Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,789 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Apps for the X1

Tip us?

scote
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Default SD Tune Up

I tried this out,
I installed http://s-k-tools.com/sktools/sktoolslite.zip (lite version is free) and ran a benchmark
scored 9481.48KB/sec read & 383.88KB/sec write
I installed tnyynt SD TuneUP.cab
soft reset and reran benchmark, initially it was slower, so I thought maybe I did not wait long enough after reboot for things to settle.
Re-ran a few times and it increased and settled at 16650.41KB/sec read & 477.65KB/sec write.
Quite a good improvement that will benefit things other than video playback
If anyone want to compare their results I have X1 UK generic f/w with a 16GB sandisk sdhc card (class 2 I think)

fards
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 754

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitelister View Post
Gotta ask, since I'm really not a big Magic App believer - what IS "tnyynt SD TuneUP.cab"? What does it actually do? How does one "Speed up your SD card 3 times"?

this is what it does

Code:
type="HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\SDHC">
<parm name="DmaTransferTimeoutConstant" value="12288" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="DmaTransferTimeoutFactor" value="8" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="HandleBusyFinishOnCommand38" value="1" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardReadWritePullupFlag" value="64" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardReadWritePullupMask" value="-65" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardReadWriteControlFlag" value="0" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardReadWriteControlMask" value="-3145729" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardReadWriteFlag" value="256" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardReadWriteMask" value="256" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardReadWriteGPIO" value="H" datatype="string" />
<parm name="CardDetectPullupFlag" value="32" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardDetectPullupMask" value="-33" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardDetectControlFlag" value="0" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardDetectControlMask" value="-3073" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardDetectFlag" value="0" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardDetectMask" value="32" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CardDetectGPIO" value="F" datatype="string" />
<parm name="CardDetect_Thread_Priority" value="152" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="PollingTimeout" value="256" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="SDIO_IST_Priority" value="151" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="SDIOIrq" value="30" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="DMA_IST_Priority" value="150" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="DMAIrq" value="36" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="DMAChannel" value="0" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="Prefix" value="SDH" datatype="string" />
<parm name="Order" value="33" datatype="integer" />
<characteristic type="HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS">
<parm name="CacheSize" value="4096" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="Flags" value="68" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="CacheDll" value="diskcache.dll" datatype="string" />
<parm name="Util" value="fatutil.dll" datatype="string" />
<parm name="EnableCache" value="1" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="Paging" value="1" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="Dll" value="fatfsd.dll" datatype="string" />
<parm name="FriendlyName" value="FAT FileSystem" datatype="string"

SamAsQ
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scote View Post
I tried this out,
I installed http://s-k-tools.com/sktools/sktoolslite.zip (lite version is free) and ran a benchmark
scored 9481.48KB/sec read & 383.88KB/sec write
I installed tnyynt SD TuneUP.cab
soft reset and reran benchmark, initially it was slower, so I thought maybe I did not wait long enough after reboot for things to settle.
Re-ran a few times and it increased and settled at 16650.41KB/sec read & 477.65KB/sec write.
Quite a good improvement that will benefit things other than video playback
If anyone want to compare their results I have X1 UK generic f/w with a 16GB sandisk sdhc card (class 2 I think)
I have not installed this and I still have stock UK Vodafone ROM cluttered with lots of useless software - I just ran SKToolsLite Benchmark and got 16340.43 KB/s Read, 435.23 KB/s Write on my class 2 8Gb Micro SD. I guess it depends on your rig and what you've done to it as to how fast it is, but I wont be installing this fix as I already got your max. I'd encourage evryone interested to run this benchmark and post scores without the fix, so we can get a rough idea of the range of speeds.

nap007
Old
Thanks Meter 15
i just did the bench and this is what i got with my class 4 8gb sandisk :
read 16605
write 800

curious, it's twice faster in write only? isn't it supposed to be twice faster in read also?

guap
Old
Thanks Meter 29
sd filesystem are poor. so, tyrning off some correction control or tweak an already non-reliable fs isn't a good idea imho
Devices: Xperia Ray, Huawei Mediapad, Xperia Sola, Xperia Z1 Compact.

scote
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap007 View Post
i just did the bench and this is what i got with my class 4 8gb sandisk :
read 16605
write 800

curious, it's twice faster in write only? isn't it supposed to be twice faster in read also?
Should we start a new thread for card speeds? dont want to hijack this "Best apps...."

well this may suggest that there is no point buying class 4 cards for this fone to increase read speeds IN the fone
looking like ~16MB/sec is the ceiling read wise.
I think write speeds are faster than the benchmark in mass storage mode attached to the computer though for my class 2 16GB.

Mark A Cilenti
Old
(Last edited by the-equinoxe; 18th January 2009 at 11:35 AM.) Reason: merging
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks scoot for the benchmark program ( see earlier post ) to test micro SD card speeds, the best results I got with the standard 4gb card after installing the SD Tune up program( see ealier reply) , were 722 write and 16424 read. I also experimented with changing the file system filter cache, configured through Advanced Config Tools ( see ealier reply), the results were startling.

file system cache: 8mb
file system filter cache:disabled
Glyph cache: 64 kb

results:
722 write speed
16424 read speed

file system cache:auto
filesystem filter cache:disabled
Glyph cache:64 kb

results:
707.75 write speed
2062 read speed

Thats 8 X slower read speed with file system cache set to auto, the settings I posted earlier seem to be optimum.

Also you can access some free official Sony Ericsson promo java software, by texting the words " X1" to 83333, works for UK o2 phones, not sure about other networks.

What Windows mobile is crying out for is for Microsoft to do a route and branch de bottle necking of there operating system, to improve all round performance, until then we have the genius's of xda developers.

PS - Senior members of xda developers please be gentle with us noobies, please remember what your parents said, it's good to eat your greens.

Every now and again you may feel the need to hard reset your X1, to restore manufacturers settings and programs, ie take it back to the very first time you turned it on, I do it regular.

It is easily done simply by using the " Clear Storage " program in your settings folder, ( please think before you do this, as all user data, programs and settings not stored on the memory card are erased )

So before you do this you need to check that you have everything you value, program cabs, documents etc either stored on the memory card in My Documents, or safely on your PC.

Also make sure you delete all system generated files on your memory card, ie the windows folder, programs folder, anything and everything the system stores on the card. Often there are hidden files that can only be viewed and deleted by clicking the setting " view all files" in File Explorer.

Allot of these hidden system files relate to video, audio files and some memory settings.

I negelected to properly purge and clean my memory card before a hard reset, and my X1 rebooted from the Rom reinstalled stock software and defualt settings, but its performancee was significantly reduced and crashed allot for no apparent reason. Hidden system files on the memory card caused software conflicts.

You can easily test the well being of your X1 by Clicking on the icon called " screen " in your settings folder. Then align your screen. If the + moves around the screen smoothly and fast then your X1 is well, if it stutters and lags then you have conflicts and it is probably old hidden system files on your memory card which are the likely culprit.

Now my X1 can be re-born again, and again and is lightning fast and sharp once again.

DOCIOHN
Old
(Last edited by DOCIOHN; 10th December 2008 at 10:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Default Test 8GB Class6 from Transcend

I tested my 8GB Class6 Card manufactured by Transcend:

Test without changes: Read: 2125kB/sec Write: 218kB/sec

Test with tnyynt SD TuneUP installed:
startet at Read: 16284 Write: 185
settled at Read: 16384 kb/sec Write: 224kb/sec

Test with settings to ( with Schaps_AdvancedConfig_v2.0.2.0 from "Mark A Cilenti")
File System Cache: 8mb
File system filter cache: disabled
Glyph cache: 64 kb

Read: 15673 kb/sec Write: 188kb/sec

So you can see changing the Sytem Cache from 4mB to 8mB and changing the Glyph cache from 32kn to 64 kb doesn't increase (my) card speed, it decrease it.

Further I can't understand how the class 2 card from "scote" can be faster as my class 6 card. What's going wrong???

Revenant36
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabe View Post
does anyone use this:
http://julien.schapman.free.fr/touch...ation-tool.php
does it work with x1? if it does it's probably on top of many lists.
Yup, I use it and it works great...

sitelister
Old
Thanks Meter 3
About card speed - I've seen various results when I ran the sktools benchmarks. I would recommend running it 3-4 times to get timings.