Originally Posted by nanohaxor
I've confirmed using the PC that the ROM nbh file at the root of Internal Storage is named exactly: DIAMIMG.nbh
It is also the only file contained in Internal Storage.
Then I reset the device (VolDown + BackArrow + RedReset).
The resulting screen sequence is the same as described in post #23 above. That is, it still shows the Message:
No Image File..
I don't understand why the device can't see the DIAMIMG.nbh file because it is definitely there.
Do I need to use the Unsigned HardSPL 1.93? If yes, then can someone please tell me exactly where can I find the intaller for is? ie. which file links do I need to use.
Well I've finally successfully installed the Hutchison 3 ROM. Thanks to everyone that helped with answers to all my noobie questions!!!
FWIW, in case there is anyone here wanting to update an unlocked Telstra branded phone with the Hutchison 3 ROM mentioned in this thread, here's the general process I went through that worked successfully... eventually.
(tip: read through all these steps first if you are going to do this because you don't want to do steps 1, 2 & 3.)
1. I installed the unsigned developer edition of HardSPL 'SPL-1.40.Olinex'.
2. I attemped to install the standard Hutchison 3 ROM installation from the PC and received the 'ERROR ' from the ROM Update Utility. That is, it did not work.
3. I then tried copying the 'DIAMIMG.nbh' to the root of Internal Storage and resetting the device (VolDown + BackArrow + RedReset), and this resulted in the SPL not being able to find the DIAMIMG.nbh file. That is, it did not work.
4. I reverted back to a stock signed SPL 1.93 using the SSPL (ie. SoftSPL ROM Update Utility) using the process explained on this site to install this. I did this because I learned that all HardSPL versions have an inbuilt and required feature called 'overwrite protection' which can only be bypassed using the SSPL (ie. SoftSPL ROM Update Utility). I found this 'SPL-1.93' made a big improvement in the overall response of the phones user interface. Good news so far, and it's not a brick!
5. I installed the unsigned developer edition of HardSPL which shows up in the tri-color screen as 'SPL-1.93.Olinex'. It installed OK, and still no brick!
6. I then used the Hutchison 3 ROM file 'DIAMIMG.nbh' that I'd copied previously to the root of Internal Storage, and reset the device (VolDown + BackArrow + RedReset), and this time the image file was found OK!!! I pressed the confirmation on the phone screen and the phone loaded the ROM over about 10 minutes, at the end of which the message “Update Complete – UPDATE SUCCESS” is shown on the screen. I then pressed the 'RedReset' button on the phone to reboot. The phone came up with the new Hutchison 3 ROM beautifully. It all worked!!
So what did I learn:
a. Don't use HardSPL 1.40 (SPL-1.40.Olinex), but instead I'd suggest using HardSPL 1.93 (SPL-1.93.Olinex). I found that you can then install the Hutchison 3 ROM using the 'DIAMIMG.nbh' method.
b. This site and the wiki is an great resource with many people clearly very interested in customising these phones. This is fantastic.
c. Installing these SPL's and ROM with the potential that you'll have a nice looking, expensive, and totally useless brick at the end of it is scary. So read, read, read, and make sure you understand what you are doing _before_ you do it. Ask questions if you are not sure. The forums have lots of great information, but it is heavily scattered across hundreds of posts. The Wiki has well summarised information, and really helps to understand key concepts.
Thanks again and enjoy!!