Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,878 Members 37,389 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Simpler instructions for installing modified recovery image

Tip us?

JJC1138
Old
(Last edited by JJC1138; 3rd January 2009 at 10:09 PM.) Reason: Clarified a little bit.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post Simpler instructions for installing modified recovery image

Here are some instructions for installing JesusFreke's modified recovery image. You have to install the modified recovery image before you can install modified firmwares. These instructions are simpler than the existing ones because they don't require the use of adb or telnet.

Firstly, you need to already have firmware version RC29 or RC7. To check which version you have go to "Settings" and then "About phone". At the bottom you will see a "Build number" which will include "RC" and then a number. If you have RC30 or RC8 then you need to downgrade. THAT WILL WIPE ALL THE DATA/APPLICATIONS ON YOUR PHONE. Instructions for downgrading are here.

Now that you have RC29/RC7:
  1. Download 'AndroidMod.zip' from one of the links in JesusFreke's post
  2. Extract 'recovery_testkeys.img' from that zip and copy it to your SD card.
  3. Download 'install.zip' which is attached to this post below.
  4. Extract 'install' from that zip and copy it to your SD card.
  5. Put the SD card in the phone or disconnect the phone if it is attached by USB.
  6. Reboot the phone (switch it off and then on again).
  7. When it has finished booting type the following at the home screen. It will start searching your contacts, but don't worry about that. Also, you won't see any visible sign that the first command worked. Just go ahead and type the second command straight afterwards:

cd sdcard<press enter>
    sh install<press enter>

After a moment your phone should reboot itself. To check that the flashing worked, switch off the phone and then hold down the home key while you switch it on again. Keep the home key held down until you see the recovery screen (with the "!" triangle and the picture of the phone). Then press Alt+L on the keyboard and if you see "Using test keys" on the second line of text then the modified recovery image is installed and you can now install a modified firmware.
Attached Files
File Type: zip install.zip - [Click for QR Code] (221 Bytes, 3247 views)

philje123
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Cool! Thanks for that... much simpler... anyone else tried this yet?

I'm going to attempt all this later.

Phil

flak0
Old
Thanks Meter 484

DONATE TO ME
i just tried it and it works. confirmed.

samysam05
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking great for beginners!

Hey tried it and it works!! Now how about one on restoring data after backup.

qtronix
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thanks for this just tryed it and worked first time.

gottifour
Old
Thanks Meter 9
First off thanks for all information here. Am I correct that after I downgrade to rc29 I then follow the instructions in this thread and then I can install jf 1.3 rc30. Or do I have this all wrong?
korndub Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottifour View Post
First off thanks for all information here. Am I correct that after I downgrade to rc29 I then follow the instructions in this thread and then I can install jf 1.3 rc30. Or do I have this all wrong?
you are correct. once you have the modded recovery image, you can use jfs update zips.

gottifour
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by korndub View Post
you are correct. once you have the modded recovery image, you can use jfs update zips.
Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I will attempt this real soon. Do you have any suggestions before I begin? After I modify the firmware I will not get ota updates anymore right? Lets say the cupcake update, or any other for that matter, does come out. I would just have to wait untill a smarter person then me converts it to a new modified image to flash to my phone? Is that right? Thanks for any help. I'm sure this is probably the worng place to ask all of these questions. d

bhang
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottifour View Post
Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I will attempt this real soon. Do you have any suggestions before I begin? After I modify the firmware I will not get ota updates anymore right? Lets say the cupcake update, or any other for that matter, does come out. I would just have to wait untill a smarter person then me converts it to a new modified image to flash to my phone? Is that right? Thanks for any help. I'm sure this is probably the worng place to ask all of these questions. d
in one of the zips from JF is an app that will REsign any update.zip, so when an ota comes you just have to wait for the update.zip to show up then you could REsign it with the dev keys, pretty easy, but it will probably show up pretty fast now that almost every G1 is probably running that keyset.

bhang
http://www.geocities.com/sarabhanga/bhang.html
1 mtg3 stock
1 Moto Cliq rooted, pimped (bought opening day also)
2xHTC - DREAM - G1(1bronze,1black)
black, bought 10.22.08 opening day in the us CM6
bronze, cyanogen[out of use]
mytouch slide, bought 1st day of soft-launch, rooted running slideme5r1...for now{brand new one in box on hold for a bit
G2 pimped, many mods, screen rez, battery morphed, pershoots latest, looking to go to CM7 soon

gottifour
Old
(Last edited by gottifour; 3rd January 2009 at 07:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
UPDATE..

Its working now...I wasn't doing it in the telnet client. I was just typing it in randomly and it didnt work that way for some reason.

Ok. I have downgraded to rc29 and copied the two images two my sd card. but I'm not sure if I even have root. When I try to change directory it doesnt happen. I have to have root by installing the modified rc29 right? I did type telnetd at the home screen and pushed enter. nothing happened. I know I'm missing something just not sure what yet? I did install the telnet client from the market as well. I'm not understanding something it appears. Anyone?

Tags
recovery image