[APP] Fusion GPS Fix 1.0.1.1 2009/03/13

Search This thread

NuShrike

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2007
So here's something to try to deal with the anemic GPS on the Raphael, and any other post-WM5 with slow GPS locking.

This app runs after install, and after soft-reset, and immediately starts up the GPS hardware through the WM5+ GPS API. It waits 5 minutes for a GPS lock, or it quits. A pop-up will tell you whether GPS lock was established or timed out before it quits.

The GPS polling is limited to every 5 seconds to try to conserve some CPU cycles. Currently does not use AGPS, but you can turn it on/off at your registry leisure.

This attempts to reduce the Time-To-First-Fix (TTFF) during which the GPS ephemeris almanac is slowly built up. This can take up to 12.5 minutes for a non-QuickGPS/AGPS accelerated device from a cold-start. By kick-starting immediately after soft-reset, subsequent GPS locks for the next ~6 days (without updating QuickGPS) should be much quicker.

Takes 23K of disk, and 1K of ram.

updates:
1.0.1.1: GPS power kept on until lock or timeout using CABuddy's GPS code framework; states lock time in seconds
1.0.0.5: added much belated icon to app and top-bar
1.0.0.4: switched from pop-up window to wifi notify-style pop-up (457)
1.0.0.3: fix multi-threading issues that caused popup notifications to fail
1.0.0.2: makes sure the app is disconnected from the GPS before the app exits

Attachments

• FusionGPSFix.1.0.0.5.CAB
    18.8 KB · Views: 427
  • FusionGPSFix.1.0.1.1.CAB
    18.9 KB · Views: 617
Last edited by a moderator:

crazyC

Jul 25, 2006
Gravesend
Will get my raphael tomorrow (O2 Serra) and have heard of and been concerned at the various GPS issues - could you explain this app a bit more ?

Many thanks

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area
so compared to launching say GPS test every morning this would save battery life since its not constantly trying to lock? Sounds like a better alternative...

NuShrike

Sep 18, 2007
Will get my raphael tomorrow (O2 Serra) and have heard of and been concerned at the various GPS issues - could you explain this app a bit more ?
Raphael, or just the FUZE, has much weaker GPS reception compared to my Kaiser, and will take a lot longer to lock to the GPS signal. FusionGPSFix acts like a GPS app and basically does an automatic cold-start of the GPS after soft-reset which many people have been doing manually.

When the GPS data from the WM5+ GPSAPI says the quality of the GPS signal is GPS or DGPS, then that's when all other GPS apps will get an instant lock.

So FusionGPSFix then quits out, and that's it until next soft-reset, or manual run.

norkoastal: yes, but I'm not sure how long of a period before it needs a kick again. Once I find a pattern, I may try to schedule a run every few hours, or every few hours after you turn on the device.

NuShrike

Sep 18, 2007

Updated version posted which makes sure the connection to the GPS is shut off before the app exits. I had a strange issue of battery drain that I couldn't trace to a dangling process otherwise today.

Verified GPS operation and shutoff with a Kaiser which has the useful GPS blinky lights, and with HomeScreen PlusPlus which shows battery drain levels.

Works great with CamerAware Buddy and Navizon.

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area
any plans on making a icon for the app? I was thinkink I could map it to my ptt button or launch from my favored programs list. thanks

sblop

Sep 11, 2007
Svendborg
www.info2us.dk
Great app.

I just had the problem wit batterydraining.
The last two days I have been happy if my phone could do 6 hours. :)

I have notised that the program gives a pop-up telling weather or not I has gotten a gps fix... - As I have my phone restarting automatic about 3am, I would like to know if the program disconnect from the gps before this popup shows, so my phone doesnt drain during the night. ;-)

NuShrike

Sep 18, 2007
I just had the problem wit batterydraining.
The last two days I have been happy if my phone could do 6 hours. :)

I have notised that the program gives a pop-up telling weather or not I has gotten a gps fix... - As I have my phone restarting automatic about 3am, I would like to know if the program disconnect from the gps before this popup shows, so my phone doesnt drain during the night. ;-)
I've had my phone unplugged overnight and didn't notice any abnormal battery drain with the latest 1.0.0.2 version (90% -> 70% batt).

It doesn't disconnect from the GPS until the pop-up, so I'll add something smarter to either keep it running for the full 5 minutes even if you power-off the device, or suspend it when your device does power off.

wanwarlock

Aug 13, 2006
sounds like a good app. will give it a try on my touch pro.

sometimes i have a long TTFF so will try this.

Noonski

Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Thanks a bunch.

Just today i figured out it had to to with activating The GPS beforehand.

And then Dave points me to this.

I'll be doing loads of resets to check this baby and the difference it makes.

Thanks again Looks like a life saver.

NuShrike

Sep 18, 2007
version 1.0.0.3

never seen one
(and yes the shortcut IS in my startup folder)
Hey, so found some multi-threaded synchronization errors that caused the pop-up dialogs to fail.

New fixed version posted. Thanks for the pointing this out! Still working on a fancy icon, and I'll probably migrate the pop-up to use the native Notification framework instead.

NLS

May 27, 2005
Piraeus
www.ilogic.gr
Thanks - but to be honest I hate the pop-up... :)

I would prefer some kind of system notification that doesn't get in the way - but I suspect it would make the program larger...

So far I haven't noticed a difference. What is the correct way to use? Make sure to make a soft-reset in the open air?

NuShrike

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks - but to be honest I hate the pop-up... :)

I would prefer some kind of system notification that doesn't get in the way - but I suspect it would make the program larger...

So far I haven't noticed a difference. What is the correct way to use? Make sure to make a soft-reset in the open air?
Almost done with the Today screen pop-up that works like alarms and reminders. :)

The usage is basically just use your device as normal, and soft-resets will try to kick-start GPS settings. Otherwise, run the shortcut, or the app, directly if you don't want to soft-reset. I'm finishing up an icon so the whole thing can be installed like a normal app to make this look nicer.

Last edited: