Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,165 Members 37,622 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia broken? red light under the ON button

Tip us?

renedis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Xperia broken? red light under the ON button

Guys, i think my xperia is broken

last night my battery was empty so no big deal i thought.
today i've connected it to the charger to charge and pressed the ON button.
when i pressed it, a red light under the ON button started burning.
i thought? wtf? mayby because it's emty or something.

but after more then 1 hour of charging it still doesn't do anything.. and now even the redlight doesn't show up!

does anyone know what to do?

SamAsQ
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by renedis View Post
Guys, i think my xperia is broken

last night my battery was empty so no big deal i thought.
today i've connected it to the charger to charge and pressed the ON button.
when i pressed it, a red light under the ON button started burning.
i thought? wtf? mayby because it's emty or something.

but after more then 1 hour of charging it still doesn't do anything.. and now even the redlight doesn't show up!

does anyone know what to do?
Hello dear friend, I sympathise with you I had this exact same problem and was worried sick for a day and a half that it was dead! the red light under the power button is the battery fail light (as far as i can tell) it goes on for example when you plug the charger in and remove the battery. I've found if you run the battery down to absolute minimum it almost seems like the X1 cant detect the battery any more and displays the red light. I fixed mine by removing and replacing the battery a few times and plugging it into the wall charger for a few hours. keep trying and dont lose heart, like I say it took me a day and a half (with a sleepless night inbetween

Darth Sith
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Also mine, but after five minutes it's wake up.
Try simply to remove battery, or performe a soft reset via hardware button with the stylus.

Wrekk
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Let you X1 charge for an hour or 2 and it will start up again, guess this is when the phone don't get a enough power to start up.

(Guess it can indicate some other error as well but probably just lack of juice in the battery .. )

renedis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
thanks guys..
it is still not working but i know that the phone it self is OK.
i wend back to the store and they switched the battery from another xperia.
it worked fine

i'm so happy right now. it's charging at the moment, but still not going on, well, i have to wait and see then.

again: thanks for the posts guys

Br0kk0
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mind you... it might take a while! I had it connected to a cheap usb charger for a night (which wasn't good enough obviously) and it took me the better part of a morning to get it to life again with the SE charger. I find it most irritating that this sort of thing isn' t mentioned in the manual. At least not where I could find it. Things like a phone that doesn't want to start make you sweat horribly.

sean0r
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have this problem with mine but still no luck

Been dead for weeks now.... Finding it hard to get a copy of the receipt too bah

Only had it a month too..

McGilljam
Old
(Last edited by McGilljam; 12th February 2009 at 07:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
It's prolly one cell in the battery that are "broken".

Had that on my X1. There are 3 cells in the battery and if one of them doesn't work as it should, the battery only delivers 3-3.1 volt.

Your phone "wakes up" at 3.335 volt but dies at 3.1. I've been measure it myself.

My phone are now back in business with a new battery, a new batterycover and latest software. No problem if you have guarantee...

PS... Try to avoid one thing. Avoid heat in battery. Lithium hates heat.

Fr@
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGilljam View Post
It's prolly one cell in the battery that are "broken".
Had that on my X1. There are 3 cells in the battery and if one of them doesn't work as it should, the battery only delivers 3-3.1 volt.
Your phone "wakes up" at 3.335 volt but dies at 3.1. I've been measure it myself.
My phone are now back in business with a new battery, a new batterycover and latest software. No problem if you have guarantee...
PS... Try to avoid one thing. Avoid heat in battery. Lithium hates heat.
You are right, man.
Usually, if you discharge a battery till the very last drop, it can happen that:
A) one of the cell goes beyond its safety level, and it "breaks". That's unrecoverable, AFAIK.
B) the cells gets unbalanced, and you nedd several charge/discharge cycles to get them balanced and fully recovered.

Add to this that Usb charging is usually unable to wake up an almost totally drained battery. This won't happen with a normal charger, but Usb charging voltage is lower than normal (of course, it's usb not home plug!) so it has not enough power to wake up the dead battery. If you leave your device in charge for some minutes, it will eventually manage to wake the battery.

However, I noticed that the X1 has a bad power management. Usually my X1 low level battery threshold varies between 10% and 5%. One week ago, at 10% it just shut down and won't recharge, showing me the red light over power button. Removed battery 3/4 times and charged with home charger, it gets recovered. Try to plug the charger, remove the battery and insert it again, doing all this with the charger always plugged.

In my opinion, that's really annoying, I never know when it *really* has a low battery!
Device: Xperia Sola MT27i
Bootloader: Unlocked CWM
Rom: JB Project XV-R v2.4.2™ - Awesome ROM

Chaosstorm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@ Fr@

B) the cells gets unbalanced, and you nedd several charge/discharge cycles to get them balanced and fully recovered.

yeah.. i had that with my P990i (symbian uiq3) phone the batter went in 1 day to 50% now it still has 80%