Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,156 Members 47,164 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LINUX BOOTS at OPAL! Thanks to linwizard project!

Tip us?

MusikMonk
Old
(Last edited by MusikMonk; 8th September 2009 at 07:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel7.cz View Post
Installing and booting ... Ok.
Android and apps are running smoothly.
GSM, WiFi, BT, Batery not working.
It looks realy great but not usefull at this point.
TouchScreen is moved little bit.
Good work ! Looking forward for some news.
First of all, thanks for the feedback.

GSM should, to a certain extent, work. On my phone I was able to make calls (mic works, so the other side can hear you but you wont hear them), receive and send SMS. Incoming calls are disconnected directly but show up in the log.
And as I wasn't able to set up my APN, I was unable to test GPRS.
And yeah, touchscreen calibration is a little bit off. I'll see if I can get this fixed tomorrow. Can you tell me what problems did you have?
And by the way, if your SIM is locked, you'll need to unlock it from WM first. Although Android can accept the pin and unlock the SIM, it'll have trouble connecting to network afterwards.

Development is probably going to be slow, it seems that there's only raditzgds and me working on the Opal. And, although I have been lucky with some stuff so far, I lack the experience and knowledge for this project. I'm still learning as I go. Plus, at the moment, our progress won't go beyond what wing-linux are achieving, and that project is also suffering from lack of developers.

phatboijp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default good work musikmonk!!!!

thanks musikmonk!! ive been keeping tabs on this for the past few weeks, wow! you're the only reason why i think i might be keeping my viva hahahaha!!! please keep up the good work, we owe you a lot! i wish i could help!!!! but i don't know any programming , i'll be learning soon tho ...but not going to be in your level anytime soon! how long do you think it will take till wifi starts working hahhahaha!!!

angel7.cz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default :)

Ok i need to unlock my sim thak you Well i have some knowlage of programing in c++, but realy don't know what should i do to help you with development (where to start). So maybe i can help you little bit. Sorry for my english

XirXes
Old
Thanks Meter 182

DONATE TO ME
I tried it out today and I had some different results than others. First, my touch screen seemed pretty accurate, tho I didn't use the stylus. Second, I was able to make an outgoing call.
HTC One
S-Off

MusikMonk
Old
Thanks Meter 259
Sorry for disappearing for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XirXes View Post
I tried it out today and I had some different results than others. First, my touch screen seemed pretty accurate, tho I didn't use the stylus. Second, I was able to make an outgoing call.
Yes, making outgoing calls is something you should be able to. I'm not sure if we should be able to receive calls or not. It's not like it'll be of any use without sound, but I'll check with the wing-linux guys to get this out of the way.
Using stylus you'll notice that calibration is a little off, but that's no longer an issue. The touchscreen can now be calibrated on first boot.

Here's the Opal's status in the project:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/win...x/wiki/HTCOpal
The question marks should read "Not working", I'll ask someone to update it later.

I've submitted some patches to wing-linux so they can add some support for our device. The next build (0.4pre4) should be out soon, when it is, it'll have cabs for the Opal making things easier.

Besides touchscreen calibration, not much has changed. This build of wing-linux is mainly done to include new devices.
Once it's out, I'll probably make a fresh new thread to be able to keep things updated and tidied up.

I'm currently working on getting bluetooth to work, can't tell when/if I'll get it right. raditzgds seems to have disappeared, so I don't know if he had better luck than me or if he's still going in the same direction.

And about sound and wifi, it'll probably be a while. I'm not helping with the development for those, so I don't know the exact details. Developers from wing-linux and linwizard are working on it.

jagan2
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 170

DONATE TO ME
Default Thanks

Thank u bro i left the idea of android os just then today i read ur post in which u gave default.txt boot script for opal plus ur image file i did according to ur instructions and succeeded although i had to uninstall and reinstall the cab two times. Now about the rom its excellent its speed is really awesome but bro when enabling and disabling something for example airplane mode its too much slow. Plus its not searching any network i wanted to use interent but no network searching even for calling someone just just now installed will tell if i get some problems.

And yes ur awesome developer.

Bro one more request can u port the latest wm 6.5 build 23047 to opal through ervius kitchen if u need help porting i will do actually me net slow so i cant download the kitchen and port further my exams are going on will u plz i request?

MusikMonk
Old
Thanks Meter 259
You're giving me too much credit here
I'm only trying to get the Opal supported by making small changes to what the developers of wing-linux and linwizard already did.

Is you SIM locked by any chance? If it is, you'll need to unlock it from windows before booting android. Even though Android can accept the PIN code and unlock the SIM, it'll have trouble connecting to network after that.

For speed, I really can't help there. I'm only working on kernel level support (i.e. drivers and the like), actual Android development is being done by darkstar62.
Still, speed might be slightly improved in the future, I think that the processor is running at 195mhz, it might be possible to run it at 201mhz in a next version (not THE next version). But don't take my word for granted.

And about my last post, I checked with darkstar62 about incoming calls, it's a know bug. Should be fixed in the next version.

By the way, someone made a small tut for installing apps on Android, it requires using a linux distro on the pc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwk25mBHYsw
It can be done in other ways as well such as scp (copy over ssh).
I haven't tried it myself, and I haven't even searched for a place to download applications from.

And please, everyone keep in mind that this is a work in progress. It's still far from being a complete replacement for WM.

For WM6.5, I haven't tried cooking roms before. So far I've been avoiding 6.5 because I don't want to deal with it bugs. I might give it a look if I find that I have the time. I can't promise anything.

bttoxic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thanks!!!!

MusikMonk
Old
Thanks Meter 259
The new development release (0.4pre4) from wing-linux is out. You can download it from their site here:
http://wing-linux.sf.net/
The download link is on the right.

The zip, that you'll find there, has multiple cabs. You'll only need to install two of them: rootfs and opal.

Please refer to these links for more informations:
FAQ: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/wing-linux/wiki/FAQ
Device Status: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/win...x/wiki/HTCOpal
Main features of new release: http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/wi...c.php?f=3&t=30

jagan2
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 170

DONATE TO ME
Default Thanks

Thanks bro for the quick reply i didnt expected that so was offline yesterday.
Now i gave so much credit to u because until wing linux 0.4pre3 they have not given opal board support so i was unable to boot android on opal after using ur image and opal boot script i successfully installed opal.

Thanks for informing about wing linux 0.4pre4.

Now bro i experimented little and found this:
Actually first i inserted airtel sim(india) i donno what it is i mean i think its gsm only but not worked.
Then i inserted reliance gsm sim it worked. And about the speed problem i was saying that android is much much faster then wm but when switching something like switch from cellular mode to airplane mode it takes long times never finished i had to soft reset and also android dont shutdowns everytime i have to soft rest.
Now about the gprs it completely dont works i tested the android emulator on pc and found that in apn menu automatically there a connection would appear but in the mob in apn section nothing appears plus no option to add new connection
And one more thing due to lack of keypad on htc opal we are unable to specify the android installing size i mean it by default installs 250 mb due to this iam unable to access storage card. and one more thing how to explore storage card in android.

When the boot starts screen looks awesome because i have never seen pc like boot on mobile

And about wm 6.5 rom i didnt say to cook a room but porting. Porting means copying the xip and sis file of rom of some other device like daimond to opal rom its basically rom upgrading a thread is there in opal rom development that is ervius visual kitchen. U dont have to cook something just follow the steps and a new rom will be created actually my net is too slow to download the kitchen so i was requesting u anyways will try to download the kitchen if u have time then plz say i will guid u through remote support then a new Chief for opal will be born and that is u.

Once again thanks for the reply hope will reply this one too