Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Disable Screen like a Blackbery

OP yaelle

31st December 2008, 12:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
I have a Blackberry which I use for work and I've had my HTC Touch HD for a couple of weeks. One of the things I really like about the Blackberry is the way the screen turns off when you slide it into the pouch and the way it comes back on when you slide it out. It strikes me that it would be great if the HD could mimic that - a lot less fiddling around when you are using it on the move. I guess that the Blackberry uses some kind of light sensor to achieve this. Has anyone come across an app that would do the same thing for HD?
31st December 2008, 12:16 PM   |  #2  
Flag Nicosia

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaelle

I have a Blackberry which I use for work and I've had my HTC Touch HD for a couple of weeks. One of the things I really like about the Blackberry is the way the screen turns off when you slide it into the pouch and the way it comes back on when you slide it out. It strikes me that it would be great if the HD could mimic that - a lot less fiddling around when you are using it on the move. I guess that the Blackberry uses some kind of light sensor to achieve this. Has anyone come across an app that would do the same thing for HD?

interesting indeed.. but what if its night time? if we use the light sensor to turn off the screen then when its pitch black the device will be off instead of on..

im getting my hd back today hopefully.. im willing to give it go
31st December 2008, 12:23 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Red face
Brilliant. I don't know how the BB does it, it seems to work day or night. I can't really think of too many instances when it's pitch black but i suppose you can resort to pushing the buttons then.

One of the reasons I'd like it to operate like this is because I really like the slide in/out cases rather than a flip case and this would make it sooooo much easier.
31st December 2008, 12:26 PM   |  #4  

4 posts
I have a feeling the BlackBerry uses a reed (magnetic) switch (or alternative), as oppposed to an LDR (light sensor) to switch the screen on and off, triggered by a magnetic strip on the case, rather than darkness, which would be more 'reliable' I guess.
31st December 2008, 12:26 PM   |  #5  
Flag Nicosia

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaelle

Brilliant. I don't know how the BB does it, it seems to work day or night. I can't really think of too many instances when it's pitch black but i suppose you can resort to pushing the buttons then.

One of the reasons I'd like it to operate like this is because I really like the slide in/out cases rather than a flip case and this would make it sooooo much easier.

well.. we could try.. but an extra process that will run all the time will add battery drain.. anyways we will see
31st December 2008, 12:27 PM   |  #6  
Flag Hudds
Thanks Meter: 19

421 posts
More
hey guys,

The blackberries don't use the light sensor to achieve this. They have a magnetic strip built into the case which causes the two metal connectors on the back of the blackberry to 'activate' hence then switching the screen off.
31st December 2008, 12:27 PM   |  #7  
Flag Nicosia

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGmuN

I have a feeling the BlackBerry uses a reed (magnetic) switch (or alternative), as oppposed to an LDR (light sensor) to switch the screen on and off, triggered by a magnetic strip on the case, rather than darkness, which would be more 'reliable' I guess.

can someone google the blackberry device specifications and confirm how it does that?
31st December 2008, 12:28 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGmuN

Actually - I think you are right - just tried the BB in my HD pouch and it doesn't turn off/on :(

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread