Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 46,652 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tutorial] How to back up your ROM - A comprehensive guide.

Tip us?

Angelusz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayyhem84 View Post
thank You very much for the reply! and making my wonders clear actually I did read the first post couple of times, and even after your reply and reading it again I can not get the answer from it..
maybe it is too soon to go for ROM experiments for me... ? probably yes. so till now I will just stick to update the ROM - when I will learn more about kitchen and other stuff then will return to experiments

thank You again for making those wonders clear!! i can now update without any doubts of loosing my ROM! thanks again!

and really BIG, BIG appreciate for that thread! U are great! perfect work!
Thanks for the kind words. You're welcome.
"There is no good, nor bad - only perspective, and opinion."

Past:
- Sony Xperia X1 (WM6.5)
- HTC HD2 (CM Android 4.0)
Present:
- ASUS Padfone + Station & Keyboard (Stock Android 4.1)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro
- Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

l337h1um
Old
(Last edited by l337h1um; 8th July 2009 at 07:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
A file in the kitchen zip called "PKGTool.exe" is flagged by Sophos AntiVirus as being infected with Mal/Generic-A. I assume this is a generic behaviour-based detection... What exactly does the file do? Does anyone know where it comes from?

Angelusz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by l337h1um View Post
A file in the kitchen zip called "PKGTool.exe" is flagged by Sophos AntiVirus as being infected with Mal/Generic-A. I assume this is a generic behaviour-based detection... What exactly does the file do? Does anyone know where it comes from?
Virusscanners occasionally flag developer files as being "infected". The reason for this is simple. The code was written by third party programmers and in some ways resemble things that viruses do. Virusscanners search for specific patterns in files.

I can assure you that all these tools are 100% safe - courtesy of XDA.
"There is no good, nor bad - only perspective, and opinion."

Past:
- Sony Xperia X1 (WM6.5)
- HTC HD2 (CM Android 4.0)
Present:
- ASUS Padfone + Station & Keyboard (Stock Android 4.1)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro
- Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

l337h1um
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelusz View Post
Virusscanners occasionally flag developer files as being "infected". The reason for this is simple. The code was written by third party programmers and in some ways resemble things that viruses do. Virusscanners search for specific patterns in files.

I can assure you that all these tools are 100% safe - courtesy of XDA.
Well yes I know, but I was asking what the file does I was just being careful - hence why I'm a systems administrator. Doesn't matter though, they said it was a false positive and are releasing an update for it.

holdout
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have a few Partxx.raw files from a long time ago and I don't know which ROM it's a dump of. It was a custom ROM. I think one of itje's TouchX ROMs....

I tried rebuilding the raw files with an extracted stock .NBH but it won't flash. The SPL hangs on "Loading..." when trying the MicroSD method.

So how can I peer into the .raw files and browse around or somehow make it flash?

lu2_manche
Old
Thanks Meter 0
CMIIW..

this is useful when u wanna change ur ccoked ROM on ur xperia to original ROM, for warranty purpose isn't it??

djcedric
Old
Thanks Meter 114

DONATE TO ME
is this method possible to work on HD with HD kitchen?
ive seen its possible to hold the installed programs but if i have do many changes in manila(with MaxTTM),can i hold this to?
first is this only for stock roms or can i remake my energyrom completly changed?

thanks.

satishkbg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question Backup TD2 Stock ROM

Hi

I'm trying to back up my TOPAZ stock ROM 1.43.720.1 (51718) WWE using xdatools and KovskyKitchen. The KovskyKitchen requires a stock ROM's .nbh file to be in the Baserom folder. The one I could find here in xda forum for TOPAZ is older ver i.e. RUU_Topaz_HTC_WWE_1.39.405.2_Radio_Signed_Topaz_61 .20t.25.10_3.43.25.19_Ship.

My question is, suppose I use this in KovskyKitchen along with my stock ROM's *.raw files which was generated by xdatools, does it package with my stock rom or the older one? i.e. how to ensure it creates a nbh file with the latest ROM ver?

And by the way, why is it required to have a backed-up rom in the Baserom folder, while we're actually trying to create one ourselves, does KovskyKitchen use any of this contents while backing up our stock rom?

Regards
- SKBG

nojoedoe
Old
(Last edited by nojoedoe; 17th August 2009 at 07:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hey do any of you guys get buildos.exe in kovskykitchen.zip coming up as a virus ?
I am using Avast antivirus and it flagged it as a trojan before the download was even complete.

Is this a case of false positive?

smnrock
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Is there any way i can take backup of my current ROM with applications installed(similar to taking image using norton ghost in PCs), so that i can restore easily without need to reinstall everything? Its very useful for me to go back to older ROM, if i find the current(cooked) ROM is not suitable.