This comes from an HTC Blog with users trying to solve the problem, i'll paste just the comments:
hi, this link for download http://serre.f.free.fr/mobile/pocketpc_WLM.exe
for my work fine.
The link above fixed my problem by checking my version and doing a upgrade.
This fixed it for me too. The file is actually an "official" Microsoft signed installer. Not knowing the website, I was a bit hesitant to install it but after running it, I found it was from Microsoft.
Thank you (Obrigado), I had been trying to download a fix from the htc home page with out luck. Your link worked perfectly well.
another alternative this comes directly from HTC site faq section... note that from all their faqs, there is a top ten faqs, and this stuff regarding messenger is at the top of the list of the top ten faq for HTC, this let you all understand how the problem is big and common (for those who use messenger for business).
When I use Windows Live Messenger, I cannot see any friends online.
First of all, please make sure that the clock's Home setting is correctly set to the date and time of your area. Then, make the Visiting area's date and time setting the same as the Home setting. When you are online in Windows Live Messenger, do the following: 1. Tap Menu > Change appearance. 2. Tap Menu > Account options. 3. Tap Switch account and login again."
Last there is another update file that comes directly from microsoft support center
Other people says that you have to delete all your contacts on the phone, storing them online on the sim, and then you have to switch your messenger account and reconnect.
Well. I have the same issue. I discovered that problem is related to a conflict with another application I had installed; GoodLink service.
this comes directly from a microsoft email for a user who asked how to solve the problem:
A. Re-synchronize your account.
You may need to reset your Windows Live account on your Windows Mobile-powered device by signing out and signing in again. To sign out, please refer to these instructions:
1. On your mobile device, tap "Start" and then select "Windows Live."
2. Tap "Menu" and then "Account Options."
3. Tap "Switch account."
4. You will be prompted to confirm account switching as this action will sign you out of Windows Live, preventing you from seeing your e-mail inbox. Tap "Yes" to continue.
To sign back in and re-synchronize your account:
1. Tap "Start" and then select "Windows Live."
3. Tap "Sign in to Windows Live."
5. Enter your MSN or Hotmail e-mail address and its corresponding password.
6. Tap "Next."
7. Choose if you wish to have the Live Search bar or Windows Live services on your device's "Today" screen and tap "Next."
8. Choose if you wish to sync either Contacts and Messenger contact or e-mail (or both) with your mobile device then tap "Next" to continue.
9. Wait as your mobile device syncs with your Windows Live account. Tap "Done" when sync is complete.
10. Open Windows Live and check if you are now able to synchronize your account.
B. Verify the size and amount of folders in the inbox.
Please check if the contents are not too large. You may try to delete or archive some of your e-mails and see if this resolves the problem. Due to the carrier, signal strength and mailbox size, there appears to be a limitation.
C. Set up a new Windows Live account and try to reproduce the issue.
We would like to determine whether you are unable to synchronize Hotmail folders due to specific folder structure or contents by attempting synchronization again with empty or unaltered folders.
D. Install a hotfix.
You may also try fixing the problem by installing a hotfix found in this page:
The hotfix is originally intended for Windows Live Messenger (for Windows Mobile 6) contacts issues but there have been customers who were able to resolve Hotmail synchronization problems by installing the hotfix in their Windows Mobile devices.
E. Empty or re-arrange the contents of the inbox.
Try to remove all items from the inbox, delete them or place them in a folder that does not synchronize and try again. If other folders are enabled for synchronization, you will need to do the same with those folders as well or else disable synchronization for all folders except the inbox.
The steps above should help you fix this problem. If the issue persists, we want to continue assisting you until this is resolved. In order to investigate this further, please reply with the following information:
- What is the complete name and version of your mobile device?
- Do you have a Windows Mobile 6 or Windows Mobile 5 OS (Operating System) on your phone?
- Who is your carrier and where are you located?
- What is the MSN or Hotmail account that is experiencing this contacts issue?
- Does the same thing happen if you sign in to a different Hotmail account?
- What is the exact version of the Windows Live application on your device?
To get the version of your Windows Live application, please do the following:
1. On a Windows Mobile device, tap on "Start", and then select "Windows Live."
2. Once the Windows Live application opens, tap on the "Menu" (found at the bottom-right side) and the select "About."
You will be prompted with information similar to this:
Windows Live for Windows Mobile
We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Mobile.
For some other people worked just installing vaio's link to 1400 wlm bild in this thread:
This is a solution posted by attakorn on xda