Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,248 Members 39,321 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[12/25] nueGPSSecurity 1.2

Tip us?

no2chem
Old
(Last edited by no2chem; 26th December 2008 at 07:32 AM.) Reason: updated
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Default [12/25] nueGPSSecurity 1.2

nueGPSSecurity - basically an anti-theft thing I'm sure many of you have seen/used before. The difference of course is that nueGPSSecurity is much more lightweight (~17kb) and you'll probably forget that its installed...

12/17 - updated to version 1.1
12/17 - updated to version 1.11 critical update!!! please download (see http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pos...al-update.aspx)
12/25 - updated to 1.2

To talk to the service, send a text message:
!nuegps<pin> <action>
where pin is your pin number, and action is one of these action verbs:
version: display version number
getpos: text back next position fix (auto-start gps)
quickpos : gets your position and turns gps off after
getlink: gets a link to google maps with the position of the phone
quicklink: gets a link to google maps with the position of the phone, turns gps off after.
alarm: turns on an alarm and takes phone off silent/vibrate
alarmoff: turns the alarm off
track: tracks your phone’s current position and uploads the position online.
stoptrack: stops uploading your position online.

Track uses a google maps+street view interface to display a visual of your phone location. You’ll need to be a donator to take advantage of the feature (again, due to server cost issues) and generate a token for your phone using the donator control panel (If you have an old token, you’ll have to generate a new one because this feature requires the new phone field). Once you’ve done that – login here: http://www.nuerom.com/nuedonate/gpslocator.aspx and select your phone to view its location. Note that the application currently only records the last 5 minutes of your location and only records if you’ve donated at least 5$.

help: display this help message
start: start gps monitor
stop: stop gps monitor

update details: http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pos...rity-v112.aspx
original post http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pos...SSecurity.aspx

aRnonymous
Old
Thanks Meter 0
that's pretty cool.
looks very simple and leightweight.

i will check it out.
one questiong though, if i send an sms and the phone is inside will it wait until it has a good gps fix and only then send a message?

aguas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
any thoughts about having it send a google maps .kml file via email to a predesignated email address?
No2Chem's 2.47 Bootloader
Radio 3.42.50
DCD's 3.2.6 ROM

imfloflo
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 798

DONATE TO ME
Nice soft small but very usefull
Nexus 5 (CM11 Euroskank)
XDA-developers Senior Moderator - Twitter.com ImFloFlo

no2chem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguas View Post
any thoughts about having it send a google maps .kml file via email to a predesignated email address?
yeah, that sounds like a good idea... shouldn't take too long to implement =)

no2chem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
ok updated, no KML yet, but google maps link is there.

kunz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is it possible to add a feature where it will detect if a new/different sim card is put into the phone?

For example, we can have a set registry entry myphone="12345678" - upon startup, if the nuegps service finds out if the entry in the registry is not the same as the number of the simcard, it will automatically initiate a quickpos/getpos and send an SMS to myphone, = "12345678".

This can be useful if the phone is stolen and the thief puts in a new simcard.

An extension to the above idea would be to have another registry entry "emergencycontact" = "99999999" (basically your spouse/gf/friends number) where the SMS gets sent to instead of "phone".

no2chem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunz View Post
Is it possible to add a feature where it will detect if a new/different sim card is put into the phone?

For example, we can have a set registry entry myphone="12345678" - upon startup, if the nuegps service finds out if the entry in the registry is not the same as the number of the simcard, it will automatically initiate a quickpos/getpos and send an SMS to myphone, = "12345678".

This can be useful if the phone is stolen and the thief puts in a new simcard.

An extension to the above idea would be to have another registry entry "emergencycontact" = "99999999" (basically your spouse/gf/friends number) where the SMS gets sent to instead of "phone".
yeah, im thinking of how to implement that; i come from the cdma world where it is not really a big deal (since we have no sim card) , here is the problem:

the code is only launched when there is an incoming message (this is why the memory footprint is so small) to detect when the sim is removed, the code needs to be running at all times (or maybe just at startup). I'm thinking the solution is to make a lightweight service for this purpose.

anyway, i have your suggestion now i'll see what i can do =)

no2chem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
A slightly embarrassing error: Version 1.1 of nueGPSSecurity has a bug when you send “getlink” that causes it to send lots of text messages (basically whenever your position changes…)
This is fixed in version 1.11. Sorry for any problems it might have caused.

http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pos...al-update.aspx

jhw549
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've been waiting for a nice lightweight program like this for quite a while, all of the other ones eat up resources like that's part of their function...
Thanks no2chem, another great program ^_^