Post Reply

Disable Screen like a Blackbery

31st December 2008, 11:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
I have a Blackberry which I use for work and I've had my HTC Touch HD for a couple of weeks. One of the things I really like about the Blackberry is the way the screen turns off when you slide it into the pouch and the way it comes back on when you slide it out. It strikes me that it would be great if the HD could mimic that - a lot less fiddling around when you are using it on the move. I guess that the Blackberry uses some kind of light sensor to achieve this. Has anyone come across an app that would do the same thing for HD?
31st December 2008, 11:16 AM   |  #2  
umexed's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nicosia
Thanks Meter: 0
 
225 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaelle

I have a Blackberry which I use for work and I've had my HTC Touch HD for a couple of weeks. One of the things I really like about the Blackberry is the way the screen turns off when you slide it into the pouch and the way it comes back on when you slide it out. It strikes me that it would be great if the HD could mimic that - a lot less fiddling around when you are using it on the move. I guess that the Blackberry uses some kind of light sensor to achieve this. Has anyone come across an app that would do the same thing for HD?

interesting indeed.. but what if its night time? if we use the light sensor to turn off the screen then when its pitch black the device will be off instead of on..

im getting my hd back today hopefully.. im willing to give it go
31st December 2008, 11:23 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
Red face
Brilliant. I don't know how the BB does it, it seems to work day or night. I can't really think of too many instances when it's pitch black but i suppose you can resort to pushing the buttons then.

One of the reasons I'd like it to operate like this is because I really like the slide in/out cases rather than a flip case and this would make it sooooo much easier.
31st December 2008, 11:26 AM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
I have a feeling the BlackBerry uses a reed (magnetic) switch (or alternative), as oppposed to an LDR (light sensor) to switch the screen on and off, triggered by a magnetic strip on the case, rather than darkness, which would be more 'reliable' I guess.
31st December 2008, 11:26 AM   |  #5  
umexed's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nicosia
Thanks Meter: 0
 
225 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaelle

Brilliant. I don't know how the BB does it, it seems to work day or night. I can't really think of too many instances when it's pitch black but i suppose you can resort to pushing the buttons then.

One of the reasons I'd like it to operate like this is because I really like the slide in/out cases rather than a flip case and this would make it sooooo much easier.

well.. we could try.. but an extra process that will run all the time will add battery drain.. anyways we will see
31st December 2008, 11:27 AM   |  #6  
zoomee's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hudds
Thanks Meter: 19
 
419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2007
More
hey guys,

The blackberries don't use the light sensor to achieve this. They have a magnetic strip built into the case which causes the two metal connectors on the back of the blackberry to 'activate' hence then switching the screen off.
31st December 2008, 11:27 AM   |  #7  
umexed's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nicosia
Thanks Meter: 0
 
225 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGmuN

I have a feeling the BlackBerry uses a reed (magnetic) switch (or alternative), as oppposed to an LDR (light sensor) to switch the screen on and off, triggered by a magnetic strip on the case, rather than darkness, which would be more 'reliable' I guess.

can someone google the blackberry device specifications and confirm how it does that?
31st December 2008, 11:28 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGmuN

I have a feeling the BlackBerry uses a reed (magnetic) switch (or alternative), as oppposed to an LDR (light sensor) to switch the screen on and off, triggered by a magnetic strip on the case, rather than darkness, which would be more 'reliable' I guess.

Actually - I think you are right - just tried the BB in my HD pouch and it doesn't turn off/on :(

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes