modded rc30 from the sd card?

Ryanmo5
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverJake37 View Post
While its always great to see new people showing interest in linux and proper system structure, it should be noted that it IS full on possible to brick your phone with full root privileges, and not overly difficult to do so if you don't know what you're doing.
Be safe, and dont do anything brazen.
but most importatntly, buy insurance and have fun
Well put!!!