I also spoke with Infernix about my corruption issues. But just to put it "out there", I have occassionally seen some files get corrupted when I copy them to the sd card. I've seen it happen both when the sdcard is mounted via USB, and also when using adb push. So I've gotten in the habit of doing an md5sum of an update before I try to apply it.
I've noticed that USB is practically unusable if I have my BT dongle plugged into my computer near the USB cable, for example if I have them both plugged into the front of the computer. But I have my BT dongle plugged into the back of the computer, and the G1 into the front, it seems to work decent.
Another problematic setup I noticed was if I tried to use a USB extension cord (maybe 3-4, not like a super long one), I seemed to have significantly more USB issues as well.
So I'm guessing the cord is picking up EM interference and causing bits to be corrupted.
I can think of a number of possible workarounds to the issue:
- Modify adb and the adb daemon so that it will detect corrupted "packets" and re-transmit.
- Host whatever files you want to put on your G1 on a webserver with the extension .xxx and download them via the browser instead.
- use some sort of "secure copy" program to copy the files to the sdcard when mounted via usb. There is more than likely something like that out there that would work, I just don't know of anything off the top of my head.
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"
Android Developer Phone 1 - JFv1.51 - REPRESENT!