Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 51,568 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[26.11.2008] WifiLocations v0.6 - Location based Wifi/BT/Ringer/user app's (de)activa

Tip us?

snempaa
Old
(Last edited by snempaa; 28th July 2009 at 08:27 PM.) Reason: Updated Version v0.6
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [26.11.2008] WifiLocations v0.6 - Location based Wifi/BT/Ringer/user app's (de)activa

Hello All,\

I've made a little program called WifiLocations. It does a lot more then you might think, currently:

Current Version : V0.6

- Specify locations (based on GSM/UMTS Cell-ID) where WiFi will be activated automatically (and turned off when you leave)
- Specify locations where Bluetooth will be activated automatically (and turned off when you leave) or the otherway around (for headset/carkit usage).
- Specify locations where your ringer should be turned off or to vibrate (and back to previous state when you leave)
- Run a user-specified program when in specified location (and the choice of killing it when you leave).
- Name the Cell's so it's a little less confusing.
- Autostart on reboot-option

You don't need GPS for this!
CDMA cells are not supported, if you have info on how to read the ID's contact me.
If you think something doesn't work right, please let me know in this thread!
If you want to request a feature, please ask here!

I produced this because I use my incoming voip number a lot when I'm on wifi and I didn't want to activate wifi everytime I walk into a wifi-location (hence the name!). You can add your current location or walk around for 60seconds in your house to add all used GSM/UMTS-cellsites. (You have to add them both if your in a low 3g-signal area)

Well if you like it, let me know or even donate I've always wanted to go to st. Petersburg and trying to pay for a ticket by developing free software
Click on it to see the real status, this is just an image! Thanks!

Not for commercial use...
Free to distribute as long as it includes a link to my donation page along with the download link and a link to these forum pages.

Known Errors:

-WiFi in standby mode isn't functioning correctly I think
-Current Cell in mainform isn't updated until you restart
-Killing the app by pressing 'X' doesn't remove the trayicon
Attached Files
File Type: cab WifiLocations_v0.1.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (255.1 KB, 1210 views)
File Type: cab WifiLocations_v0.2.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (258.7 KB, 387 views)
File Type: cab WifiLocations_v0.4.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (259.8 KB, 310 views)
File Type: cab WifiLocations_v0.5.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (260.3 KB, 481 views)
File Type: cab WifiLocations_v0.6.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (260.5 KB, 8930 views)

lepsyfou
Old
Thanks Meter 4
great tool thank you very much

snempaa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Let me know if it works for you and what you what doesn't especially since I don't have a change myself to test is on other that gms/umts networks....
HTC Touch Cruise | PDAviet WM6.5 CE OS 5.2.21502 WWE | 16GB SDHC

My contributions : WifiLocations - Location (cellid) based Wifi/bluetooth/ringer toggling, MijnZapper tv-streaming, BikeTrack GPS-tracker and ToggleAudio - Audio in sleep mode in WM6.1. Like any of these? Consider a donation!

idbl_fanatic
Old
(Last edited by idbl_fanatic; 21st November 2008 at 04:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 133
VERY NICE!!!

Just tried it, one thing, in the "walk around for 60 seconds" I did this, and it found another cell site, but it never added it.

Also, will it turn off the WIFI when out of range of the cell sites?

snempaa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I will take a look at the 'non-adding-after-60-s' error tonight. And it should disable wifi when you're outside the reach of the gsm/umts-cell.

My contributions : WifiLocations - Location (cellid) based Wifi/bluetooth/ringer toggling, MijnZapper tv-streaming, BikeTrack GPS-tracker and ToggleAudio - Audio in sleep mode in WM6.1. Like any of these? Consider a donation!

idbl_fanatic
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Actually it DID add it after I closed it down and re-started it, it now shows the other cell site.

snempaa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
thanks now I know what to fix when I get home! because the cell grabbing happens in another thread it can not directly change items on the gui thread! will fix this asap

boboduck
Old
(Last edited by boboduck; 21st November 2008 at 06:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Looks like a great utility.

Question : All it does is switch on the wifi? One still has to go through the login (for security enabled wifi) or other access means as defined at the particular hotspot ??

Btw, here is the site of a PC program that behaves more or less similarly. Perhaps useful for ideas ???

http://wifihopper.com/

Thanks

snempaa
Old
(Last edited by snempaa; 21st November 2008 at 07:01 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I think you're not getting the point of my application, it uses your Cell-position to activate your wifi. So you save battery and your voip protocol can be activated whenever you get to your home(or other)-cell... The wifi-profiles can be created through any wireless profile manager!

snempaa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by idbl_fanatic View Post
Actually it DID add it after I closed it down and re-started it, it now shows the other cell site.
This should be solved now...